Well... it happened

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mrblister, Jul 7, 2006.

1. mrblister macrumors newbie

mrblister

I bought a Macbook last week so that I could have one machine for all three OS' out there. I've never in my life used a mac nor OS X prior to this point. I fire up the machine and after a couple of days of tinkering, get OSX, XP and Gentoo all running. Thing is, the more I use the computer, the more I find myself being drawn to OSX. And I hate it. I repartitioned my drive from equal partitions to letting gentoo and Xp only have 10G a piece.

What have I done?

2. iGary Guest

iGary

You find yoursefl being drawn to it and you hate it?

Inner conflict? :p :D

Why sweat it?

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

you're being drawn into the wonder that is OS X. don't fight it. :p

4. mrblister thread starter macrumors newbie

mrblister

Yes I hate it, because all this time I've been one of those folks that quietly smirks and thinks to himself "how quaint" when someone mentions OSX.

*sigh*

5. discoforce macrumors 6502a

discoforce

Can I get you some kool-aid? :D

*clinks glasses and chugs*

6. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

7. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Weird thread...

if you like something, use it...

Unless you like things to be difficult and annoying....

8. brbubba macrumors 6502

brbubba

Fear not, the same thing happened to me. I got one thinking I would be using XP all the time, but instead have been mainly using OS X.

9. brianus macrumors 6502

Wait, so there are people out there who would buy a Mac mainly to run Windows? Or who would buy one knowing they didn't think much of the OS it came with? Given the premium you pay just because it's a Mac, plus the cost of getting Windows separately rather than bundled, I really don't see the point unless you know that you'll be using both OS's extensively, or just OS X exclusively.

10. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Enjoy OS X...it great...stop fighting yourself and let go buddy.

Get rid of linux.

Bless

11. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Nope, don't fight it mrblister. Just delete the XPee partition and allow yourself to become immersed in the wonder and perfection know as Mac OS. :D

12. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

13. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

:eek: i'm SHOCKED!

compare X and xp side-by-side, and you start using X more ?!?! :confused:

stunned, and shocked. had no idea. never saw that one coming...

and linux. unbelievable.

picked X. mutter, shuffles off... mutter (shocked!)...

14. mrblister thread starter macrumors newbie

mrblister

You wouldnt see the point because you dont know my background. I thought Mac folks were supposed to "Think Different" or something like that. ;)

I'm the IT manager for a mid size pharma company and we've just started doing some of our own layout. Part of that entails a few new Mac folks here in the office. I thought it'd be extremely beneficial if my machine could interact on a flat plane with each of the different machines we have in the office. Thus my Triboot machine. Thing is, when I took the little beast home I found myself spending the majority of my time in OS X and less and less in Gentoo.

:)

15. mrblister thread starter macrumors newbie

mrblister

Oohh I dont know about that. Think I'll keep it on there "just in case"

16. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    WELCOME TO THE PARTY! Now you see why all of us mac-geeks love our OS. It's pretty ****ing nice, isn't it? Sometimes, just thinking about the finder winking at me gets me hot under the collar...

17. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I would have hoped he would have chosen XP, MS after all does need all the users they can get.

Or they will soon end up with a shrinking market share. :(

18. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

It's exactly the same with me. I've always used PCs, but I liked the way OS X worked with Audio Interfaces....

I got a MacBook Pro, planning to Boot Camp it an install XP on the other partition. I didn't think I'd spend that much time in OS X...

When I first got it, I thought I'd try it without XP for a few weeks. It's amazing, I've never looked back at Windows and missed anything! (other than Worms Armageddon :( )...

OS X rules...

19. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

If you think that running OS X will make you an computer-illiterate n00b, just run terminal full screen all the time, and you'll be like a hardcore unix guy. Or even delete OS X and get Darwin!:eek:

20. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

If you miss spending hours on configuring software (and I guess you do - Gentoo people are the only ones who believe that their handwritten fstab is more efficient than an automatically generated one) you can always go for Gentoo on Mac OS X. Meanwhile, feel assured that Mac OS would not run faster if you'd compiled it yourself ;-)

21. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

22. brbubba macrumors 6502

brbubba

I was ok with the premium since my blackbook is hotness. But to get a similar small form factor in a PC with similar specs the price wouldn't have been all that far off.

I knew I was going to run both, I just thought that most of my time would be spent on XP when none of my time is on XP now. In fact I no longer have it installed.

23. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

True, you never know when you will need to play solitaire or download some viruses. :rolleyes: ;) :D

24. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

hehe. good one. as sweaty steve ballmer likes to tell us, you also may want to play reversi!
    kudos to all who got the joke without having to google it