Weird Powerbook Display: Solarized!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by swizzlestick, May 10, 2004.

1. macrumors newbie

May 10, 2004
    Hi...I wonder if anyone has seen this. I was running Jaguar on my 15" aluminum PB and one day I came home to find the display completely "solarized" in black and white. Very bizarre. I installed Panther and it is still like this. The machine boots in regular color (and did the entire Panther install in color), displays my desktop in regular color for a moment and then everything goes blooey. I've done a reset...nothing changes. Someone suggested bad logic board.
    Has anyone experienced this?? Please email me...

2. macrumors 603

Oct 8, 2003
    Canberra OZ

So no config setups change odd. Have you tried recalibrating your screen under Display -> Color ?
  3. macrumors regular

May 10, 2002
  4. macrumors member

Jul 24, 2002
    Have you checked System Preferences -> Universal Access -> Switch to White on Black? (If this is the culprit, the button should actually say "Switch to Black on White.")

EDIT: Datazoid's key sequence is the shortcut for my suggestion. Didn't realize that.
  5. macrumors 68020

Aug 9, 2000
    that's very bizarre considering it has to switch into b&w mode... my suggestion is the same as those above.
  6. thread starter macrumors newbie

May 10, 2004
    Yes, that worked!

Hi..thanks for the replies. It was the Universal Access setting, which I didn't even know existed! I think Larry the cat must have sat on the keyboard and did it when I looked away. This saved me a trip to service center who said they thought it was a logic board issue.
    Much appreciated- good thinking!!!