Weird problem with sisters iPod mini

Discussion in 'iPod' started by prostuff1, Nov 13, 2005.

1. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

I bought a computer in august while the student rebates thing were going on and you could get a free iPod mini. Well when i got mine i gave it to my sister. Recently she has told me that it does not seem to be working. She siad she plugs it into the computer and nothing happens. She said she was using it and had let it sit for a couple of day and the battery ran down, so she pluged it into the computer and let it go for over ngiht. Well she still cant get it to work. It does not seem to be charging. I am about 2 hours away from here right now and i can't mess with it so i am just going on what she is telling me.

I have had her open disk utility and see if she could mount it from there, i told her to leave it plugged in over night, and i try to have her reset it but there is no power there to even turn it on and reset it. So i am stumped!!

Is it a bad HD, battery, what?? It had been working just fine for about 2 months or so.

2. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Does she see anything at all on the screen? Does it say it's charging, or is the screen just dead?

I think the iPod should work when plugged into a power source, whether the battery is good or not. If it doesn't do that, it's probably dead circuitry or a bad hard drive. Or maybe even a bad cable...

3. haiggy macrumors 65816

This happened to my sister's iPod mini.... I was told from some people that it was the logic board. Not sure though... haven't gotten it repaired yet.

4. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

Why don't you go into an Apple store and get it replaced if needed or fixed? It should still be under the 1 year warranty.

5. prostuff1 thread starter macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Thanks for the input!!

I am not sure if it is a bad cable as i am not even close to her right now. I told her to go over to a buddies and get another cable that is there.

If that does not do anything then she is going to bring it to me over Thanksgiving.

Thanks again!