Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flyinace2000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 28, 2004
My 24" iMac is dead.

Called Apple care ebcause i was having 2 issues. Stuck pixels and the computer buzzed when the brightness was not at 100%. But for some reason during the call the machine decided to stop working all together. It just blinks at me. So its going back and they are sending me a new one. Sucks because i just got everything set up. iTunes was downloading podcasts and windows was installed with games ready to go. So sad. :-(

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Better now than in 15 days and outside the 14 day return period but yeah, it sucks. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
The Blinking LED of Death seems to be quite common among iMacs, I found a Youtube video with quite a few affected.

Flyinace2000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 28, 2004
generik said:
The Blinking LED of Death seems to be quite common among iMacs, I found a Youtube video with quite a few affected.

At first i thought it was just poorly seated ram, but after to re-seating it still happened. O well. Time to go drop off this beast at FedEx and go back to hitting th refresh button at fedex.com every 5 minutes until the new one gets here.

YAY FOR BEING AN EARLY ADOPTER!!!

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Pressure said:
Better now than in 15 days and outside the 14 day return period but yeah, it sucks. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

If the machine is BAD you have the entire first year to get it repaired/replaced. The 14 day return period is simply the window in which you can return it for a refund for any reason (minus a restocking fee, and as long as it's not a CTO).

n-abounds

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2006
Hey, I just got my 17" iMac, and one of the pixels is dead. I wouldn't usually mind, but it's in a place where it shows if I'm playing any movie. It's bright green, so it can get quite infuriating.

Anyways, some Q's...

1. Will the fact that I have one dead pixel make it more likely that I will have others?
2. Will Apple repair this for free?
2. When should I get it repaired? I really want to be able to keep it for a while, since I'm at school right now and it would be a major inconvenience to ship/bring it anywhere. I have Applecare on it.

Flyinace2000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 28, 2004
n-abounds said:
Hey, I just got my 17" iMac, and one of the pixels is dead. I wouldn't usually mind, but it's in a place where it shows if I'm playing any movie. It's bright green, so it can get quite infuriating.

Anyways, some Q's...

1. Will the fact that I have one dead pixel make it more likely that I will have others?
2. When should I get it repaired? I really want to be able to keep it for a while, since I'm at school right now and it would be a major inconvenience to ship/bring it anywhere. I have Applecare on it.

Yesterday before the whole machine died the tech said i would have to bring it to a store to get it fixed. Stuck pixels are a sticky subject (oh snap!) since a certain amount of them are "Acceptable". But its a case by case basis. My Tv has one stuck on blue but i only see it if i get 5 inches from the screen. My iMac had 4! and they were annoying.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
n-abounds said:

Anyways, some Q's...

Well, usually one or two or even more isn't considered a bad panel, but if it's right in the middle or something like that you should, as suggested, bring it into an Apple store and they might replace it for you.

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2006
London
sad to hear about ya problems, im currently awaiting my 24 incher (due to upgrades) and i must admit its my first mac purchase (out of 5) that im worried about as its my just to intel and ive heard soooo much bad news :s fingers crossed

fall3n

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2006
bummer man, just a bad apple off the tree :( (yes, pun in tended) I honestly feared the same with mine, but fortunately didn't have to suffer. I feel for you man, what a tease.

thechris69

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2005
generik said:

Can you post a link of this please???

Question: I heard stories of people who have had stuck pixels on the PSP screens, and they did some sort of screensaver that blinked a lot of colours and the pixels "came back to life" do they have these screensavers and do they work???

Another Question: This might be a stupid question, but is it possible to make a flat panel display without pixels?

Flyinace2000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 28, 2004
thechris69 said:

Question: I heard stories of people who have had stuck pixels on the PSP screens, and they did some sort of screensaver that blinked a lot of colours and the pixels "came back to life" do they have these screensavers and do they work???

Another Question: This might be a stupid question, but is it possible to make a flat panel display without pixels?

There is a video that flashes green blue red over and over again. I ran that for 12 hours and it didn't help.

Pixels: Everything you see on a computer is made of pixels. LCD's get their resolution for pixels. go read up over at wikipedia.

fitinferno

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2005
London, UK
thechris69 said:

Lol, I totally wanted to see the video as well. All I found was this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaVPWOzC6WM

I second the idea of a link the the vid referenced.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
thechris69 said:
Not with an LCD or LED. The flattish CRTs could certainly do that, but historically vector displays tended to be limited to fairly simple figures.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
Flyinace2000 said:
There is a video that flashes green blue red over and over again. I ran that for 12 hours and it didn't help.

Pixels: Everything you see on a computer is made of pixels. LCD's get their resolution for pixels. go read up over at wikipedia.

I'm pretty sure LCoS screens don't have 'pixels' per se. There's a defined resolution, but if you get really close to the screen you just see little blobs of color. No screen door effect.

And OP, I'm sorry for your loss. Good luck on the new machine.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
gloss said:
I'm pretty sure LCoS screens don't have 'pixels' per se. There's a defined resolution, but if you get really close to the screen you just see little blobs of color. No screen door effect.
Yeah, there is a grid of pixels, it's just that the borders are hidden by a combination of the close spacing and the reflection.

orangezorki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
Every dot of colour on a computer screen is a pixel. Any digital image is composed of pixels. Pixels are here to stay!

David

Flyinace2000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 28, 2004
Old one whipped back last friday and the new one just left China this morning. Its bening shipped via 2 day fedex. Please, please, please get here on friday.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
thechris69 said:

OLED seems like a world-beater, but I felt the same way about X3 technology for digital cameras, and thus far not much has happened.

Neat ideas though...

Flyinace2000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 28, 2004
If it shipped today at 2:40pm from Shanghai (or sometime before 7am our Eastern time). It is being shipped via FedEx Express 2 day, will i get it on friday or monday?

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
n-abounds said:

Anyways, some Q's...

if the pixel is perpetually one color, then it's not dead, it's stuck. in the case that apple refuses to fix it for you, try massaging it out - i've revived many a stuck pixel!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.