weird iTunes double-up of songs (with phantoms)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by trackstar, Mar 22, 2007.

1. trackstar macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I am now getting a double-up of songs in iTunes, but half of them have the exclamation point next to them meaning they don't have files attached. (I now have 19,000 songs so I don't want to delete half of them manually!). The basic scenario when this happened is as follows: I moved my iTunes Music Folder to an external HDD and deleted it from my laptop, changed where iTunes looks for my music and all was good. Then I updated to iTunes 7.1.1 and it launched when my external HDD wasn't plugged in (I'm not sure if that caused the problem or not). But when I plugged my external HDD back in somehow I ended up with a double listing of the 9,500 songs in my iTunes Music Folder. I checked the 'Keep iTunes Music Folder organised' dialog box when it popped up (again, not sure if that matters) but I don't know how to delete the 9,500 songs with the exclamation point next to them! Not sure if it matters, but when I moved my music to the external I moved the whole iTunes folder, including the library files etc, which for some reason reappeared on my laptop, and which I promptly deleted but the phantom song names are still there. I've now moved everything bar the iTunes Music Folder back onto my laptop harddrive but still can't get rid of those phantom song names! Help!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, try opening iTunes while holding down OPTION and it should give you the option to select a library. Select the library on your external drive and see if the phantoms still arise. :)

3. trackstar thread starter macrumors newbie

Well that got rid of the exclamation points, but all the track names are still there in duplicate. Plus it made a new iTunes folder on my laptop again. Should I just leave the library file on my laptop and keep the iTunes Music Folder on my external? And is there an easy way to get iTunes to delete doubled-up songs?