Weirdest Mighty Mouse Thing

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by supergod, Nov 5, 2005.

1. supergod macrumors 6502

I've had the ol' mighy mouster for over a month. I've been noticing the strangest thing when I use it recently. If I use the mouse while wearing headphones plugged into the headphone port on my speakers and I use the scrollwheel on the mouse, I can hear the scrolling sound through the headphones. It's not loud but it's noticeable.

Not like I mind, I was just extremely confused. First I thought maybe I had left my microphone on, but nope. Now the only thing I can think of is that my speakers often pick up cell phone signals and plays them back distortedly, but even that shouldn't have any connection with what's happening!

The answer: my mouse is just that much cooler.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I think all Mighty Mouses do this (I don't have one so I can't check for you however).
    I know apple made artificial user feedback noises, but I always assumed they came from a speaker inside the mouse, not the computer speakers.

Here's a way to test...
    (Take your headphones off), and when scrolling listen for the clicking noise through our computer speakers. Now, unplug the mouse from the computer, and roll the scroll ball, can you still hear it? If you can no longer hear the noise, then that scroll wheel noise was meant to come from your speakers (which come through your headphones when you plug them in).

3. supergod thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, they do come from the speaker within the mouse. That is still the case. However, the same sound but slightly distorted comes from my headphones when plugged in to my speakers. I can only hear it with the headphones on (they are very large and completely cut out all external sounds) and even then, it is only very faint.

But no, there is not supposed to be any noise coming from the computer speakers normally, only from the mouse. And I have never heard of anyone else having this issue.

4. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

You might be hearing RF noise due to the computer itself processing your scroll commands. Do something else processor-intensive, and I bet you'll hear lots of squeeking noises as the system "thinks."