Well ... what now?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by plinden, Apr 11, 2006.

1. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I have Windows installed using Parallels Workstartion.

Everything looks stable, and I've turned off auto-update since that appeared to have caused a kernel panic yesterday, but it may also have been due to using a VM created with the first beta, with the beta2.

The CPU is fast. Does pretty much anything I would want to short of playing 3D games.

So, it was kind of fun playing around with the installation, but now that I have this lovely blue UI running in a window inside OS X, any suggestions what should I do with it? There isn't really anything I want to bring over from my Windows days, so I'm at a bit of a loss.

The only thing I can think of, my brother is visiting at the weekend. He liked my iMac the last time he was over, but he said he had too much PC software to switch ... so I can show him that there's nothing holding him back.

But long term or even medium term ... any suggestions?

I'll keep Parallels for Linux, but I can't really see any reason to keep Windows.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

3. plinden thread starter macrumors 68040

plinden

Actually CivII works flawlessly. CivIII installs fine but can't find the CDROM on running. I guess an option is to get alcohol 52% and create a disk image.

Well, for CivII alone it is worth it to keep Windows around.

I'll dig out some more of my old Windows games and see what can be resurrected.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Man, oh man, I've been holding back on installing XP because I figured I was only going to do it because I could, not because I needed to. Now that I know Civ II runs well, I think I need to. Fond memories, good times.

Looks like I'll now require 36 hour days instead of the 32 hour ones I currently need.

5. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

It's a useful tool to evangelize the Mac. Take a MBP to Starbuck's and bring up XP, start playing Solitaire...;)

6. plinden thread starter macrumors 68040

plinden

By the way, I didn't use the CivII CDROM (although I do have the CDs).

CivII (and the original Civilization, as well as Colonization, Dune 2, Betrayal at Krondor, Prince of Persia, Lemmings ... well see for yourself) are now abandonware and are available at www.abandonia.com. Some of the older games will need Dosbox though.

Edit: Well, it appears alcohol 52% won't work in virtualization yet - it tries to modify the SCSI/RAID Host Controller. So the chances are that any games that need CDROM access won't work. Never mind, CivII will do me for a while. I'm sure Parallels will get this working in the final release.

7. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

8. supremedesigner macrumors 6502a

supremedesigner

LOL! Good one!

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Haven't tried this (since I have only installed Boot Camp, not Parallels) but couldn't you mount the ISO on OS X and feed that image to the virtualizer as a new virtual CD-ROM drive?

B

10. edgibson macrumors newbie

Re-install XP every 3 months now too?

I quit using PC's because XP was always getting errored and slowing down. The only thing you could do was to re-install XP and programs about every 3 to 4 months. Is that going to happen on a Mac too? Doing a full image of the drive with Ghost was about the fastest way of getting it back but unless I did a routine backup on a regular basis I always seemed to lose something important. I hope it's stabler than running regular XP Pro.

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Why would it be any more stable, it's still XP Pro. :confused:

I guess if you only boot to XP occasionally and use OS X more often it might be better than operating in there full time...

B

12. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

This is the case for the noobs who don't have any clue as how to not click the "INSTALL SPYWARE" buttons from IE.

It's not hard to maintain XP. Just takes a little more work than OS X does, but it's feasible. Plus a little common sense goes a long way...

13. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Agreed, Civ II is still a very fun game to play. In fact, it is one of the few games that I keep my PC around for. :)