Weird sound from GarageBand... please Help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by l3lue, Jul 11, 2006.

1. l3lue macrumors member

l3lue

I'm trying to use Garageband on a new MacBook. I've used it before on other computers and had no problems.

When I listen to the previews of the loops at the bottom, everything sounds perfectly fine. When I drag a loop on to a track, most of the time it does not sound fine. Here are links to audio examples... PIANO... DRUMS

You'll notice that in the first part of these audio clips I play the loop by clicking on it at the bottom of the screen. In the second half I play what it sounds like in a track.

If anyone could explain to me why they would sound different it would me much appreciated!

[​IMG]

2. drumpat01 macrumors 6502

drumpat01

they sound different because its converting them into whatever instrument you are draggin it into. For example, your piano loop was drug into what sounds like an electric piano track. Your drums sound like you drug them into a bass track. The best way i can explain to fix this is that when you want to add a new instrument, just drag loop into track area so that it auto creates your new track. It sounds like you are creating the track, lets say of a bass, and then dragging a drum loop onto it. So its converting your drum loop into a bass sound. I hope this makes since. If not, just tell me and I'll post screen shots.

3. l3lue thread starter macrumors member

l3lue

I see exactly what you're saying, and I'm actually doing what you're saying. That's why I posted the pic to show that the piano track is in piano, etc. I appreciate the help, any other ideas?

"just drag loop into track area so that it auto creates your new track".... that's exactly what I did

4. drumpat01 macrumors 6502

drumpat01

you didn't post any picture, just two audio clips.

I'll try to see what else it could be.

5. l3lue thread starter macrumors member

l3lue

oh, sorry about that. A picture shows up on my computer.... here's the LINK to it

6. drumpat01 macrumors 6502

drumpat01

when you double click on the piano icon, try selecting another software instrument and see if it at least will change to the correct something else that you choose. Then try to change it back to a piano. Maybe that will reset.

7. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

Well, something's overdriving the sound. First thing to try is command-b to pull up the master track. Maker sure the master volume is set at 0 db, then click the track info button and make sure the master track is set to default.

The clipping lights in your pic have pegged, so something is overdriving the signal. If the above shows no abnormalities, quit that project and start a fresh new project. Rinse and repeat the above if you're still getting distortion.

8. l3lue thread starter macrumors member

l3lue

Thanks for all the help. Nothing has worked yet though.

HERE is a video to help explain what's going on.

9. l3lue thread starter macrumors member

l3lue

10. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

11. l3lue thread starter macrumors member

l3lue

I started but didn't have enough disk space. I was hoping there was a simple solution but I guess I'll just have to free up some space and do so. Is this the best solution?