Well, I pulled the trigger on the MBP..so excited! Any good books out there for Macs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bastetbabe27, Nov 24, 2006.

1. bastetbabe27 macrumors newbie

Nov 8, 2006
    As of 9:30 AM this morning, a 15.4" MBP is on its way to me....

I'm a complete Mac newbie. Are there any good books out there explaining OSX?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    David Pogue's OSX: The Missing Manual (Tiger edition)
  3. AirFoil macrumors newbie

Jan 22, 2005
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    Congrats! I just helped my father setup his fully loaded 17" MBP.

Sweet machine.
  4. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

Aug 27, 2004
    Congrats. Nice machine. I agree with Blue Velvet - The Missing Manual is very well organised and written.
  5. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    If you live near any Apple Store they offer free orientation classes for OS X
    and for all Apple applications.

Just check with your store for their schedule.

There are also quite a few advanced on-line and intractive DVD courses.

Just Google Apple training.
  6. bastetbabe27 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 8, 2006
    2 Shipping Updates in one day! W00t!

Already everything but the lappy :( has shipped! I feel like an 8-year-old waiting for Christmas morning....

Anyway, thanks for the replies. I shall look into getting The Missing Manual and possibly into classes. But not until after break starts; after checking that everything's in working order, the laptop goes away until after finals, due to its great powers of distraction....The nearest Mac store is about a 45 min. drive away, so I think I'll initially stick with a book that I can refer to any time I want, and if I have further questions, there's always this forum!

7. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

Sep 27, 2006
    I've never read it, but I've paged through it at a Barnes and Nobles. There's a Mac OS X for Dummies book. It looked pretty informative.