Well, I'm a Junior

Discussion in 'Community' started by ibookin', Jun 13, 2003.

1. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

As of 1:15PM PST today I have completed my sophomore year of college and am now a Junior.

I feel very good about it, and I did really well on the final I had today.

Who else completed or is near completion of yet another year of school.

2. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

i would imagine that most of us have... i just finished my senior year of high school, but with some luck i will graduate in 3 years, so hopefully i'll just be a year behind you, you little smart ass. ;)

3. ibookin' thread starter macrumors 65816

ibookin'

If you're considering a sciences major forget graduating in 3 years. At state schools, you'll be lucky if you make it in 4 sometimes.

4. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

even with ~30 hours of AP credit? i am taking like 2 first year classes next semester, and it isn't becaus i am going to take my first year classes later. i am thinking a summer term or two and i am set

5. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Wow

You are 16 years old? Jesus dude. What are you going to do when you want to go have fun at college and party. You cant even drive with others in the car yet...can you?

Thats cool that you are going through college though, but take your time and have fun.

6. ibookin' thread starter macrumors 65816

ibookin'

I'm not familiar with the way A.P. credit works... is it a 1:1 ratio for hours earned?

Anyway, most sciences majors at my school require over 190 units to graduate. If you already have 30 and will have maybe 40 when you enter, you still have 150 units to go. If you're lucky you can get 50 or so units a year, making that 3 years of time required. Pretty nice.

I never got the chance to take A.P. classes (entered college at 13), even though I probably could've.

7. ibookin' thread starter macrumors 65816

ibookin'

Re: Wow

I'm 15. I can't even drive yet. Haven't even started learning.

The disadvantage to the way I'm doing it is that I'm missing out on the partying in H.S. and the partying in college.

Oh well... at least I can get a Ph.D when I'm 20... :D

8. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

nah, AP is variable depending on your score and your class. AP calculus BC will get you 6 hours, bam. AB only gets you 3. the history classes are mostly 3 hours apiece, as are the english ones. Physics C, i think, gets you a good 6 hours too, if you take both E&M and Mechanics.

9. ibookin' thread starter macrumors 65816

ibookin'

I meant how the hours transfer over to college units.

10. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

then you've got it ass backwards. most colleges use hours as a measure. as in, hours a week a class meets. each AP class is 1 credit in high school. so, calc BC is 6 hours of college credit with 1 HS credit, and so on. i don't know many colleges that use units, and certainly my parents don't use that word talking about them.

11. ibookin' thread starter macrumors 65816

ibookin'

I see now. I know that most colleges use hours as a measure, but since I go to a screwy school (still on the quarter system... oh yeah! :D) we use "units" as a measure. By units I meant hours. Just used to using the different terminology, I suppose.

12. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

Hey I beat all of you!

I got four years, 18 years ago!

Oh my god, that makes me...........:(

Looks like now is a good time for a mid-life crisis. Well maybe tomorrow.:p

BTW, congratulations! Keep it up. School is well worth the effort, at least I think it was. I don't remember too much of my college experience.:D

13. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

i know with calc BC it depends on your score too. At my college you can get the first semester of calc with a 2 or a 3 and if you get a 4 or 5 you can get 2 semesters.

14. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

Re: Wow

best part is... when you're struggling for your keg/stripper money, the genius/nerd will not only have a job (thus providing for both of those things and more), but he may even use that nerdness for something like finding a more potent type of alcohol that gets you drunk even faster yet doesn't leave you with a hangover...

believe it or not, not everyone cares about "partying". your sense of fun and someone else's can (and do) differ.

15. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Shadowfax

Take your time big guy, life is waiting for you, and will be there after you get your degree. In the mean time savor these years, don't be in such a rush.

16. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

Re: Well, I'm a Junior

My advice to you; start drinking heavily. ;)

17. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Well, I'm a Junior

congrats...wow, you are really young and may have your BA or BS before you can vote...heck, you can go to law school, become a lawyer and work drunk driving cases and still not be old enough to drink ;)

at the junior college i prerennially go to like about half the school's population of older adults, in the last decade they have been taking 12 and 13 year olds who are gifted and letting them take classes and getting associate's degrees in some cases

i think if they can handle the workload, then let them take college courses and get college degrees

when i entered college at 16, it was because i was pretty smart in high school so i split the last two years of high school with college...in a way i missed out on high school life because of it

in my freshman and sophomore years of high school, i got to play sports, but in my last two years of high school, i was in junior college also so i didn't get to play sports...i was a junior varsity athlete in high school but because i was not there for junior and senior years in sports, i never got to play varsity...i missed out

the trick to college is to learn first, then get a degree, and then be young (if possible since it's best and easiest to get schooling out of the way before marriage and children)... but i would say in that order...a lot of the younger students i meet feel compelled to be the youngest to enter college, get a degree, and move on with life...but it's not a race and when junior has his degree or two, chances are he still has to live under the same roof as mom and dad;)

18. evil macrumors 6502

im practically 23 and will be in my last year of university.
    i have been in no rush whatsoever to finish school. i have already attended 3 different schools and have taken off for a year.
    point being-whats the rush?
    after school comes the job that will be the rest of your life. yeah yeah..you can switch careers and all that but why try and rush through the years that are supposed to be the best part?
    in the end i feel a bit sorry for the ones who, like the thread starter, who have run right through the years that are not only for learning but also gaining various life experiences.

19. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

and when one finishes high school or college and enters the work world, it sometimes seems like an endless, boring, tedious void out there of making rent or mortgage and paying off the car and getting groceries

even the rich are not immune to the drudgery of adult life at times

the best years in life are the school years

20. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I think that each stage in life has it's advantage and disadvantages. It's important to live each day to the fullest. The future will take care of itself!

21. janey macrumors 603

janey

Re: Re: Well, I'm a Junior

he doesn't want to drink. he can't drink.
    trust me, if he drank, i'd make him very drunk on new years
    anyway josh congrats (grrr you didn't tell me :\)
    currently i'm baking chocolate brownies full of laxatives for my bitchy, mean, rude, atheist-hating, racist, and lame english teacher. yay thank god i never have to see her ever again...

22. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

yeah, that's because they score you separately for AB and the additional BC material if you do poorly overall, usually you suck it with 2nd semester material, and they give you credit for the first, just like calculus AB, gaining you 3 hours instead of 6. :)

23. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

congrats, ibookin'! wow...15 years old and a junior in college! good to know that the mac community is filled with intelligent people! :D

24. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

one person doesn't make it "filled". ;)

25. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

yeah, i must admit, i think there are many more dip****s around here that like to pull their underwear out of their pants than there are people with insane IQs and pristine grades. really.