Well I guess that is it....

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by MacManiac1224, Dec 18, 2001.

1. MacManiac1224 macrumors regular

Well I guess that is it....
    I think we pretty much know there is no G5 coming MWSF. I thought about it, and I don't think Apple could successfully deliver the G5, because maybe all of the components are not going to be ready by MWSF. I think thier is no doubt there is going to be a G5 in MWNY, or even MacWorld Tokyo(unlikey), but then again who knows? So, lets see:
    MWSF:
    New iMac
    maybe a new digital device; conincides with the launch of iPhoto.(maybe)
    Apollo G4's, most likely will scale to 1.2ghz, or 1.3ghz (i hope)
    I guess that is it. What do you guys think about MWSF?

2. OSUbuckeyefan macrumors regular

I am also getting the sinking feeling that we won't be seeing the G5 at MWSF :(

I still hold out hope - though it is fading fast.

3. benmac macrumors member

I agree. I think we will see a new digital device (but not a camcorder, I don't think Apple will go into that market), it could be a webcam or maybe a digital camera. iPhoto will certainly be announced. And of course, imossible to forget, the bran new iMacs with TFT display! I think a new PowerMac G5 will be annouced later at MacWorld NY in July.

4. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

G5's

I dont know why everyone is so sad that there probably wont be a G5 coming out this Jan, or even this year.

Man, G4's are still really solid machines! It seems like a lot of people here on MacRumors were even willing to fork over dough for a G4 7460 as long as it was just CALLED a G5. Give Apple time, and they will deliver a G5 when they are ready. Personally, I want them to spend the time in making a good machine, and am willing to wait until they have what they consider a genuine G5 before Ill pay for it. They shouldnt make the mistake Sega made by releasing a new, half-baked system every six months. Now their hardware is gone.

As it is, use the computing power that the G4 offers, they are still very good.

5. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Yep - G4's still strong... a lot of people like to get onto the "next big thing" which is a lot of the appeal of the G5. But... the big question in my mind is... what Apple is going to do about dual processor support....

Right now, we've got 2 single processors G4 machines and a Dual.

Will that be the same config?

933mhz, 1.3, Dual 1.3?

I wouldn't mind if they went dual the entire line of G4's - but I dont' know if they can do so and keep the line at a reasonable price.

arn

6. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Yeah

Exactly! Dual Processors is definately an attractive and powerful system. I have a single, but would love to get my hands on a dual 800. If they had dual 1.3's, thats seems like a lot more to talk about than a G5

7. joey j macrumors regular

MacManiac1224> Well I guess that is it.... I think we pretty much know
    there is no G5 coming MWSF. I thought about it, and I don't think Apple
    could successfully deliver the G5, because maybe all of the components are
    not going to be ready by MWSF.

Perhaps; likely even. Which components wouldn't be ready by then?

> I think thier is no doubt there is going to be a G5 in MWNY, or even
    MacWorld Tokyo(unlikey), but then again who knows? So, lets see:

So the question shifts to the Mac line at NY. Will the line be formed of a
    hybrid of G4s and G5s, or will Apple shift to G5s wholesale?

> MWSF: New iMac maybe a new digital device; conincides with the launch of iPhoto.(maybe)

Boring, boring, BOR-ING. Give us some BIG hardware!

>Apollo G4's, most likely will scale to 1.2ghz, or 1.3ghz (i hope)

They better be well and truly past that. Despite this I'm hoping for only
    ~1.4 GHz although 1.33 GHz is slated to be the top end (but by MOSR, no
    less).

>I guess that is it. What do you guys think about MWSF?

Some reports maintain that Apple is recalling the G5s distributed to
    developers in February. Is this still the case? Are they being replaced
    with further test boxes or is it a permanent recall? If it is permanent,
    it would indicate a G5 launch around that time (to ensure continuity of
    development -- Apple wouldn't keep developers waiting until ~MWNY for
    G5s).

8. MacManiac1224 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, G5 is done, now I am hoping we can see some nice G4's, hopefully at some nice speeds. I would like to see 1.4Ghz G4's. I think that processor will be able to compete better with the other processors, considering Intel and AMD have the lead. I know, I know, G4 is faster, but I am talking from a sales point of view. I think if 1.4's were to come out that would be nice. I mean: doesn't 1.4 sound better then 1.3? but most likely, we will see a 1.3, but it's nice to hope. Right now, all I want is for Apple to gain more market share, I think they are on the right track, but we need some better speeds to compete with Windows World. Well, time will tell.