Welfare System in California

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by AppleGuy08, Jul 21, 2006.

1. AppleGuy08 macrumors 6502

AppleGuy08

One thing that has been on my mind latley, is our welfare system. I have a very large Russian population around my house, and i noticed that alot of them dont even work (yet they buy more expensive food than i do and some have better houses) So i was asking my mom how this is (shes a state worker so she knows) and she told me that Russians that come here (and some other ethnicities) get 2 times more money from the state than homeless and or non working AMERICANS.

I mean come on! I can understand that immigrants need help too, but personally i think we need to take care of our own first.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

And how exactly does she know that and is it even true?

3. AppleGuy08 thread starter macrumors 6502

AppleGuy08

Shes a state worker (works for california) Her friend (and our neighbor) works at the capital for the senate there, and she told my mom who in turn told me. It may not be exactly 2x more but i know they get more.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

5. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

It's cause there Commie swine.

+1 for me being so punny!!!

:cool:

6. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Sounds reliable to me.

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

ask your mom if they're both russian and homeless if they get three times the amount. then ask what they get if they're russian, homeless, and of the additional ethnicities to which you alluded.

8. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I've always found it absurd that convicted felons are granted free education while many young students from hard working families can not afford higher education.

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Is the multiplier just 1x for each attribute? Or is it some kind of cumulative system or perhaps a complex Google-like algorithm?

Those damned Russians. Worse than the Mexicans, ain't?

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

who knows what those crazy california lawmakers have come up with! i mean, we've always known that they love giving money to the russians, going back to the days of jerry brown.

and then there's that whole north vs. south thing, where they compete to see who can give away the most money to Pyongyang and Seoul. or is it Bismarck and Pierre? i can never keep those kooky laws straight! once we flew into LAX upside down!!!!

11. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

That's runway 11. You get used to it.

12. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

which in california they call "el even"! even though it's odd! loco!

13. AppleGuy08 thread starter macrumors 6502

AppleGuy08

haha, yall are funny. I will definetly call my neighbor tomorow. She will be able to give me more information about the whole system. What dou all you guys think about the damn immigration? Especially mexicans. I mean, it is scary to think that us whities here in california will probably be the minority in a few years. lol. Everytime i go into Walmart all i see are little mexican kids running around all over the store saying "como yomo noengaonfgaoipnfgongognngoignopngoiq3bngoiq3bgkogoi4bgoi4gbow4tbb" or w/e the **** theyre saying.

I sure wish i could come into a country and expect the people to speak my language and (if i had children) provide them with a free education and healthcare (THAT TAXPAYERS LIKE ME PAY FOR IN THE END). Another thing that scares me, is the fact that illegals are driving around without any insurance or licenses. Thank god for non insured accident coverage.

14. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Whoa.....this thread just took a serious nosedive into someplace I'd rather not go.

"Us whities"? Yikes. I guess you should stay away from Walmart.

15. AppleGuy08 thread starter macrumors 6502

AppleGuy08

haha, yah i wondered where this would go if i brought up this topic. Just ignore it and let this thread be lost in social issue history.

16. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Are you even a taxpayer? You sound like you're 14 years old.

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Um, since when can non-citizens get welfare? I mean, sure, maybe naturalized citizens who've been laid off. But if this is to mean illegal immigrants, even legal immigrants have a tougher time getting welfare after changes were made to the system in '96. My Mom used to work for the state and could tell you some stories, but most of those getting welfare are single Mothers, the very sick (such as those with AIDS, cancer, or the handicapped), and drug users who can't hold a job. Even some whose significant other is in the military, because they can qualify for food stamps. Most American born citizens, all legal.

What was the point of this? Some people are taking advantage of the system, some people aren't getting the help they need. And?

edit: Ah, now I see. This was just bad. There are some good arguments about immigration, but this just smacks of suburban spoiled racism.

18. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I can't stand people like that. I had the unfortunate experience of going to High School with a bunch of spoiled suburban brats. Every single day I wished that the spoiled kids would be forced to trade lives with a poor urban kid for a week or so.

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

To the OP: Source your claims please. Some proof besides "someone told my mother".

And to the person positing that felons are given free education while young people from hard working families are denied the same: also please post some kind of link to back up your claim.

Sorry folks, this is SOP in this forum. If you're going to make wild accusations, please back them up with some kind of link.

20. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Amen.

I'd be happy with just a week long, limited enrollment school exchange program ...

21. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Maybe because the more education prisoner's receive the less likely they are to be repeat offenders?
    Link
    Lowering the rate of repeat offenders means fewer people in prison which means less public money spent on prisons (which is good) and it also means there are more productive members of society out there earning money and paying taxes (which is also good). And maybe that money saved by having a smaller prison population could be put back into the public services (such as education) that have received large budget cuts to pay for the growing prison population. New York State of Mind?: Higher Education vs. Prison Funding in the Empire State, 1988-1998

The myth of education in prison creating a wave of "super criminals" was perpetuated by the same short sighted geniuses that failed to realize that stapling long mandatory sentences onto non-violent offenses would mean a lot more people in prison for a lot more years which will require a lot more money to build and operate more prisons.

Lethal

22. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I can't wait.

Immigration is the reason you're here. Unless you're 100% native American, of course.

Also, don't bypass the profanity filter. That's a universal forum rule.

You're 16 years old. Don't give me this **** about how you're a taxpayer. You have no idea what the real world is like.

23. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I just like the idea that a small programme like free prisoner education (mostly GEDs, right?) gets crapped on because there's no massive programme to give non-criminals free university education.

It's like how people complain about the cable TV in prisons. If it calms the general population and makes them more manageable, who gives a damn? It's cheap and effective.

Some people just don't like the idea of other people, like our friend AppleGuy08, for instance.

24. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Mostly GED's I think, although some states do offer 2 and 4 year college programs. And, like I said, the more education, the less likely to end up back in jail. From a link I posted above, "Most dramatic, however, is the data on those in prison: Inmates with at least two years college education have a 10% re-arrest rate, compared to the national rearrest rate of 62%. A Texas study is most revealing showing that the overall recidivism rate for degree holders in the Texas Department of Corrections between 1990-1991 was 15% compared to 60% for the national rate and a two year follow-up study showed that those with associates degrees had a recidivism rate of 13.7%, those with bachelor’s degrees, 5.6%, and those with master’s degrees zero (Tracy and Johnson, 1994)"

Lethal

25. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Does he have a job, even part time? A savings account? Has he ever bought anything? Then he's a taxpayer. His youth doesn't discount his opinion, however uninformed it might be. Even if he's not paying for it now, he will be when he grows up.

Why not just put them all under house arrest with ankle monitors? Certainly a lot cheaper than warehousing them. Then they can have cable television and air conditioning on their own dimes.