Discussion in 'Macworld San Francisco 2008' started by anotherarunan, Jan 15, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502

Sep 18, 2007
    London, United Kingdom (UK)
    Pretty much standard procedure from apple. Although i was dissapointed with one thing...NO "ONE MORE THING".....:eek:

apart from that, expect the usual complaints...and take a look at the price of a macbookair with a SSD! :eek:

im happy though, my SR macbook is still top of the range! and justifys me buying it in december :D
  2. macrumors G3

Dec 29, 2007
    Southern California
    I liked it. I was happy with the update to the AppleTV - I think I'll finally get off the fence and buy one. The Capsule seems interesting. The MBA is outside of what I want to spend, but it's pretty awesome nonetheless.

It would have been nice to see updated specs on the Mini and other notebooks, but hey, you can't have everything! :)
  3. macrumors 65816

Oct 16, 2007
    Cheshire, United Kingdom
    I only have one thing to say

iPod touch + new apps = $20.

Heh. No.

4. macrumors member

Nov 22, 2006
    Yes I agree. The MBAir is attractive but short on some features for its hefty price. A few hundred dollars less, then it would be a good deal, IMO. But eventually the specs will get better and better for either the same price point or reduced price points over the course of time... Also, it looks like no Apple Remote and Front Row for the MBAir??
  5. macrumors newbie

Oct 27, 2007
    Apple Stock

Apparently the market was not excited about it.
    Down $30+ a share since early Jan.
    Oh well, 6 years until I retire, I'll hope to see it bounce back (heh heh)
  6. macrumors 68000

Jul 25, 2004
    Gloucester, UK
    iPhone and Touch: Stay jailbroken.

MBA: Sexy but no use to me.

The rest: Meh...
  7. thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 18, 2007
    London, United Kingdom (UK)
    the apple remote is an optional extra! like the superdrive, theres an optional extra ethernet USB adapter. (for the MBA single USB port!)

just wait for the apple USB hub announcement to come in the summer! :D
  8. macrumors member

Aug 21, 2007
    Overall thoughts......meh......
    1. No new iphone....just software updates
    2. No new AppleTV...just software updates
    3. A wireless backup hard drive......
    4. A super thin laptop...but the SSD version is over $3000

I think Mac fans were thinking new iphone, new AppleTV, some tablet

Basically we got a super expensive (albeit nice) thin laptop....

Oh well...........
  9. macrumors member

Nov 22, 2006
    Dang, they should have included that in the box!
  10. macrumors 68040

Jun 27, 2006
    Rhode Island
    I was somewhat disappointed. The only thing I really got excited about was the MacBook Air and the iPhone update. I said the same thing about last years MacWorld, it left me wanting more...i.e. "One more thing..."
  11. macrumors newbie

Jan 15, 2008

What about an update to the Mac Book Pro that was supposed to happen? There was a lot of talk about upgrading the chipset and nothing ... lame. And we have to pay MORE for the iPhone update?! Like we did not pay enough for the phone itself. Real sad Steve ... real sad. :mad:
  12. macrumors member

Dec 5, 2007
    Pretty terrible honestly, it seemed as though there should have been at least one more major item. Let's hope that in 6 months we get more another major goodie.
  13. macrumors newbie

Jun 5, 2006
    I too am slighty disappointed, but not stunned. I really wanted a MBP with penryn released today, but it will come soon enough. The iPhone upgrade is free, and at least that will tide me over for awhile. I need to replace my 15" Powerbook G4, and a MacBook Air will certainly not cut it, as it is in a different class of laptop. Steve Jobs, please, please don't wait too long to release a new iteration of a MacBook Pro, sans Randy Newman if you could.
  14. macrumors regular

Sep 10, 2007
    Green Bay, WI
    Way, way, way too much money for what you get. I was hoping they would release a simple, thinner laptop that was going to be cheap and finally compete with Dell/Gateway/HP
  15. macrumors newbie

Jan 15, 2008
    Overall not too shabby.

I think the iTunes movie rentals seems like a decent idea and the software update and price drop of Apple TV will definitely help boost sales. As for the iPod touch update....well you can either have hundreds of useful applications for free or pay $20 bucks more for 4 that should have been included in the first place. Ill stick with the jail break. I am a slightly confused about the Macbook Air for a couple of reasons. If it is going to be marketed as a ultra portable laptop to help sales in the business sector where on earth is the 6+ battery life. Also I thought that apple wanted to try and get some of the pie nternationally and consumers looking for a truly upc arent going to buy a 13 inch laptop no matter how thin it is. Those are the people who are going to be willing to pay the big bucks for a laptop not the student or average consumer. I bought a macbook in dec knowing the possibility of a major overhaul to the entire macbook line. I am very happy knowing that if i had the option to buy the notebook again today I would be buyingn the exact same laptop AT THE SAME PRICE..

