Weird problem with Fugu

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Maritan, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Maritan macrumors regular

At my university, we have this general storage space where you FTP in and can store whatever files you want etc.

My brother logged in and put in a couple of mp3s for me to check out. (Just to clarify, I bought this CD online, and I just want to listen to a couple songs before the CDs reach me.)

Anyway, I try to just drag and drop them in my home folder, and it doesn't work. Fugu shows the pic I have attached and disappears within a couple seconds.

I have even tried ctrl-clicking and tried to download the file. No dice.

I deleted the plist, and tried it again. But that didn't work either. Any ideas?

TIA.

Attached Files:

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Fugu is for Secure FTP. Are you sure your school is using that? If it is secure, you could try terminal to get the files using the scp and ssh commands.

For plain ol FTP, try another client like Fetch or something similar.

3. Maritan thread starter macrumors regular

The weird thing is, this has worked before. I have transferred at least a dozen mp3s. At the very least. And all of a sudden it's stopped.

I'll try Fetch and see if that works.

4. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

5. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

if you're just reading over ftp (and not writing files), then just type in to safari: ftp://[I]urlhere[/I]. that will tell finder to mount it. try copying it that way, that is, if it's not secure ftp.

reality

6. Maritan thread starter macrumors regular

It is secure FTP - assuming that secure FTP means you have to use a username and password - which I do.

Anyway, I "solved" the problem. I had to do a secure copy of the files to transfer it to my computer. :confused: Drag and drop worked perfectly fine before, but now for some reason, it won't do it!

Thanks for all the answers guys.

7. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Secure FTP is really a tunnel of FTP over SSH so that everything is encrypted. It has nothing to do with the fact you use a username and password.

If you had to do a secure copy, then it is indeed SFTP. Fugu should work in this case.

Glad to hear you got your files.

8. rikers_mailbox macrumors 6502a

looks like this thread is dead, but i'll post anyways.

your problem may be attributed to weird permission settings on the file. you said someone else put the file in you "schools FTP site" (which is most likely AFS)?? you two may not have the same privledges in that AFS directory. *and*, AFS privledges can be different that the normal network system privledges.

there is a way to view file ownership in Fugu. try contol-clicking one that file for 'Get Info'

my .02c

9. Maritan thread starter macrumors regular

Rikers - My brother has my login and password. He is in a different country altogether, but since he logs in with my name and password, I don't see why we should have different permissions.

I don't have those files anymore in my space, but if my brother puts something there, I'll see what permissions the files have.

BTW - it is AFS.