Well, this is nice! (keyboard shortcuts)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jorey3969, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Jorey3969 macrumors member

Jorey3969

I had no idea of this or ever heard of this, but I accidentaly pushed the command key and the tab key and a screen came up that would let you chose between what programs you had running. If you hold the command key and press tab, it scrolls between programs. Well I thought it was neat and just wanted to see if this was widely known or not.

2. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Yup. I use it all the time. I use keyboard shortcuts more than my mouse.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

hah, glad you found it! I love these shortcuts in OSX, sure windows has alt+tab but the icons are so drab and little. with that horrible grey box behind them. yurgh.

Try setting up hot corners for Exposé. I swear by them. the whole system just becomes so liquid smooth.

4. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

5. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

if you press shift, it goes from right to left, instead of left to right. You can also use your mouse to pick the program.

it's sweet. :)

6. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I actually used this shortcut when I used to use Windows. When I switched to Mac, I tried it out, and was very pleased that it worked. And it of course looks better than the Windows version. :p

7. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

This is one reason I don't need a two button mouse.

Any Mac user worthy of a two button mouse should already know enough key+mouse shortcuts ( ⌘ + {mouseclick} is a lifesaver for selecting nonsequential items in a list) to make anything shy of a five button monstrosity worthwhile. The two button mouse is a sad excuse for people who want to move past the simplicity of one button but can't be bothered to learn the keyboard a little.

8. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

That's my most used short cut. Apple - ~ switches between active screens within one program. Windows ppl are amazed to learn these shortcuts. They're so easily impressed. :p

9. osprey76 macrumors 6502

You can also use CMD+` to move backwards in the list after initially hitting CMD+TAB. Just keep the CMD key pressed down. Also, you can use the mouse to pick an item in the list after you've initiated with CMD+TAB. Keep the CMD key down and just point where you want to go. To make your choice, either click on the icon or just let go of CMD after you've pointed to the right icon.

10. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

And while you are in that, keep Cmd pressed down and press Q when an application is highlighted to quit it. Very handy for cleaning up without clicking into other apps. :)
    Here's another shortcut: ctrl+opt+cmd+8 :p (Repeating it reverses it).

11. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

If you want a bunch of shortcut keys, check this out. Lots of great ones on there... :cool:

12. kwajaln macrumors 6502

kwajaln

That is just Fk'n brilliant . . .thanks!! :D :D

13. jaysmith macrumors regular

more

in firefox, i use crtl+tab to cycle through tabs,

apple+(arrow) left/right to go back and forth through pages

fn+ down/up to surf pages quickly ?(or fn+left/right to go all the way down/up a page

apple+ t creates a new tab

apple+ n creates a new window

alt+delete deletes the last word

crtl+ space opens up spotlight

all i can think of now, unless people want photoshop shortcuts...

14. janey macrumors 603

janey

i have a logitech g7, and as much as i love keyboard shortcuts, nothing beats a mouse when your hand's already on it.
    It's not a 5 button monstrosity though. Two regular buttons, a scroll wheel that does horizontal+vertical scroll and click, one button right next to the thumb for anything, and two small buttons below the scroll wheel to switch DPI (400 -> 800 -> 2000)

Wait, that is like 5 buttons. Oh well :p