Well. Why Aren't You Voting?!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TheMonarch, Nov 16, 2005.

1. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

2. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

Those are all the options we get? :eek:

It might as well be W. again!

3. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

4. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

lol.

Attached Files:

5. TheMonarch thread starter macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I do like the fact that Bill always includes his wife.

6. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

How can JK Rowling be in the lead with 59%? She just wrote some fantasy book and made herself a lot of money. It was a close call between Rick Warren and the Pope but I ended up voting for my true Savior, Steve Jobs.

/I'm going to Hell.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I went with the Google guys.

Sorry.

(snickers.....teehee!)

8. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Wtf?

J.K. Rowling?? Why is she even a choice?

9. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

I suppose GW was a lot more altruistic. He became president and made all his rich friends richer. :rolleyes:

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It goes to the person who had the most impact on the world, good or bad. That's how Hitler won it.

GWB might not have done anything super cool last year but he did have the biggest impact on global thinking and as such was the deserved winner. I don't think SJ should win, nor JK Rowling.

That being said I'm going to go vote for Steve.

11. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Well JK's waaay out in front but Steve's actually third.

Not too bad really.

Attached Files:

12. iGav macrumors G3

F@*&$%!$!^!**&ing Bono for christs sake??? the man who oversimplifies the problems of the world. :rolleyes:

13. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i agree with iGav... really tired of Bono thinking he's the second coming... :rolleyes:

14. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

And I third that. As much as I like U2, I still think they're extremely overrated.

15. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Can I fourth it? I went to one of the U2 concerts this year (not at full ticket price thankfully) and when Bono started ranting, I really felt like shouting back that I paid my money to hear them play music not make simplified political statements without a balanced argument.

16. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

well i am fithing it.... Bono and U2 can go somewhere..far away. I dont like there music and Bono is well a bit of a dramatist...sigh.
    But for my vote it was between steve and JK i voted steve.

PS: for all those people who are ranting about JK..be quiet. that woman has single handedly made millions of children all around the world enjoy reading again!!

17. Apple macrumors 6502

Apple

Actually I voted for JK Rowling. What an amazing woman...

Just Kidding I actually voted for Steve Jobs.

18. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Yup, that's why I just voted for Mother Nature. I think natural disasters have affected people's lives this year a lot more that J.K. Rowling (not that I have anything against her).

19. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

How can anyone not be voting for Steve! This is not Harry Potter Rumors! Nor is it Mother Nature Rumors! Get your priorities straight, people.

Vote Steve.

20. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

he's getting some good stuff done though. it takes more than one approach to fix things, in my opinion.

and if i'd actually gotten into a u2 show, i'd have been glad to hear him talk about his ideals. what i'd have gotten a laugh about was all the greedy pieces of **** that were there cheering it all on, and then going on with their lives as usual the next day

chundles has a good point though, and jk rowling should be last.

21. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

Sixth!

Also, entertaining children shouldn't make you "Person of the Year". To me though the title of the award an the description doesn't seem to match up well.

Wouldn't it make more sense to title the aware "Most Influential Person" of the year or "Most Newsworthy Individual of 2005"? That is what the description says. Calling this "Person of the Year" makes it sound like this person would be some great person who moved humanity forward.

What do we have... Bill and Melinda Gates are good philanthropists, I guess I'd vote for them if I had to pick one. Lance Armstrong does some good charity work for cancer - but working to cure a disease you are/were stricken with is not the most altruistic thing you can do in life - it's a little self-serving. (Don't get me wrong, he's doing great things and I'm glad... I'm just not sure he deserves as much praise as he gets) Bono likes to parade around as a humanitarian for spectacle. We have some authors, CEOs of tech companies, a new pope who hasn't had much time to do anything yet, some bad politicians. (Why aren't there any other foreign leaders, just the US? We're so damn arrogant!) A news reporter and "Mother Nature"? To whoever compiled that list, "That's not even a person, f*** nut!"

22. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

But Bono is the one getting $100/seat at the concert - who is the greedy piece of **** now? I tend to think that when you do humanitarian work you shouldn't toot your own horn about it. At least when Bill Gates makes donations and the like he doesn't go around shouting, "Look at all the great things I'm doing!".

23. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I really think Mother Nature deserves to be there - considering all the major events that have impacted the world over the last year - more so than Harry Potter....

Bleh,

D

24. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

in a way i hear you.. but don't you at least think there's something to be said for raising awareness?

i'd say that beyond his financial contributions to the various causes (primarily africa's poverty/aids relief), his being a public figure for the cause has an invaluable aspect... if even 1% of the people who sign the ONE pledge at a show, or whatever, get more involved and open up their minds to that problem, and others, it will be a good thing.

i'm not sure how i feel about the big $ for the shows. i do think that the show u2 puts on (based on their previous two tours, i didn't go this time) is far more worth the $ than someone like nathalie merchant who basically stands on stage and sings for similar money.. or did, when she was popular.

i don't think he's some sort of saint, but i'd say he's done more good than jk rowling or steve jobs, for sure.