weirdest thing in a sweepstakes...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by OutThere, Jun 7, 2006.

1. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

So when I enter giveaways and such I usually read through all of the terms and conditions, just to be sure of what I'm entering on...

I entered the 'Countdown to Cars' giveaway today, just for fun (and the chance of winning a Mustang :p), and read through the terms and conditions. Well, about halfway through I ran into this:

(https://secure.carsgiveaway.com/pages/rules.htm)

WTF!? Can anyone explain this?

2. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

3. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

4. UberMac macrumors 6502

That's hilarious. Why oh why is that even there?! *much spluttering and laughage* I guess they just don't like the prospect of a Canadian winning...without cheating...at all...even with something mechanical!

Uber

5. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

How sad, a Mustang isn't a Mustang unless it's a V8. :p

6. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Because then its a game of skill not a game of chance and laws are different.

7. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

When I won a trip to LA for the Pepsi Play for a Billion Game, the rules stated that to win the billion, you'd have to exactly guess a random number that was previously chosen.

What they didn't tell you is that an actual chimpanzee plucked numbered balls out of a bag to create that number.

Scout's honor.

8. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

I believe it's pretty standard that you have to answer a "skill-testing" question to win anything in any sort of draw here in Canada. I remember, back when I was a young sinful meat-eater and supporter of corporate America, whenever I'd win a free burger or ice cream (or anything really) at McDonalds, I'd have to do a little math to prove myself worthy.

Is that not common elsewhere?

9. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

Yeah, at my work we give contest of this sorts (mostly for ski vacations) and under Canadian law you can't just "give" something away, the person has to "earn" it in some way. So thus where the skill testing question comes in.

It's an odd little law, I can't ever seen some one being refused a prize because of getting it wrong though.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Nope, not in the US.

11. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

What Mongo said, it makes the difference between a game of skill and a lottery. Canadian government takes a very very dim view of people running private lotteries. It's a franchise reserved for the Provincial governments to license out.

You'll also see "no purchase necessary" - to establish that it is not a game where you have to pay for a ticket. Of course, the terms of entry without a qualifying purchase are usually made unduly difficult - as in requesting an entry form by sending a stamped, self addressed envelope to Skokie IL. The postage costs make it prohibitive to enter. But it fulfilled the legal requirement.

12. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i thought that something similar came up back with some of the iTunes sweepstakes campaigns? i have a bad memory though

13. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

And according to my Canadian friends, it's usually something like "4 times 5 divided by 2 plus 1".

14. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

I've also heard that the question you have to answer is usually pretty easy. I doubt that requirement makes too many Canadians sweat. :)

15. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

More like: How many Molsons are there in a six pack?

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I just learned something new. I thought every sweepstakes had these stupid questions, not just us Canadians. :(

Yeah, they always ask that question. It's the standard. It would be pretty safe just to put 11 down without reading the question.

17. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Actually that varies by state. There are 2 or 3 where its verboten and a couple of others where its unduly complicated.

18. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

6 and 2/3rds...