weird line of dead pixels on 13" air...?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ihonda, Nov 25, 2011.

1. macrumors 68000

Sep 17, 2009
    ok so last night i was watching a movie and saw what i thought was a hair or dust, here upon closer inspection it appears to be a small line of dead pixels, various colors. it actually almost looks like a tear.. has anyone experienced anything like this? id really prefer not to have it serviced because i just put my wrapsol on so id have to take off the top/bottom which then means id have to order a replacement...

here is a pic of what im talking about.
  2. macrumors 68030

Dec 14, 2009
    That really sucks. Have you tried any of those dead pixel fixer kind of websites? Although, I doubt they're dead pixels in the fixable sense. You're probably looking at a need to replace the screen.
  3. macrumors 68000

Oct 21, 2009
  4. macrumors 6502a

Mar 11, 2011
    First sign of the panel dying. There's a Samsung 2433BW at work that's been showing the same symptoms at the bottom-center for about 2 years. It's grown to "only" about 4 cm wide over time, but it's still spreading.

I'm sorry you're encountering this issue, but it's a good thing you caught it early... Your wrapsol can't be worth an LCD panel, you should bring it to the genius bar whenever you can.
  5. macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2011
    Call Wrapsol - I had a similar situation (not screen, but fixing a wrapsoled air) and they sent me a new one for the cost of shipping.
  6. macrumors member

Sep 14, 2011
    Another MBA and another screen problem. Dead pixels, uneven backlight brightness, black spots at the screen edges..
  7. macrumors 68020

May 28, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    That's actually better than getting a single dead pixel since you can be sure you're covered by warranty.

I had a dead pixel on my brand new 13" MBP a while ago and Apple didn't want to replace it since it didn't have 3 dead pixels or whatever the minimum number was.
  8. macrumors 6502a

Mar 11, 2011
    Actually, MBA screens are a non-issue: the number of people complaining about their screens is next to nothing compared to the number of satisfied customers who don't have a single problem (but remain silent about it).

And, like mentioned by Aras87, it's not a single dead pixel so it's covered by the warranty. Nothing to worry about.
  9. macrumors regular

Jun 7, 2011
  10. thread starter macrumors 68000

Sep 17, 2009
    Well I think I'm gonna wait until August to get it fixed incase the screen dies more. I don't really notice it so I'll wait as long as I can before I have to get it fixed. I can't be without my air and I'm pretty sure they wont just do a swap and I don't want to leave it so I'll have to wait.
  11. macrumors G5

Jul 29, 2011
    Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
    Spot On

+1 Apple will replace it, and I have had no issues with my 13" Air.
  12. thread starter macrumors 68000

Sep 17, 2009
    Replace it on the spot for a new one or will they have to check it in for service?
  13. macrumors Pentium

Jan 28, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    When I had my MBA display swapped out, they just ordered it and I left with my MBA that day. When the part came in, they called me, I dropped the MBA off and the next day I picked it up.
  14. macrumors member

Nov 12, 2011
    Hi there!

How old is your machine?