Welcome the new, more powerful, DMCA

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by nbs2, Apr 24, 2006.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

Mar 31, 2004
    A geographical oddity
    Most of you know that I am a conservative Republican. You may even know that generally, I see the positives of the Bush administration. I'm a bit different - I believe that people have the right to defend themselves, and even take the offensive. That means that I can understand the Palestinian mindset. I like to think that I can understand, just a little, about why they do what they do. I believe that America should always act in her interests - and not those of others. I believe swift retribution for all attacks against the US. But, none of this has anything to do with the DMCA. So, why do I bring it up?

Because, while one source (especially CNET) is not enough to be an authority, I am upset. I believe that things have gone too far. And when I say that I side with the Democrat noted in the article (even though he is a VA Democrat...), I am really bothered. I am especially bothered by the breadth of the language - punishment for possession of hardware or software that can be used to bypass copy-protection. That language would have made it illegal for a PC user to have a keyboard (because of the Shift key) or anybody to have a Mac during the Sony rootkit fiasco. After all, they let you bypass the auto-run feature that made your computer special (of course Sony was misbehaving too...). Too broad.
  2. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Apr 1, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Well, there you have it. The smoking gun. People who make illegal copies are funding TERRORISTS! :eek: We'd better do everything in our power to stop them!

What ever happened to fair use and the first-sale doctrine? I don't want to buy a DVD that only I can use. I don't want a crappy video quality because I don't want to shell out cash for a new hdcp-compliant tv. This is getting ridiculous.
  3. yg17 macrumors G5

Aug 1, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    hardware that can bypass copy protection....hmmmm....wouldn't that be any computer with a DVD drive, since that computer would be capable of breaking DVD encryption. These people are ****ing nuts.
  4. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

Jul 23, 2002
    Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
    One article I read (may have been the same CNet article) pointed out that when Sony's discs installed malware onto your PC, you'd be violating the new and improved DMCA if you had Norton remove it.

Also, spyware, adware and even trojans could be protected software under the provisions as long as they contained a pretense of encryption.

It's getting to be high time to move to Canada and not have to worry about this kind of ****.
  5. XNine macrumors 68040

Apr 7, 2005
    Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Let's put it this way, if the government wants to come get me because I have ripped a few DVD's, bypassed the macrovision, cracked the protection on my iTunes songs, and downloaded a few singles, they need to come willing to kill me, because I won't go alive.

Tools have enabled us to backup copies of our personal copies, and that should be well within the scope of our rights.

There's a good and bad side to everything. It's how you enforce it that counts.

I really can't see how I'm providing the Jihadist movement by downloading the one good song Eminem had on his last album. Silly. Do you really think all of those pirated copies of XP in hong kong are really providing terrorists with bomb-making equipment? Or is it to make a few more dollars to provide for their families?