Well I'm almost fully switched!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by pulsewidth947, May 30, 2005.

1. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

I just thought I'd bore you all with my switcher story :)

Having been a PC user all my life, I started to come into contact with Macs at College/Uni (I was doing Music Technology so Mac was the only way forward) Initially we were using OS9, which I loathed. Then OSX came out and it made me pay attention. I always loved the look of Macs, but there was no way I could afford one.

Flashback to this time last year, when I was awarded some money from University. I bought an iPod and cautiously installed iTunes on my PC thinking it'd just be a bloated winamp. How wrong was I!!

A few months ago I found a perfect reason to buy a Mac - the Mac Mini! It was cheap, great for surfing and iLife.

And this week I got a email from Apple offering 6 month intrest free credit on anything in the store. So I used that and my Education discount to order a 15" 1.67 Powerbook, with 128mb gfx and superdrive of course. And now I'm in the process of selling my PC!

I always told myself I'd need a PC around just for the programs that arent on Mac. But since using my Mini I've replaced most of my programs with better ones on the Mac. The only program I cant replace is Adobe Audition, which I'm gutted about, but its worth it :)

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Congrats! Make sure you pay it off in the first 6 months.. the APR is usally crippling afterwards.

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Congragulations on your switch. The new PowerBook G4s are pretty awesome- enjoy!

P.S.- I dont think that we can ever get tired of another switcher story. One less microsoft minion. :p

4. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

I am so jealous of your computer!

(drools)

5. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

Welcome..and i am jealous..i also want me a sexy 15' powerbook..Damn sexy machines those are. better start saving :rolleyes:

6. pulsewidth947 thread starter macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Absolutely, I never pay interest. I have a credit card with an APR of 29% :O I dont think i'd EVER not pay that off before they start charging interest!

If its any consolation, i've never actually bought a Microsoft product ever (not even windows!). As a direct opposite i bought my Mini with Panther, and I bought Tiger because of my faith in Apple, and the fact that it was £58 with edu discount... £58 for an OS! You really cant complain at that can you?

7. pulsewidth947 thread starter macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

I know wha tthe jelousy feels like! Watching my sisters boyfriend edit movies and comping on a 15" PB for 2 years! Now I will soon have my own!

Cant wait to load up Reason and Cubase on it and write an album with it :D

First I'd better order 2 GB of ram from crucial. I really cant belive I can get 2 GB crucial for the price of 1 GB apple. I mean its not like its difficult to install like on the Mac Mini (even that isnt that hard!)

:Edit: One more thing - as sad as it is, I'm really looking forward to seeing how easy it is to copy all my settings and stuff over from my Mac Mini to my PB! Looks like i'll be borrowing a firewire cable from work :)

8. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

That's true. It's one of the reasons i really like the mac platform; on windows, 99% of the apps you download are rubbish in one way or another. with the mac, most developers bother to make their software function well and look good. plus they dont charge silly prices.

a few examples: acquisition, delicious library, transmit, newsfirerss, etc.

congratulations on the full switch :)

9. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

You will find that there are many people on this board that will complain about the price of Apple's OS and the fact that we are forced to buy it every year.

:rolleyes:

10. the future macrumors 6502a

You'll be amazed how easy and slick it actually is... :)

11. pulsewidth947 thread starter macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

transmit is one of the examples i have. the other thing is, all this nice software is reasonably priced too! All usually $30 or below which is nothing when converted to £ :) No reason to ask mates for a copied version at that price, even I can afford it.

Yeah, but some people will complain about anything. They arent really forced to buy it every year - we still use 10.2.8 at work and its fine! All i really miss on it is expose, and i can live without that (at least for the 8 hours till i get home :D)

I hope so, but forgive me for being sceptical (wow cntrl+apple+d is awesome - no heading to dictionary.com anymore), but being a pc user i'm used to things sounding simple then not working :)

Going to have to keep my pictures of blue screens, and pop them up randomly, just for sentimental reasons ;)