Weird request: Need command to crash iTunes on demand

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by BJB Productions, Jan 19, 2011.

1. macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Ok; I know the title is really weird...I'll try to explain. I'm in need of some code I can run through Terminal to make iTunes crash. I don't want to ruin anything! (but this is needed for a video I'm working on.) If there's no code that anyone can come up with, is there another easy way to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance!

2. macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Command + Q on the keyboard.

Or, open a terminal, run ps -A, find the process number for itunes, then type kill -9 "pid" where "pid" is the process id of itunes as given by the ps -A command.

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Thanks. Sorry I should of clarified: I need it to generate a crash report after it closes. (That's why I was truly looking for a way to crash iTunes, but not harm it)

4. Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Crashes cannot really be generated. Any re-producable crash should/will be fixed by Apple.

5. macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

In that case, just keep using it. iTunes will take care of the crashing eventually. ;)

6. macrumors 603

Code:
    killall -SEGV iTunes

I recommend reading the man pages for killall and sigaction so you understand at least vaguely what it's doing. I expect this recommendation will have little or no effect.

7. thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Thanks! Worked like a charm. Now I can crash iTunes on demand..wooo. :p

8. macrumors newbie

I realize this thread is a dead letter office. But in answer to the original question, Command-T crashes iTunes every time. I know this because I accidentally do it frequently when I mean to Comman-Tab my way to another app, and hit command-T, like open a new tab on most browsers.

9. gnasher729, Apr 12, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013

macrumors G5

gnasher729

Does it indeed? Not in my experience. I have plenty of complaints, but none about it crashing.

Only if you have a visualizer installed that crashes.

10. macrumors 65816

Partron22

Command-T is supposed to bring up the visualizer (color organ/lightshow/whatever). It does on my Macs. Check your Visualizer submenu selection in iTunes' 'View' menu. There are some old visualizer modules out there that can cause crashes, but Apple's 'iTunes Visualizer' should not.

11. macrumors 603

ArtOfWarfare

I didn't even realize the current version of iTunes still had a visualizer... I had figured in doing away with the bloat they got rid of that... not that it mattered... as soon as iOS gained the ability to update itself OTA, I stopped opening iTunes ever. I use Spotify for all my music needs. I can't even imagine what Apple could do to make me ever want to use iTunes again (duplicating Pandora sure won't do that. If I wanted Pandora, I'd use Pandora. I don't like Pandora though - I like Spotify. And I can't imagine Apple duplicating Spotify + all of the Spotify apps I like using.)

12. macrumors P6

Peace

What is the purpose of a "created crash" ? For all intent and purpose and by definition it really isn't a crash as far as bug reporting and debugging is concerned.

If it works and you purposefully crash it it's not a crash.

ymmv

13. macrumors 603

See first post.

14. macrumors P6

Peace

I saw the first post.

If he's trying to show a video of iTunes "crashing" using the kill command will generate a different log than an actual crash.

15. macrumors 603

ArtOfWarfare

If this is for a non-educational movie, then it doesn't really matter. IE, a movie with a 1337 hacker who can crash iTunes. That's how you know he's 1337.