Weird iPod problem: fast scroll & bands/songs starting with "the"

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Thomas Harte, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Thomas Harte macrumors 6502

In the past few days I have noticed that my 5G (approximately a year old) iPod is behaving very oddly. I have recently updated to iTunes 7.1 but cannot be certain that the two are linked.

The problem occurs when I run my finger quickly round the scroll wheel to activate the fast scroll feature, i.e. the feature enabled by a firmware update where you can just scroll to a certain letter of the alphabet. Albums and songs beginning with "the" are listed in the correct position (e.g. it goes His N' Hers, The Holy Bible, Homework, etc) but the fast scroll is picking them up as individual letter entries. So, for example, when I fast scroll through my albums list instead of the alphabet going A, B, C, D, etc, it goes A, B, T, B, C, T, C, T ..., giving me a 'T' every time a "the" album appears in the list and making the feature very hard to use predictably. This is happening on my 'Albums' and 'Songs' lists, but not my 'Artists' list.

Has anybody else seen anything like this? Does anybody have any suggestions for fixing this behaviour?

2. Krevnik macrumors 68030

Krevnik

I believe it is related to 7.1, in that they 'fixed' sorting so that 'The' doesn't force everything into 'T' (thank god, my movie list was 50% 'T'). But the fast scroll feature likely wasn't updated, and has a bad assumption. Time to file a bug! :)

3. Phuz01 macrumors member

Yup

I just updated to 7.1, and all the "The" albums have been placed into alphabetical order according to the next word in the album title, but when scrolling quickly, the alphabetical scroll turns to "T" whenever it hits a "The" album in sequence.

This has to be a bug, and if enough of us whine, it'll be fixed the next time around.

4. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Yeah now that you mention it, mine's doing the exact same thing. Not that much of a nuisance to me because 99% of the time I go through my library via Artist, but all the same it's a bug that shouldn't be there.

5. Phuz01 macrumors member

Fixed

This has been fixed in the 7.1.1 update that rolled out yesterday.