Well, this is the monitor my mom got me for Christmas. Did she do alright?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mattcube64, Dec 3, 2006.

1. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

Well, as some of you may remember, I was hoping to get in on the $129.99 Samsung 19" Monitor on Black Friday at BestBuy. Well, after 300 people were in line by midnight, I was SOL.

Now, I currently have a Macbook, and am just looking for something a bit larger when sitting at my desk. I don't need super accurate colors, or amazing response time. However, I do want something decent.

A while back ago, I was interested in the larger 22" (I think...) Gateway monitor. I really like the asthetics of it, and the picture quality seemed pretty good from what I saw in the store. Too bad it costs nearly $400.

My mom offered to get me a monitor for Christmas, but it needed to be under $200. Well, I wanted something both namebrand and widescreen. And atleast 19" was a requirement. I ended up picking this up today:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...eway+19+monitor&type=product&id=1149040474473

Tinyurl: http://tinyurl.com/toktz

Is this gonna suit me well? Thanks for all input!

EDIT: Well, sh**. Looks like this doesn't come with a DVI cable. I have the miniDV-DVI adapter for my MB. Can someone link me to a cheap DVI cable? Can I just use any DVI cable, or is it something in particular I need? Thanks.

EDIT 2, lol: Okay, so I went to my cable site of choice, monoprice.com, where I've purchased component and HDMI cables in the past, and they once again prove they are the cheapest. However, which cable do I need? Can somone tell me what the CHEAPEST cable on this page is that will work? Thanks.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=dvi+cable&x=0&y=0

2. mattcube64 thread starter macrumors 65816

mattcube64

Well, I guess nobody has any input?

From what I've read, it's a pretty solid monitor for the price. There are definitely better screens out there, but they're gonna cost more than $229.

Still though, can someone tell me EXACTLY WHAT DVI CABLE I NEED?

Thanks.

3. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

you need your MiniDVI > DVI convertor, and then a normal DVI cable to connect the monitor.

that's it.

please don't shout, by the way. ;)

4. mattcube64 thread starter macrumors 65816

mattcube64

Oh, I don't mean to shout. I used the CAPS so someone can jump directly to my question and not have to read my "thinking outloud" essay. :p

There are multiple DVI cables on monoprice, though. Do I need a female -> male, M->M, or F->M?

Thanks.

5. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

timswim78

6. pearsonownz macrumors newbie

I think your mom did a great job. I have the same exact monitor. Gateway isn't exactly KNOWN for their monitors, but that doesn't change the fact that they are still good.

7. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i didn't have a very good experience with my gateway computer from a few times ago so they aren't high on my list. i don't know much about their monitors, though. hopefully yours suits your needs and you don't have any problems.