Weird issue with mouse (MX1000)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ravenvii, Jul 13, 2005.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Since updating to 10.4.2, my MX1000's left side-scroll rock (of the scroll wheel) now activates Spotlight in the menubar. What the? How do I disable that? I don't have any drivers installed for it. And don't tell me to install the Logitech drivers, because I won't. And don't ask why either.

Anyone else with a MX1000 or any mouse with rocking (side-scrolling) wheels have this issue?

2. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

would you be averse to installing usb overdrive instead of the logitech drivers? the only reason i can think of off the top of my head is that it somehow just got mapped to cmd+space :confused: great mouse, isnt it? got one ~1 month ago :D

3. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

I thought of that (mapped to cmd+space), so I went into the Spotlight preferences and disabled the keyboard shortcut. But the wheel left scroll still calls up Spotlight nonetheless.

4. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Whoa, I found another one... When I press the down-scroll cruise button (the buttons with the two arrows on it that are on the top and bottom of the scroll wheel), the app switch thing pops up (tab+cmd)! What's going on here?

There have to be a way to change this.

5. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I've got the MX1000 and it's working dandy for me. I am using the supplied Logitech Control Center though. No issues.

6. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

It makes me wonder, is Apple planning to release a new mouse soon, which has buttons for spotlight and app switcher, and the MX1000's buttons happen to overlap with the new mouse's in the default drivers?

7. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

8. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

That's an interesting theory, but it would seem like quite a leap for Apple to go from a single button mouse to something with so many features... would be nice. though!

9. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

I'm running 10.4.2 and am having no problems. Maybe it's because I have the locitech drivers running....

they're not that evil, you know.

10. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

i've got the same problem since i updated. weird isn't it.but my sroll wheel side to side works just fine(as far as i remember i'm not on my desk right now and i'm to lazy to go check it out. i also do not have any drivers installed and i would prefer not to. maybe tomorrow when i have some time i will look into this a little bit deeper. it's not really a big deal but i can see that it is going to bother me. let me know if you find a solution or an easy fix for this.

11. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

Same here with my MX 900 Bluetooth. A fix would be good.

Does the software for the MX 1000 work with the MX 900?

aussie_geek

12. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Hmm, I also have the MX900 and sometimes have a problem with Expose as I mapped the buttons with its functions. When I switch users to my wife (who hasn't mapped the buttons) and switch back, sometimes even the left, right and middle buttons all trigger expose. I think this has to do with the fact that I wanted to use Expose in my wife's user with a mouse button. This seems to be a bug in my eyes. I can get back to normal when I press one special mouse button. I don't know if this is the same bug, just wanted to share a similar occurence.
    Don't think so.

13. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

See?! I called THIS one FIRST! And you all didn't believe me! PFFFFFT!

*smug look* I called it first. First!

14. DTphonehome macrumors 68000

15. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

OMG! Right on! Congrats!

Did you ever get it fixed? Maybe Logitech will put out an update.

16. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

Ever since I upgraded to Tiger the left to right rocking of the scroll wheel has not worked. It's a real pain in the ass too, I got spoiled using those as forward/back in my browser.

I use the Control Center and all my other buttons work fine to what I've configured them. Is there a particular reason some choose not to use it?

allison.

17. 53buick macrumors member

18. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

19. cwright macrumors 6502a

I don't know if this is related... but my MX1000 was having some quirky software issues as well, along with some erratic cursor movement (cursor will occasionaly skip a bit).

Anyway I called Logitech. They said it was a known issue with the mouse and he sent me a new one right away.

You might want to give it a shot.

20. appletalk macrumors member

I just switched from the logitech control panel to usb overdrive and all I can say is what a difference!

USB Overdrive can set a profile for any application. Now when I use Final Cut Pro, instead of my scroll wheel scrolling up/down, it scrolls my timeline left or right! Plus I mapped all my other buttons to common things I do inside Final Cut.

I can't wait to set up every app I use. It automatically instantly switches button profiles when I switch apps. This is going to be awsome.

21. cwright macrumors 6502a

wow, that's awesome!

Thanks for the tip... I'll give it a shot.
    Is USB overdrive freeware?

22. appletalk macrumors member

No, its shareware. Only things I see so far is a pop up ok box on start up, as well as a 8 or so second delay on opening the control panel to adjust settings.

No big deal for me.

23. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

This has happened to my MX 900 as well. Funny thing is that it only started as of 10.4.2. Could it have something to do with mighty mouse as you can configure the middle buttons for App switching.??

aussie_geek