Weird thing happening

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Maynerd, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Maynerd macrumors regular

Jan 4, 2007
    So I got an iMac yesterday. My first apple computer since the apple IIe. :)

Did all the updates. Everything was going well. I started downloading things. For some reason after a while things that I downloaded or expanded to the desktop would stop appearing. I went to the finder and typed a partial name of the files and sure enough there they were. I then would click on the file name in finder and then the file would show up on the desktop. I rebooted (classic PC solution) and all of the files showed up on the desktop.

Anyone know why this happened?
  2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

Oct 12, 2006
    Pasadena, CA
    I've had weird things like this happen as well, and it seems like OS X has a bug in it where every thing gets layered on top of each other sometimes (like 20 icons sitting on top of one another and it only looks like 1). Not sure if this is your problem though. It happens to me very rarely.
  3. Maynerd thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 4, 2007
    Well at least it sounds like I'm not the only one who has heard or seen the problem. Thanks. I just realized how lame my thread title was. I don't see a way to change it though. Oh well.
  4. bitabytex macrumors member

Oct 26, 2006
    I've heard and seen this many times before, and after looking it up the only thing I found was a Finder bug. Hopefully they decide to get this one fixed in Leopard or in an update.
  5. aristobrat macrumors G4

Oct 14, 2005
    I've had that happen a few times too.

I've had good luck with using Command-Option-Escape and relaunching the Finder process.
  6. Killyp macrumors 68040

Jun 14, 2006
    Yeah, I think it's just a general bug in OS X. I've had some glitches with Intel Tiger (never had them with PowerPC Tiger on my G3).

Leopard should fix most these problems :)
  7. aristobrat macrumors G4

Oct 14, 2005