Overall Macbook Air
    - sweet design
    - A couple nice new features
    - Decent power (2 gb standard of memory)
    - Expensive especially if you add the SSD
    - Regular macbook is $500 cheaper, around the same battery life, etc

I think that while this is a good addition to the macbook line it may (and hopefully) is setting up for some sort of 10-11 inch tablet incorporating more multi touch features.
  16. macrumors regular

Nov 4, 2007
    The macbook air looks really cool i think. but it's so useless!
    Hm... i'll quitly wait for the MBP update... got too excited.
    and it was quite the bummer when he didn't say OMT... :-(
  17. macrumors member

Nov 30, 2007
    Maybe I missed something, but I thought it was a free update for the iPhone but a $20 update for the iPod Touch?
  18. macrumors newbie

Jan 15, 2008
    Disappointed Again

Okay, MWSF 2007 was all about the iPhone, and anyone interested in Macs had to go somewhere else to find entertainment ... but it feels like this is the second year in a row when that's happened...

It seems as if Apple has (temporarily) abandoned any attempt to make Time Machine work with ethernet drives. What do we conclude about that? Apple screwed up? What's the problem already?

Penryn CPUs in MacBook Pros? Where? When? Is Apple in some sort of slow bicycle race, and thinks it should be the last major laptop manufacturer to announce this? I mean really, I's just like to know, because I'll buy as soon as they're ready. Unless I die of boredom waiting.

iPod touch gets mail. This is a big deal. Such a big deal, in fact, that I now don't need one of those razor blade shaped toys Steve announced today. And I doubt I'm the only one. The MBA looks horribly like the world's heaviest PDA, not the world's lightest laptop. I could be wrong, of course.
  19. macrumors member

Nov 30, 2007
    Hmm, I'm interested in Macs, and I thought the new MacBook Air looked pretty cool. Maybe I was just seeing things weird out of my glass eye.
  20. macrumors 6502a

Aug 16, 2007
    Central FL Area
    I'm sitting here laughing at the tons of people who were saying how they were going to buy the new MBP when it came out on MWSF on Jan. 15th. - kept telling all these people "how are you going to buy a new MBP when you don't even know if there is going to be a new MBP????"

-and here I sit and say, "I told you so.........." :D
  21. macrumors newbie

Jan 2, 2008
    MBAir is too expensive. I was looking for something from Apple to be around the price point I can get a ThinkPad X61 from Lenovo.

It's nice that it fits in an envelope, but that just makes me think it could be too easily damaged traveling in a bag everyday (e.g. too thin).

I like the weight though. It's too bad that Apple couldn't get the MacBooks to be in the weight range.

I can understand why Apple has it in that price range though. You are paying for the smaller Core 2 Duo and the size. They are eyeing the laptops like the Sony's and the Panasonic's. Those are priced in this range too.
  22. macrumors G5

Dec 22, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Hmm- I was excited about the MacBook Air, then I saw the price. Far too much money for way too little. Looks like I'll still be hanging onto my iBook G4.
  23. macrumors regular

Jan 10, 2005
    the capitol
    Booo!! Can you say....iFolio?

Who is Apple kidding, the ultra-portable market is for *cheap* ultra-portables or for Tablets. If I didn't buy a 7" touch-screen UMPC for $1000, why on earth would I buy a non-touchscreen, ethernetless, 13" envelope-sized "sub-notebook". The price is Pro-line, the lack of screen options, lack of graphics, lack of FW800, lack of ethernet, speaks otherwise. Even a touchscreen would have saved this thing, right now its just an incredibly expensive, thinner, backlit Macbook. I mean, I get it is thin, but are they serious? My MBP is thin enough....
  24. macrumors 65816

Jan 10, 2006
    Nothing that made me pull out my credit card from my wallet...
  25. macrumors regular

Jan 9, 2008
    Suffolk, UK
    Overall, disappointing.

From the MacRumors live update (thanks guys), there was waaaaaay too much dull stuff about movies /snore

Would have liked to hear about a Leopard update; increase in capacity of iPhone and Touch; perhaps news of 3G support; hear more about the SDK; see some more cool iPhone app demos.

I like the Time Capsule though, as I'm looking for a back-up drive since Time Machine came along. I'll be picking one of those up.