Well that only lasted 24 hours...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Flyinace2000, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

My 24" iMac is dead.

Called Apple care ebcause i was having 2 issues. Stuck pixels and the computer buzzed when the brightness was not at 100%. But for some reason during the call the machine decided to stop working all together. It just blinks at me. So its going back and they are sending me a new one. Sucks because i just got everything set up. iTunes was downloading podcasts and windows was installed with games ready to go. So sad. :-(

2. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Better now than in 15 days and outside the 14 day return period but yeah, it sucks. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

3. generik macrumors 601

generik

The Blinking LED of Death seems to be quite common among iMacs, I found a Youtube video with quite a few affected.

4. Flyinace2000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

At first i thought it was just poorly seated ram, but after to re-seating it still happened. O well. Time to go drop off this beast at FedEx and go back to hitting th refresh button at fedex.com every 5 minutes until the new one gets here.

YAY FOR BEING AN EARLY ADOPTER!!!

5. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

If the machine is BAD you have the entire first year to get it repaired/replaced. The 14 day return period is simply the window in which you can return it for a refund for any reason (minus a restocking fee, and as long as it's not a CTO).

6. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

Hey, I just got my 17" iMac, and one of the pixels is dead. I wouldn't usually mind, but it's in a place where it shows if I'm playing any movie. It's bright green, so it can get quite infuriating.

Anyways, some Q's...

1. Will the fact that I have one dead pixel make it more likely that I will have others?
    2. Will Apple repair this for free?
    2. When should I get it repaired? I really want to be able to keep it for a while, since I'm at school right now and it would be a major inconvenience to ship/bring it anywhere. I have Applecare on it.

7. Flyinace2000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

Yesterday before the whole machine died the tech said i would have to bring it to a store to get it fixed. Stuck pixels are a sticky subject (oh snap!) since a certain amount of them are "Acceptable". But its a case by case basis. My Tv has one stuck on blue but i only see it if i get 5 inches from the screen. My iMac had 4! and they were annoying.

8. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Well, usually one or two or even more isn't considered a bad panel, but if it's right in the middle or something like that you should, as suggested, bring it into an Apple store and they might replace it for you.

9. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

sad to hear about ya problems, im currently awaiting my 24 incher (due to upgrades) and i must admit its my first mac purchase (out of 5) that im worried about as its my just to intel and ive heard soooo much bad news :s fingers crossed

10. fall3n macrumors 6502

bummer man, just a bad apple off the tree :( (yes, pun in tended) I honestly feared the same with mine, but fortunately didn't have to suffer. I feel for you man, what a tease.

11. thechris69 macrumors 6502

thechris69

Can you post a link of this please???

Question: I heard stories of people who have had stuck pixels on the PSP screens, and they did some sort of screensaver that blinked a lot of colours and the pixels "came back to life" do they have these screensavers and do they work???

Another Question: This might be a stupid question, but is it possible to make a flat panel display without pixels?

12. Flyinace2000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

There is a video that flashes green blue red over and over again. I ran that for 12 hours and it didn't help.

Pixels: Everything you see on a computer is made of pixels. LCD's get their resolution for pixels. go read up over at wikipedia.

13. fitinferno macrumors 6502

Lol, I totally wanted to see the video as well. All I found was this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaVPWOzC6WM

I second the idea of a link the the vid referenced.

14. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Not with an LCD or LED. The flattish CRTs could certainly do that, but historically vector displays tended to be limited to fairly simple figures.

15. Flyinace2000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

16. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

17. Flyinace2000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

Either way its ona fedex truck on its way back to RMA heaven, destine for the refurb pages of apple.com

I am not sure whats worse, waiting for the first one coming from China or waiting for the replacement. :-(

18. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I'm pretty sure LCoS screens don't have 'pixels' per se. There's a defined resolution, but if you get really close to the screen you just see little blobs of color. No screen door effect.

And OP, I'm sorry for your loss. Good luck on the new machine.

19. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Yeah, there is a grid of pixels, it's just that the borders are hidden by a combination of the close spacing and the reflection.

20. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

Every dot of colour on a computer screen is a pixel. Any digital image is composed of pixels. Pixels are here to stay!

David

21. Flyinace2000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

Old one whipped back last friday and the new one just left China this morning. Its bening shipped via 2 day fedex. Please, please, please get here on friday.

22. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

OLED seems like a world-beater, but I felt the same way about X3 technology for digital cameras, and thus far not much has happened.

Neat ideas though...

23. iGary Guest

iGary

24. Flyinace2000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

If it shipped today at 2:40pm from Shanghai (or sometime before 7am our Eastern time). It is being shipped via FedEx Express 2 day, will i get it on friday or monday?

25. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

if the pixel is perpetually one color, then it's not dead, it's stuck. in the case that apple refuses to fix it for you, try massaging it out - i've revived many a stuck pixel!