Well $35 is a big difference...3 last questions before I buy

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by niter, Nov 29, 2003.

1. niter macrumors 6502

Earlier, I posted about getting Apple's RAM in the iBook I want to order because it was only a $20 difference. Then, I found RAM that is $35 cheaper. That is a significant difference. Now, want to get the 3rd party RAM!

If I do this, how exactly do I put it into the G4 iBook? Is there anywhere I can get details with pictures? I have built several PCs before and I am comfy with handling computer stuff, but I do not want to go tinkering without full know how. Besides, I have never worked on a laptop before (hardware wise).

Also, how good is keynote? From what I see, it looks incredible. For my work/research/school, presentations are very important. I was thinking about getting it. Any opinions?

Lastly, is 40GB HD enough? My PC desktop has 40 GB, my PowerMac has 20 GB, and my old laptop had 30GB. I never came close to filling any of them up because I frequently back my stuff up. What size HD should I get, the 40 or 60GB? I do not think I will have to back things up as the iBook will be more stable than the PC, but is there something about Apples that I am missing since everyone gets the big HDs?

Thanks everyone for all the patience with my questions. I know I ask a lot!

2. m4rc macrumors 6502

On the iBook there will be instructions with pics in the help menu on installing RAM. Just print them out.

HD, go with the 60Gig. I have just under 7Gig of music on there, thats only 1554 songs, and I still have loads of CD's I want to include. It is harder to upgrade the HD later, and although the upgrade to 60Gig now is not cheap, it isnt that bad. Software takes a fair whack of HD space obviously, but it depends on what files you have on there. Personally I have 80Gig HD, and have 45Gig left - I have only had my PB 2 months. I know you put a lot of stuff on initially, but EVERYTHING goes and stays on here, even though I back-up. If I had the iBook, I with 40Gig I would be fast running out of space! It's up to you, and if you will be using you other computers too, maybe you wont need it, but I'd happily bet you would.

Marc

3. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Memory, HD

I have a 20GB in my TiBook and I've been hard pressed to fill it doing the normal sets of things, but I also tend to get rid of things a lot. I think the extra drive space will be important if you either have lots of music files, photos, etc.
    Memory is easy on Macs except for the G3 iMacs in my experience, and Apple has great help documents that show diagrams under the support tab on their website.
    Hope you enjoy your machine.

4. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

If you plan on using a DV camcorder and iMovie, get the bigger HD. Those video files take a ton of space when you import them.

Squire

5. niter thread starter macrumors 6502

I checked Apple's site and I found the instructions for the 14", but not the 12". Are they the same? When I went to my university bookstore to play around with the models, I was shown roughly how on the 14". Then, when I looked at the 12" PB (they did not carry a 12 iBook), I could not find how the keyboard came up. The salesperson was more of a PC person so he did not know either. Is RAM installing the same in a 12"?

Thanks.

6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

It depends what you'll be using it for and how long you plan on having it. My general rule is that it's better to have more HD space than not enough, but if you're going to be pressed to fill it, you might be best off just sticking with the 40 GB. I think lots of people nowadays don't backup their systems because they have room on their HDs for EVERYTHING. This can be a bad thing though, because if your HD dies, and you have no back-ups, you're SOL.

As for RAM, God yes, buy third party! Apple RAM is WAY overpriced. Curcial is very good, and personally, I have never had any problems with Kingston either.

7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Oh, and as for Keynote, it is noticebly better and cooler than PowerPoint in my experience, so I definitely think it's a good piece of software if you're going to be doing that type of work - definitely worth it.

8. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

The 12in iBook has the same RAM installation process as the 14in iBook, you lift up the keyboard and insert the RAM into the slot.
    The 12in PB has a little door on the bottom with 4 screws that have to be removed, then you can insert your RAM into the slot.

9. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

well i have about 72gb in HD space... spread over two drives and five partitions. i'm not exactly a power-user, no video or audio work, but i'm glad for my 72gb... i have never worried about HD space in years. i'm using maybe half of the space, with an accumulation of games, apps, old docs, and most importantly music. so, i'd say go for the 60, you'll be happier in two or three years time...

pnw

10. #Johnny5 macrumors newbie

DEFINITELY go with the 60GB hard drive! It's $75 to go from 30 to 60. If you wanted to do that yourself, right now, you'd have to buy a 60GB drive for about $200 - $250 and either install it yourself, or pay someone to do it ($40). Then you can try to get something for your 30GB drive on eBay. Looks like they're going for about $75 - $100 right now. granted, that's all prices right now. You'd end up wanting to get the 60GB drive in a year or so (that's all the longer it'll take to fill 30GB - trust me!). And then, how are you going to move all your data from your old drive to the new one? It's just not worth the $75 up front. I think Apple is giving you a good price for the hard drive upgrade.

Unlike their RAM... Definitely don't get your RAM from Apple - they overcharge all the time. Go with Crucial. They've got good prices, lifetime warranty, guaranteed to work (use their RAM selector, and select your iBook), and they have free shipping/no tax to boot! If you get it from Apple, you'll end up paying tax on it - that's another $8 or so - so Apple's RAM is actually about $43 more than crucial's.

So, get the bigger hard drive from Apple. Get the minimum RAM from Apple, and get the 512 from Crucial. That's exactly what I'm doing. Just gotta get the $$ together (and sell my tower!).

I think you'll be very happy with your iBook (although I don't even have mine yet!)