Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacChaaz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2009
Hey guys. Here's something weird. Adobe photoshop cs4 runs on both my PC laptop and my 16gb quad core g5. But somehow photshop lags on my mac with 16gb of ram than it does on my 2gb laptop; especially when i use the magic wand function... it causes my g5 to freeze for a good 2 seconds. My 2 gb laptop has no such problem.

Is it just me or are PCs becoming the future of 3d design or video work or photo touch-ups????

I.e. the old mac vs PC commercials are being reversed?

howardnow

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2004
try PC Laptop vs. Mac Laptop (Snow Leopard)

I would suspect that what your looking at is old tech versus new tech. I bet your laptop has a new Intel chip to help it along.

Either way your G5 should not crash on Photoshop. You will need to get advice on that (maybe repair permissions, use TechTool or you might have a bad ram problem).

I use Photoshop on my G4 867mhz dual chip tower. It works pretty well, but my 2008 Intel Dual 2.53mhz MacBook Pro is much faster with intensive tasks.

MacChaaz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2009
true. G5s are 2004 tech compared to adobe cs4 which is a 2009 tech.

But adobe cs3 works fine on my g5, so im sticking with that.

osin

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
New Jersey
It can be caused by a slow hard drive.
Do you have any spare hdd that you can assign as a scratch disk for CS4?

Also CS4 uses more power of the graphic card...

zmttoxics

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
Ya, I suspect the G5 cpu just can't keep up. My 2.16 macbook out classes my 2.0 G5 in everything, as it should.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.