weird shuffle problem

Discussion in 'iPod' started by SeVeN, Dec 5, 2006.

1. SeVeN macrumors 6502a

i gave my brother an iPod Shuffle that i had but didnt really need. there were some songs on it but i sent it to him like that. he got it and plugged it into his iMac G3, and the iPod charges but doesnt show up on his desktop or finder. he used the software disc that came in the box. although i have never had to use that with iTunes 7. any ideas on what hes needs to do to fix it?

thanks

2. Jimmieboy macrumors 6502

Jimmieboy

What version of OS X is he using?

3. SeVeN thread starter macrumors 6502a

Panther. and i was on Panther at the time i was using that Shuffle

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Does it show up in either iTunes or Disk Utility, even if only momentarily? :)

5. deebster macrumors 6502

You might need to restore it to its factory settings, but of course doing so will erase the shuffle.

Try starting the iPod Software Updater app first (in your Apps > Utilities folder) and then plugging the shuffle in. Let us know what it says.

6. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

Is it charging (solid orange light) or the blinking orange light of death?
    If you can live with it being erased, Apple have released a reset utilty that may be more effective than the standard updater software at fixing otherwise terminal shuffle issues.

7. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Mine always blinks orange when it is charging... do you mean alternating between green and orange?

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Switching a shuffle from one computer to another automatically means erasing its music contents.

9. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

sorry, quite right. the blinking orange problem is more that that's all it ever does, even when not connected.
    yeah and that too :p I haven't had enough coffee this morning obviously.

One other thing, is it pluging all the way into the slot on the iMac? - I seem to recall it wouldn't quite fit on mine because of the iMac caseing getting in the way and i ended up using a usb extension cord - maybe it's connecting enough to charge but not to mount?

10. SeVeN thread starter macrumors 6502a

he doesnt care if the songs get deleted from it. he wants to put his stuff on there anyways.