Weird YouTube connection problem on my MacBook

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by eraykarakuzu, May 27, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

May 27, 2010
    Hi everybody,

I've got a weird problem: I can't seem to access YouTube. I've tried all that I could think of. I'm using a MacBook 5.1 running OS 10.6.3.

A couple of days ago, and for no apparent reason as far as I am concerned, I started getting this message when I tried to go on YouTube: ''Safari can’t open the page “” because the server where this page is located isn’t responding.'' I also tried Firefox and Chrome to no avail. I was using OpenDNS at the time. I haven't experienced a similar problem with any other site. At it seems that the network I'm using makes no difference whatsoever; same story at home, at a friend's or in the campus.

Desperate for a remedy, I switched to Google DNS and went through all steps at . DNS settings seem to be working properly and it resolves YouTube through Terminal. Plus, when I use Network Utility to ping I get the following result: 10 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss.

My current settings are:

TCP/IP: Using DHCP (IPv4) / Automatically (IPv6)
    DNS: / Google
    Proxy: Use Passive FTP mode (PASV)

I also checked to see whether any of the programs I'm using might be interfering. I've run out of ideas.
    Should I reinstall the whole OS?

2. 1ne
    macrumors regular

Jun 16, 2009
    Canada Oil Country
    Do you have another machine to try accessing youtube?
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

May 27, 2010
    Well, my roommate has an HP (wireless at home), and one of my classmates has a MBP (wireless in the campus), neither seems to experience any problems accessing YouTube.

What do you suggest I do with these machines?
  4. thread starter macrumors newbie

May 27, 2010
    Problem solved!

Apparently, the hosts file got modified somehow. There were 2 lines related to YouTube (domain name, IP address etc.). I deleted those lines and saved the hosts file.

5. macrumors newbie

Dec 10, 2010
    what wxactly did you do????

i feel stupid, have the same problem on my HP.
    what exactly did you do??