Well, we cracked a ton.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Chundles, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yep, that's right folks. Spring started just 3 weeks ago and today was the first day over the old 100°F mark.

Sydney hit about 38°C in places, tomorrow will be warmer and Saturday even more so.

We've cracked 100°F with 2 months and 1 week of Spring left to be followed by 3 months of summer. It's gonna be a scorcher.

Here's a popular internet email, a English Migrant's Diary of his arrival in Karratha:

August 31st.
    Just got transferred with work into our new home in Karratha, Western Australia.
    Now this is a town that knows how to live! Beautiful sunny days and warm balmy evenings.
    What a place! I watched the sunset from a deckchair on the verandah, it was beautiful.
    Ive finally found my home. I love it here.

September 13th.
    Really heating up. Got to 35 today. Not a problem.
    Live in an air conditioned home, drive an air conditioned car.
    What a pleasure to see the sun everyday like this.
    Im turning into a sun worshiper.

September 30th.
    Had the backyard landscaped with tropical plants today, lots of palms and rocks.
    What a breeze to maintain. no more mowing lawn for me. another scorcher today but I love it here.

October 10th
    The temperature hasnt been below 35 all week. How do people get used to this kind of heat?
    At least today its kind of windy though, but getting used to the heat is taking longer than I expected.

October 15th.
    Fell asleep by the pool. Got 3rd degree burns over 60% of my body and missed 3 days of work.
    What a dumb thing to do. I learned my lesson though. Got to respect the ol' sun in a climate like this.

October 20th.
    I missed Kitty (our cat) sneaking into the car when I left this morning.
    By the time I got to the hot car for lunch, Kitty had died and swollen up to the size of a shopping bag and stank up $3,000 leather upholstery.
    I told the kids that Kitty ran away.
    The car now smells like wiskettes and catsh1t.
    I learned my leson though, no more pets in this heat.

October 25th.
    The wind sucks. It feels like a giant f*ck1n blow dryer!!! And its hot as hell.
    The home air conditioner is on the blink and the AC repairman charged $200 just to drive over and tell me he needed to order parts.

October 30th.
    Been sleeping outside by the pool for 3 nights now, bl00dy $600,000 house and we cant even go inside!
    why did I ever come here?

November 4th.
    Its 38 degrees. Finally got the ol' air conditioner fixed today.
    It cost $1,500 and gets the temperature down to 25, but the bl00dy humidity makes the house feel like its about 30.
    Stupid repairman.
    I hate this f*ck1n place.

November 8th.
    If another wise ar5e cracks "hot enough for you today?" Im going to f*ck1n throttle them. F*ck1n heat!!!!
    By the time I get to work the radiators boiling over, my clothes are f*ck1n soaked and I smell like baked cat!

November 9th.
    Tried to run some messages after work. Wore shorts and sat on the black leather seats in the ol' car.
    I thought my f*ck1n ar5e was on fire.
    I lost 2 layers of flesh and all the hair on the back of my legs and my f*ck1n ar5e.
    Now my car smells like burnt hair, fried ar5e and baked cat.

November 10th.
    The weather report might as well be a f*ck1n recording.
    Hot and sunny.
    Hot and sunny.
    Hot and BL00DY sunny.
    Its been too hot to do anything for 2 months and the weatherman says it might really heat up next week.
    Doesnt it ever rain in this f*ck1n place? water rationing will be next, so my $5,000 worth of palms just might dry up and blow into the f*ck1n pool.
    Even the palms cant live in this heat.

November 14th.
    Welcome to HELL!!! temperature got to 41 today. now the airconditioners gone in my car.
    The repairman came to fix it and my wife had to spend the $2,500 mortgage payment to bail my ar5e out of jail for assaulting the stupid f*ck@r.

F*ck Karratha! what kind of sick demented idiot would want to live here??

December 1st.
    WHAT???? this is the first day of summer???????!

2. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Tell me about it. It nearly got about 36ºC here today it's still around 35ºC (it's 5.30pm). I spent most of the day inside with the air conditioner except for when I foolishly went out to get the mail outside with no shoes on. My feet certainly regretted that. :eek:

Last night it didn't drop below 22ºC and I suspect it will be about the same tonight. Pretty crazy.

3. Chundles thread starter macrumors G4

Chundles

Yep, nasty. Just imagine - 100°F already can you picture summer? Will we crack the 50°C this year? Nearly did last summer with 46°C. Highest I've seen was 48°C in western Sydney in 1998/99.

If 40°C is going to be the norm AGAIN this summer I'm moving back to the mountains, bugger this beach crap. You can't go to beach if you explode into flame when you get out of the shade.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I don't know what the temperature was here today (Dashboard says 22° but it must've been hotter than that), but nature was screwing with our heads - we've had cold winds for the last few days, so today we all dressed up in warm clothes then stepped outside - into hot wind.

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I had to fire up the central heating last night for the 1st time in 6 months.

Autumn is here :(

6. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Well we will scraping frost off our cars in the mornings anytime soon now. Today was the coldest day so far I think. :(

7. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

Classic! I can see the thread you start in a month or so "I burst into fames when I got out of the shade today"

8. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

it was 37 in melbourne today when i got home at around 4 pm. this time 2 weeks ago it was just cracking 20.

I think Hobart had its hottest October day the other day; it was around 30 degrees :rolleyes:

9. iGav macrumors G3

Yey! :D

Autumn/Winter really is taking it's time this year. :(

10. OzMo macrumors member

38+ in rural Victoria today.
    36 at 5pm.
    Pleasantly cool now at 26 (9:30pm).

Hopefully the pyros can get themselves under control (although apparently one of the fires in NSW (or was it SA?) was deliberate yesterday).

11. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

More proof that Australia is an entire continent which was never intended for people to live. ;)

12. Motley macrumors 6502

Got a decent amount of snow yesterday (grounds still too warm for any of it accumulate). Expected to more today and tomorrow.

13. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

still a bit cold here in WA.. stupid weather. Rain and all pfft.

But I know damn well when the temp hits it will hit damn hard

14. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Tonight's not so bad after all actually. It's still about 20ºC according to the weather widget but there's a really nice cool breeze which is making it feel a lot cooler. :)

15. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

16. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

Now I know why I spend 6th months a year trying to scavenge firewood. Today was a balmy 25º as I sat on the balcony of the Mt Tomah Botanical Gardens sipping some local spring water and enjoying the slightly surreal if sublime view of the gardens melting into the mountains.

17. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

I adored Auzz. Flew out on xmas day, that was different. My dads mate went to live nearly 20 years ago and hes coming back on the 4th of Nov, boy is he gonna get a shock back up here again where the average temp will be about 0 over Xmas... I must say tho, I love the cold. :) Although I would like to emigrate I really fell in love with the place, its a shame ive only been twice and it takes nearly 25 hours to get there (I went to Perth, WA)

18. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Right now in Indianapolis it is 2 degrees Celsius. Winter is coming fast for us!

19. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Typical Brits. moan about the eweather if it is too cold, too wet, too variable and now too hot. I love our country :D Yesterday was the biggest electrical storm in 10 years near me and it topped 20?C today, it is crazy.

20. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

It is about 16˚ Celsius here in PA, a nice fall day. But you are right, winter will soon be upon us.