Weird iPod Error.

Discussion in 'iPod' started by iShane, Aug 1, 2006.

1. iShane macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

My friend has a 4 GB iPod Mini. And she is getting the below error and I would like to know what it means. All help is appreciated.

Thanks. :)

Attached Files:

2. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

Thats obvious, iTunes is corrupt. No doubt it's been bribed. Or it's really rotten at heart.

I would try reinstalling iTunes.

3. Lebowski macrumors 6502

4. BrianMojo macrumors regular

That or you could run the utility the dialog suggested.

It looks like a file got corrupted. It happens every once in awhile, that utility should be able to help out.

5. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

:D nice

6. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

When I had Windows, it had a lot of errors. These error messages would tell you do do something to help the problem. Not once did doing what it told me solve the problem in any way.

Add another onto the vast pile of reasons why I switched. :D

7. iShane thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not using Windows, she sent me that screenshot.

I will have her try the things that you told me, and we'll see what happens. Thanks. :)

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Is the iPod mounting? I wonder whether Windows wants you to run check the start up drive or the iPod drive. If possible, do both. :)

9. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Her Mini's disk is probably about to go - files don't get corrupted for no reason. iPod_Control is the hidden folder created by Windows-formatted iPods in order to store the iTunes database and also all the tracks whic you load onto an iPod. The problem is on the Mini so perhaps she can try Restoring it.

Hope she has a backup (of the Mini that is, if she's loading it manually or of any other files which might be living on the Mini which isn't on her PC).

10. iShane thread starter macrumors 6502a

Would reinstalling iTunes revert all of her songs back to their original file names? Because she spent a very long time making sure every album title, year released, and genre were all correct. And she has a considerable amount of songs.

Thanks. :)

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Reinstalling the iTunes app shouldn't affect the song names, the playlists or the playcounts. This data is kept separate from the application in a file called the iTunes Library data file. It's in the My Music folder, within iTunes by default. :)

12. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

The album title, year, genre, etc. are meta-data. They're part of the file data itself, she shouldn't try to "manage" the filenames. Always let iTunes do all the file managing/naming/sorting/etc.

13. Noeld macrumors member

I had the same problem. Looked into it and was told that my problem was probably with iPhotos syncing with my iPod. Disabled iPhoto syncing and error disapeared. Was a little bummed about trying to figure out what picture was corrupt, as I have around 2000. So I renamed IPod Photo Cache directory, just as a wild guess. Re-enabled photo syncing and iTunes took a few minutes to recreate all iPod sized photos, but finished without an error. I'm not sure where that directory would be on an XP machine, but you might want to try that first.