Weird MBA fans

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ninjaboi21, Apr 25, 2011.

1. macrumors member

Oct 23, 2010
    Hi MacRumors,

just recently got my MacBook Air Ultimate 13" and so far I love it. It's small, mobile, awesome SSD and plays Starcraft II pretty good with its 320M.

I do have a serious problem though, which I just got recently. Please bear in mind that I just received it. Sometimes when doing absolutely nothing (CPU idle at 93% and 55° celsius) the fans suddenly kicks in and increase to a 'stunning' 3000RPM. Then after a while, it slowly runs down to 2000RPM but after a few minutes, it goes up to 3000RPM again. As I write this, it's currently 2900RPM

So I just sat it there, did not touch it at all. Saw how it went from 3000RPM to 2000RPM then back up to 3000RPM again. Here is a SS of my processors.

Is there something I can try to do, any magical tricks - like PRAM or SMC resetting? I really don't want to send it back for a repair, as it's my primary school and work computer. It would be hard for me to even miss it for 14 days.

I hope you have tried something similar and found a fix to this problem. Thanks in advance.
  2. macrumors Westmere

May 16, 2008
    Your CPU won't be at 93% if you're doing "absolutely nothing". Use Activity Monitor to see what's consuming system resources.
    3000 isn't "stunning", as the fans can spin over 6000 rpm, when needed. There's nothing wrong with your MBA. You just need to determine what app/widget/process is placing demands on your CPU, which increases heat and causes the fans to spin up.