Well the christian right won one thing...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Nov 9, 2006.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

not like i would go there anyway. but i don't like the sound of this.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

And they will likely also have the Salvation Army bell ringers this year also ...

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Wal-Mart tried to organize their employees to vote against Dems.

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Yeah, well walmart lost big time in the states where the minimum wage was increased. Many of those states tied the MW to inflation as well. If Pelosi carries through with her first 100 hours pledge, then there's a good chance that walmart's profits will dive.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I see no problem with people saying Merry Christmas.

7. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Me either. Because thats what it is, its Christmas FFS. Don't like it? Well it can be just a normal Monday for you.

It's political correctness gone mad, utterly ****ing mad.

Anyway, Merry Christmas yg17. :)

8. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

what i like even more than this, about wal-mart... is that they are showing commercials with war veterans (most of them disabled in some way) as employees... saying "come shop at our store, we hire veterans. if you support our troops, you'll shop here."

sad

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Only if she can get in the tax hike, which may not happen.

But, the fight against outsourcing to China is bound to happen. Of course those new factory jobs will be a lot like a Wal-Mart job. :(

Edit: All the more reason to say Merry Christmas and Happy New McJob.

10. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

I don't have a problem with someone saying Merry Christmas to me, as I celebrate Christmas. I do however see how non-christian people could get upset at this time of year with a couple other large religious holidays in the same season.

When someone wishes me a Happy Holiday it feels as if they are saying Merry Christmas and a happy New Year.

So personally, Happy Holidays is a win-win in my books. It should keep everyone happy.

11. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

not the oppressed, christian minority, apparently.

12. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

People can say Happy "insert holiday" to me and i could care less. Someone can say "Happy Kwanza" and I will just respond with "Happy Kwanza" even if i don't practice it. Doesn't bother me at all.

Now I may just have fun if i go to walmart and if they say Merry Christmas, I will just say "Happy "insert other holiday""

13. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I challenge anyone who takes issue with "Merry Christmas" on non-religious grounds (i.e. you're Jewish and celebrate Hanukkah et al) to give any and all of their presents back this year.

14. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Merry Christmas is just fine by me. We've had some attempts to quash it in the UK too but they've been largely unsuccessful (Winterval).

So long as everyone is free to wish people a happy/merry (whatever) and aren't forced to recognise any particular religious event then I can't see the problem. I'm not religious, but at Christmas, which I celebrate because, well, yeah, why make excuses?

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yes, Dr. Phil really made the anti-Christmas weenie seem like a psychotic scrooge. :D

16. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

So you mean the presents they receive during Hanukkah?

Since if they celebrate Hanukkah they wouldn't celebrate christmas meaning they wouldn't receive christmas presents but would receive Hanukkah presents.

:confused:

17. Queso macrumors G4

They say Merry Christmas here in London, so why not in Wal-Mart? :confused:

18. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Sorry, thought I was being clear. I was referring to the self-righteous PC nazis and the like who throw a fit every time someone says Merry Christmas and claim it's trying to shove religion down their throats. The same people who claim not to celebrate Christmas because religion is bad, secular is best, yet have no trouble with taking the day off from work and getting gifts.

19. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

completely a non-issue.
    they can say whatever they want.

this is not a win of the 'christian right', just of common sense.

(so we are back to a complete debacle for the fundies :cool: )

p.s.: oh, and Walmart supports the minimum wage hike as it increases the spending power of their core customers.

20. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Ever cross your mind that they claim not to celebrate Christmas because they're not Christian and that it's not religion they don't want shoved down their throats but the Christian religion?

Try to empathise. Imagine you're Christian and 90% of the country is Muslim. Now imagine being incessantly being wished a happy Eid ul-Fitr.

Now imagine being called a "self-righteous PC Nazi" just because you are uncomfortable with this.

21. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

thank you psuedobrit. couldn't have said it better myself.

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

So what about all the self-righteous PC nazis and the like who throw a fit whenever someone prefers to offer the more inclusive, non-religious holiday greeting?

Funny how this "PC nazi" stuff only goes the one way.

23. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Christmas is only a retail commercial event to bring out shoppers.

I'll say "happy Jesus' birthday!"

-if I have offended anyone by my faith, just remember Easter when yu'll get revenge.)

24. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I'm a atheist in a country that's 90+% Christian and I celebrate Christmas (i.e. take the week off and have a slap up meal and buy my family presents - I don't do any of the religious stuff though) and don't mind people wishing me "Merry Christmas".

If I lived in a 90% Muslim country I wouldn't mind being wished a happy Eid ul-Fitr.

Or being wished a happy Hanukkah in Israel.

I may think that religion is crock, that anyone who follows one is seriously deluded, and the world would be a much better place without it, but people celebrating religious holidays just doesn't bother me.

Must be because I'm European.

25. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

While I don't care(as I have xMas each year) the fact of it is xMas is SO far away from a religious hoilday. I have a friend who's family is Hindu, and in the past he has gotten a xMas tree. And each yeat he gets gifts for it. As I got older I've been gets gifts much earlier. This year I'll be gettting most stuff on the 19 of Nov.

Of course I can see why people wouldn't want this, in which case I'd say either ignore it, or make a point and yell "I'm not christian! why do you assume I am? Other non christians live in america too!! Open your eyes!!