weird start up on mac g4

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ninja_Turtle, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

yeah, so i got my new PowerMac G4 quicksilver 1ghz :] and i have mac os x 10.3.9 and what not, i have 512 megs ram and im pretty happy with it, cept that when i shut it down or restart, it starts up and it brings up the little folder with the mac os 9 face, i know how to fix it, i just put in my old iMac keyboard and press option and i get my stuff back, BUT see i bought a new keyboard , a logictech, it has no option so i dont want to keep switching keyboards...

well anyways
    anyone know how to get rid of that little face at the begenning?
    i have no versions of mac os 9 installed, ...so what gives?:confused:

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I think you mean you are pressing "option" after restarting again, and are presented with your boot volumes. Then you select it, and it boots normally.

Try going to System Preferences > Startup Disk and select your OS-X boot volume. It sounds like the PRAM doesn't have any preset boot volume.

Hope this helps.

3. Ninja_Turtle thread starter macrumors 6502

yea thats what i meant by the option key, but yeah i went to system pref, and its selected under mac os x. any other things that can/might be wrong?

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Try resetting the PRAM.

Shutdown the machine.
    Hold down "CMD-opt-P-R" while starting, until you hear a second startup chime.

Then, go to Startup Disk, again, and verify your boot volume is still selected.

Next step would be to run "Disk Utility" and verify both permissions and disk are OK. If the disk verify require repair, you will need to boot off of your OS-X install CD/DVD, and run Disk Utility from it.