Weirdness since downloading istat pro widget...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by student_trap, Jan 30, 2007.

1. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

Hey,
    i downloaded istat pro and another temperature guaging widget from the apple site yesterday and some weird things started happening, firstly things seemed slower than usual (i am using a brand new 2.33 mbp), and then my system froze and NO keys (including the off key) would work. I hard rebooted the machine and everything seemed ok so i deleted the widgets and went to bed. the istat widget had worried me as it asked whether i wanted to control the fans of my mbp myself, which i declined! however it was from this point that things became a bit iffy with my mbp!

this morning however things still seems a little less snappy than usual, and my dock decided that it would not magnify (i changed the settings for this to no avail) or come out of hiding. again a resart sorted the problem, but i am totally not used this sort of thing from osx (this is my first real day to day experience with osx on intel). are these problems caused by the widgets? or is it simply osx on intel that is the problem?

if it helps, a few days ago i was watching a movie and the sound cut for no reason, pausing and unpausing the movie corrected this, but again it seemed weird!

i'd really appreciate some imput on this, as my brand new computer is acting strangely, and i am not sure why!

2. student_trap thread starter macrumors 68000

student_trap

anyone? my mbp is much hotter than usual and i am concerned that i may have done something to the fans? how can i check?

3. student_trap thread starter macrumors 68000

student_trap

ok here is a photo of what it says, could this be affecting the fans?

Attached Files:

4. yod9999 macrumors newbie

as far as i know the extension is just so that istat pro can monitor the fans and temperatures, i don't think it allows you to control them in any way.

i've got a new mb which i've installed istat pro on and i've not had any issues. i know that's not very helpful for you however :rolleyes:

5. student_trap thread starter macrumors 68000

student_trap

ok so my dock has gone awol again, can anyone help?

6. otis123 macrumors 6502a

your relatively new to mac OSX right? (its okay i switched in april) i dont mean to call u stupid or anything but are u totaly closing ur apps when ur done with them? because thats the only think i cant think of and i got istat pro on my ibook G4 witch is a much slower machine and my OS is fine. although i never have got a fan RPM speed with it

*edit* sorry i didnt see ur sig...

7. student_trap thread starter macrumors 68000

student_trap

i have been using osx for years, but thanks for the imput anyway!
    yeah im not really sure whts going on, everything seems slower now...and i was so chuffed with my mbp at first!

8. CraigInCO macrumors newbie

Utilities

I can certainly understand your concern. I have not even downloaded iStat yet, just doing research to see if there is any issues.

You mentioned that you downloaded more than one utility. What was the other one?

I don't believe that iStat controls fans. I thought it was just a monitor.

You could try this:

RESET SMC

MacBook Air and MacBook Pro (Late 2008 and later)

1. If the computer is on, turn it off by choosing Shutdown from the Apple () menu.

2. Connect the power adapter to a working power source.

3. On the built-in keyboard, press (left) Shift-Control-Option along with the power button once.

4. Wait 5 seconds and press the power button to start the computer.

Note: You must use the keys on the left side of the built-in keyboard.

You should only perform an SMC reset when the MacBook Air or MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2009) has been properly shutdown. This prevents issues from occurring to the file system.

While the power adapter does not need to be connected to reset the SMC, it may be necessary in situations where the battery needs charging or if the computer has been without power for an extended period of time. You can also visually check the SMC reset by observing the LED on the adapter. It will momentarily turn off as the SMC resets.