Weird Microsoft question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by IDANNY, Dec 13, 2004.

1. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

Weird Microsoft question

I lost my Microsoft x c.d.. I have my serial numbers because I always keep those in the computer. But I deleted the program to install the new Microsoft word. But i wanna put Microsoft x on a different one of my computers.

2. joeconvert macrumors 6502

AND?

What is the question? Will someone give you the CDs? Get Real please.

3. IDANNY thread starter macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

no I was just wondering is there a way to download it. Or am I just stuck until I find the cd.

4. russed macrumors 68000

russed

is this a "i have lost my cd" thread where you state something, hoping in vain that people dont think you are into piracy and you hope that someone will send you a copy of their cd?

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

If you already have one computer with it installed and a legit serial number, just copy the MS Office folder from one computer to the other. It should run fine--the drag-and-drop installs are the one thing MS got right.

I do this all the time where I work to avoid having to carry the CD arround then apply the updaters, since we have a site licence. In fact, since the registration information is stored in the Office folder, I don't think you'll even have to re-type-in the key.

6. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

Call Microsoft. If you do have a valid key, they will send you a new CD! ;)

7. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

will they really do that? i was going to suggest giving them a call and asking them, but if hcuar knows this then there is no reason not to call!

<edit> oh yeah, id also reccomend investing in a nice CD case to store all of your software. and maybe a string to tie to your computer so you dont lose all of your software at once! i keep all my software in a caselogic cd case (well a couple of them i have a 24 and a 48 case both overflowing) if i lost them i would be in trouble, but i keep a backup of my computer on an external HD so i guess i would be OK.

8. hikeNM macrumors 6502a

Good Lord. Maybe I'm just naive, or maybe I'm just a bleeding heart liberal, or both. But there is a chance he might have really lost them. In which case, it's a very legit question. Not all of us out here know exactly what to do in every situation that arises, especially dealing with microsoft.

If you don't have trust in the guy, then don't try to help.

Do we really need these kinds of responses?

9. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I think they will actually do this IF you are also the registered owner they have on file - for a fee, of course.

Or at least they used to in the olden days.

10. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

sort of. if it was anything else physical, it would be a rather silly question to ask, isn't it? "i lost my watch. i have the receipt. where can i get a replacement?"

just because there might be a way to obtain a duplicate copy doesn't mean you are entitled to a replacement, however you legitimize it...

the lesson is, don't lose the CD. that's what you paid for - you paid for a license to run the program off the CD you bought or installation from it (and make backups). you didn't buy the right to use one copy of the software in any form or shape.

wouldn't you be more careful where the CD goes if you knew there was no way to obtain another copy?

11. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

When you buy a copy of Office, you're paying for the license not the media.

The CD-Key is his license. It is tied to him. They'll probably just charge him shipping and handling and send him a CD marked "REPLACEMENT"

12. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I find it weird that he is smart enough to store "copies" or the serial numbers but not the CDs mind you, but not so smart enought that he lost the original installer CD media...hmmmm :rolleyes:

13. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

perhaps it's the license to use the included media and derivatives..?

whatever the precise licensing term is, there's no reason to ask here if there are ways to get replacements. ask microsoft. ask the reseller. but coming here sounds like phishing for those willing to give a pirate copy..?

i don't know. i don't know the orig. poster. but it's probably not a good idea. just go look at wasteland - tons of posts about people who think nothing of pirating stuff...

14. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

To order replacement CDs from Microsoft call:
    (800) 360-7561 for the US
    (800) 933-4750 for Canada

15. IDANNY thread starter macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

I am not the one who keeps the c.d.'s my dad dose :rolleyes: . He losses everything. But I asked him if he has the license and he said he dose. He sent it to me. I know you shouldn't loose the c.d.. My dad keeps everything witch you think would be good but we have had over 50 apple computers go through the house thats allot of c.d.'s. I will give them a call when my dad gets home tomorrow. We have another an imac with word x on it but when I copied it it like kept the serial number from that computer. Is there a way to change the serial number.

Thanks for all the help. :)
    The macrumors people are always helpful

16. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

See the thread titled, "Microsoft Ticks Me Off - Broken CD". Microsoft will charge you $25.00 for a replacement CD plus shipping + tax. The replacement CD will contain a new serial number.

17. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Call Microsoft. They will charge a small fee for the replacement CD and shipping.

18. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, I also see a problem in that he's storing the serial numbers on his computer. Which means of course, if his hard drive ever fails.... :rolleyes:

19. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

The software, music and movie industry keeps bringing this argument to courts: when you purchase software/music/movies, you're buying a LICENSE to use said software/music/movies.

Of course, you do pay a little fee for the actual medium that contains the data, but that's only for distribution.

All the companies SHOULD have "I've lost my medium, can I get a replacment? Here's my license/serial number for it" in their customer support. Of course they can charge you shipping and medium cost, but the license is already paid for.

20. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i guess you are right, but i think you missed my point a bit. my point is, why can't people treat their software/music/movies as they do other stuff they own? why can't people keep track of their CDs and DVDs? do you just "lose track" of your iPod? your wallet? your credit card? what happened to being responsible for what you have?

just because you can have replacements, you are going to neglect keeping track of it?

21. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

So I've gotta say it's nice to finally run into someone who's never lost anything! :D It must be nice, always having the TV remote right where you left it, never having to go hunt for your car keys, never misplacing your mobile phone...

It's funny that you picked some of those examples. A friend of mine just lost his iPod for about a week. It finally turned up in his couch cushions.

People do lose things. It's got less to do with cost than it does with size, in most cases. Many of us have 100s of data and music CDs - individual ones get misplaced sometimes. Usually it's because the item has been left someplace odd, and you don't recall the last time you actually used it; but it happens all the bloody time.

Most people understand this implicitly. Feel free to keep beating your dead horse though. ;)