Well, My Luck With Apple.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by cmaracz88, Dec 6, 2004.

1. cmaracz88 macrumors member

Well my iBook is near hopeless. It stopped charging and I thought this was just a screwed up plug. Turns out it's the logic board. And it has symptoms of water damage (corroded chip and a fried circuit) which annoys me to no end since I only used a moist cloth to clean it, and I'm the only person who uses that computer now. But because it looks like water damage it will not be repaired under extension. Now I have no iBook (which I payed a lot of money for, almsot all I had) and I'm left with a loan to be payed off that probably won't be half covered by selling the parts if it comes down to that. Plus certainly no money to buy another computer, and besides this time my nobody in my family would co-sign for another Apple (they were suspicious about this first one.)

All I can do now is go to another service centre and hope their view is that it's not water damage. If not all that's left is bugging Apple about it endlessly. Anyone have any ideas or their own fubar blues stories? Sorry if this seems like I'm trying to get pitty from you guys but I am angry, even though it was a luxury I didn't earn to begin with.

2. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

i hear fscked up stories nearly daily at work ...

oh well. trying something to cheer you up at least, my favorite of the mac accidents.. my boyfriend has a 17" powerbook. so - 2 months ago or so he spilled an 18 oz mug of green tea on it. .. switched it off .. took it apart .. dried it etc. and 2 hours later, back online. screen had some whiter areas, but even those disappeared in a few days of use.

so one mac lasts the 18 oz of green tea, and your unlucky one gets moisture form air .. :(

(oh yes, he works for apple. and the people workin with him were pretty much laughing .. even with the whiter areas on hte screen, all htat mattered was that the chat windows to my chat were on areas that worked correctly...)

3. cmaracz88 thread starter macrumors member

Haha, thanks. Here's just a hypothetical situation becasue I'm not sure this is the case at all.

There is a machine. This machine has a central motherboard, as well there is a hot part which protects the motherboard from reasonable amounts of moisture. The guard has a one year warranty, while the motherboard itself has a three year warranty as long as it's not accidental. If the part with the three year warranty gets damaged after two years (when the guard has run out of warranty) accidentally due partly to involvment of a malfunctioning guard (lets say now even previously reasonable amounts of water cause damage) would the manufactueror have a legal, and if not, ethical obligation to repair the three year warranty part.

4. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Water damage. Ouch.

I almost lost a Pentium 2 233MHz Monday last due to rust in the bearings. Walked into the school computer lab, fired up my Red Hat box, after about 45 seconds I noticed it was quieter than normal, check it, and the CPU fan wasn't spinning. Imeaditly pulled the power. Had to trash the fan; wayyy to much rust in it, now I need another 60mm fan. :(

Sorry mate.

5. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Wasn't there a logic board replacement program going on with the iBooks? Maybe check into that if you haven't already. I don't know what to say about the water corrosion :(

A couple years ago my mom tripped on her ethernet cord and ripped out the side panel of port on her iBook...$400 later it was fixed, lol.

6. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Those were for the G3 iBooks, I believe mine falls in that area, knock on wood.

7. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

That is utterly disgraceful. I hope you get this dealt with. As much aggravation as it is - write a letter. Like, it can get you places. Good luck. Gee whiz.

8. cmaracz88 thread starter macrumors member

Mine is a G3. They said they would try the extension program but they are certain that Apple would not approve it because the system ahs what they consider water damage symptoms. Which pisses me off, and I can only be lead to a few conclusions:

a) The logic board blew because it's a crappy computer. Not no water damage. My friend says that in a properly functioning iBook reasonable amounts of water for cleaning (even a wet cloth) would not contain enough water to make it to the logic board. Although they claim they saw little droplets. In the bottom and on the guard.
    b) The guard was not functing properly.
    c) Small amounts of water for cleaning are enough to fry an iBook.
    d) Someone, while nobody was home, broke into my home, submerged my computer in water, and dried it off so that it was otherwise impossible to detect, including applying a layer of dust to the screen.

I am going to argue this, becasue it's just ridiculous.

9. destroyboredom macrumors 6502

If I were you I would call and very politely talk to Apple customer care. Explain the situation and maybe they can work something out. Have you been through any logicboards yet?

10. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Hmmm...

Here's a tip...don't put water around your computer. Why don't you just send it in to apple? It doesn't work, so why are you still here complaining about it?

11. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

They ought to replace the logic board regardless of the water damage. I'm sure if you try hard enough they'll eventually do it, just stay calm, lol, it might take effort. It seems like you don't know where this "water damage" came from. I suppose it could have happened with another user, but using a damp cloth like you said shouldn't have caused that problem. So I'd just send it in and see what they can do, and hope it doesn't cost much if anything :(

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Re: Probably not water.

If you carry your computer around during winter a lot, it could pick up the moisture when going from freezing cold to a warm moist environment.

And because it heats up from the inside out, it could very well collect on the inside.

There's a whole host of tricks camera users have to prevent moisture on the optics during winter, some of them should work on a computer.

13. cmaracz88 thread starter macrumors member

I have been through a logic board recently, a few months ago, which just stopped working all of a sudden (I had the weird lines for a while.) Burt this is a physical burst circuit in one specific spot. I spoke to the head of the technology department at my school, who mentioend that sometimes changes in temperatures can cause the symptoms of water damage with a fairly high humidity in the room. Apple doesn't mention not to expose to sudden temperature changes in their manual, they coulda argue it's common sense, but that would hold up in a court at the equator, not in Canada, so eventually they'd probably give in if they admit it is likely that.

appleretailguy: If you had read pretty much anything more than none of my posst you'd know that's what I meant, I don't keep it near water. And why am I posting? Because I'm asking for advice, and I'm getting it. This board is for general discussion.

14. cmaracz88 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry for bumping, but does anyone else have any relative or semi-relative information? Pretty much anything could help me, I can't afford getting another computer, in fact I can barely pay back the loan on this iBook, which I am in danger of not having anymore.

15. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

have you tried talking to multiple people at Apple? They might eventually do something for you :( Sorry that you might be out of a computer for a bit.

16. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I say u should call Apple and explain to them whats wrong with it. Apple is a pretty good company. i don't think they'd have a problem trying to help alleviate this problem. Sorry about the loan. If they won't take it what I'd do is take it apart and try to dry it off, see if there realy is water in it. Clean up all the water and say you're having a logic board problem that you read about or that. The second time you call them

17. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

I've seen a logic board fried by a single drop of orange juice that slipped through the keyboard. This situation comes down to the old addage of "**** happens". Yes, it's unfortunate, I'll admit, but there is by no means a legal or ethical obligation to replace the logic board, as there is no failure of the guard. The guard is designed to protect the logic board from liquid, but it is not perfect, nor does Apple claim it to be. It will not prevent every possible droplet of water from getting into the logic board. I don't use moist cloths on my laptops for just such a reason. Only the screen will get a wet wipe, and none of the liquid will touch the machine proper. I'll admit to spilling the occasional drop of coffee on to my keyboard, but that is due to a risk that I have chosen to take. If the motherboard fries, it sucks, but it is my own fault.

18. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Heck I get nervous when my brother uses my laptop, cause he's always drinking milk, then again mine is a PBG3, Wallstreet. I've heard they held up pretty well. Can anyone point me out to the Guards I have not a clue what ur talking about, but I'd like to see it, and propose an idea that may help alleiviate future problems with this.

19. iGav macrumors G3

don't you have house and contents insurance??

20. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Sorry to hear about your problems cmaracz88. Out of curiosity what store are you dealing with? I just want to know since you're in my area and service at the Apple dealers I go to has been fairly good. I've got a sneaking suspicion that you are dealing with the CSC guys... are you?

21. cmaracz88 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry for the late response, but no I was dealing with Digital Prototypes about this one in particular. And it's not that they are trying to cheat me. I mean it's not that the logic board experianced the standard breakdown and they say they won't repair it becasue it's an accident. They just said that there's no use sending it to the apple depot because Apple would say the problem was water damage, and there are symptoms which are cohexistant with water damage :(

22. diamond geezer macrumors regular

Have you seen this damage or did the techs just tell you , without showing you?

Can you post a photo of the damage?

23. cmaracz88 thread starter macrumors member

I'll get a photo soon. They did show me the pictures. They gave me a copy of the logic board, which has has a burst curcuit and the area around it all black, and a row of damaged metal things (I'm not a very technical person.)

They offered to take another picture of the back, which I was told had another warped something consistant with water damage, but I was in a rush, and as foolish as that was or wasn't I declined.

24. sgarringer macrumors regular

almost lost it? you sure it wasnt that old P2s way of saying its time was up and it wanted to move on to a better place?

jeese, we scrap anything slower than a P3 at work, and thats being liberal anymore.