weird internet trouble

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nbaker756, Nov 20, 2006.

1. nbaker756 macrumors member

so when i go to use my computer today, it wont connect to the net. not trhough wifi or ethernet cable in my room. i tried my friends, etc and no luck. now when i went to the library, the net connected completly fine on the wireless. my roommates have no problems with our router or the plug ins in the room. what could be causing this? when i go into windows it even works!

2. knome macrumors 6502

knome

i've been having problems exactly like this. Are you on a college campus?

3. nbaker756 thread starter macrumors member

college

yeah i am. my friends wiht macs seem to have no problem, ill check it out though.

4. pianos101 macrumors regular

interesting...I've also been having the same exact problem. On a college campus, but wifi works fine through my router (which is connected to campus network) or campus wifi. Connecting to ethernet thorugh router or directly to campus network (all over campus) doesn't work. Apple told me it might be the network, which it seems to be. Ethernet works fine on boot camp, too. Let me know if you find anything....should be interesting

5. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

check your Ethernet settings. Are you getting an IP address from the server? More specifically, what IP address are you getting? Something in the 169.254.0.0 range?

6. nbaker756 thread starter macrumors member

so far

i get a 192.... address from the ethernet and the router. the router is an older aiport but it works and my roommates, who have windows and when im in bootcamp, the network connects fine... its def. something on the mac side but i dont know what bc when i use the campus wifi, it gets the normal 143... address fine.

7. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

ok...it's a shot in the dark, but try this:
    1) open up terminal
    2) type this in exactly as shown lookupd -flushcache
    3) it may or may not ask for a password, if it does go ahead and enter your admin password and hit enter. If it doesn't ask for a password, just hit enter

I'm guessing that since you're getting a valid IP address, you might be having a DNS issue. The terminal command will clear all of your DNS entries. It might make your internet connection work, no guarantees. But it's worth a shot.

8. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

One More Thing...

in your Ethernet preferences, make sure the DNS Servers box is empty. Unless you know the address of the DNS server, you want it to configure itself automatically...

Mine has two entries because I know the address...

Attached Files:

• DNS.png
      DNS.png
      File size:
      5.4 KB
      Views:
  9. knome macrumors 6502

knome

this doesn't seem to help me. This is the problem i had, one day the whole network went down for 2 hours, when it came back up i started having lag in games and so i rebooted. Fixed it, then i rebooted again and then it happened again but my computer wouldn't get an ip from the network. I reset my p-ram and SMC and volia i had connection back for about a week and a half and then it happened again but this time it affected windows too. So i reset it again and 4 days latter again and now its about twice a day for the windows side. supprisingly about 5 days ago my mac stopped having the problem. The only symptom it still is showing is that when i boot up or wake from sleep it takes a full minute to get an ip adress from the network. now in windows the problem is getting worse. Sometimes i boot up and no matter what i do it will not get an ip from the network, i have to reboot and reset a bunch of stuff and ocassionally reinstall the network drivers. On average it takes about 30 to 40 minutes to get the internet working on the windows side of my mac pro. This is driving me insaine, i'm desperate for a solution.

10. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

clearing the DNS cache wouldn't help you, inasmuch as your problem is a frequently dropped connection. nbaker756 is getting a reliable connection but is unable to access resources, which is (typically) indicative of a DNS problem. At least, that's the simplest thing and thus the one you want to check first.

it sounds like you might have a hardware problem. Have you tried replacing your Ethernet cable?

11. nbaker756 thread starter macrumors member

flushing the cache didnt help. i tried multiple cables with multiple jacks. nothing. wireless doesnt work either. now on the windows side when i do boot camp, everything works like it should. also, when im in OS X, it connects perfectly fine when im using the wifi in like the library, but not in my room. we have an airport and it works for the rest of my floor but me.

12. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

dang...that's a head-scratcher :confused:

have you tried creating a new user account and setting up internet access with that one? If it works, you could probably safely say that the problem is with your old account.

have you reset the PRAM?

13. nbaker756 thread starter macrumors member

did both to no avail. my school usually has the DHCP servers give out 143.0.0.0 ip addresses but all mine gets from the airport and ethernet are 192.0.0.0 addresses. now i have the router set so it would assign 10.0.0.0 addresses to all computers and it does to my roommates but not mine.

14. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

is the subnet mask in your Ethernet settings configured properly? Check the subnet mask settings on a machine on your floor that you know is working. Your subnet mask should be the same as the subnet mask on a working machine.

EDIT: you've tried to bypass the router, correct? In other words, you've tried to plug your machine directly into the wall instead of the router, and it still doesn't work?

15. nbaker756 thread starter macrumors member

so i did this and at first no fix. but then i put in a manual IP address that the windows side had recieved and now it works. thanks guys for all the help!!!!