Wells Fargo and Bank of America to Add Apple Pay Support to ATMs

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 28, 2016.

1. MacRumors
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Bank of America and Wells Fargo are working on implementing apple pay into their ATMs, reports TechCrunch, citing a source with knowledge of the project. Both companies are said to have engineers working on the technology that would likely allow Apple Pay to be used at an ATM in place of a physical debit card.

When questioned about the possibility of Apple Pay at ATMs, Wells Fargo head of ATMs Jonathan Velline suggested the information was accurate and that Wells Fargo was working on adding support for mobile wallets that would meet all of its customers needs.
    Bank of America was less forthcoming about its plans, but told TechCrunch the company is developing a cardless ATM solution that would let customers use NFC technology on their smartphones to authenticate and complete transactions at Bank of America ATMs. The company would not confirm which phones it will work with.

Bank of America plans to begin rolling out its cardless ATM solution starting in late February at ATMs in Silicon Valley, San Francisco, Charlotte, New York, and Boston before a wider rollout set to take place in mid-2016. Wells Fargo did not provide information on when it plans to implement its NFC-based card replacement feature.

Apple Pay at ATMs would be a big win for Apple, given their prevalence across the United States. Wells Fargo has more than 12,800 ATMs, while Bank of America has more than 16,000.

Article Link: Wells Fargo and Bank of America to Add Apple Pay Support to ATMs

2. penajmz
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

penajmz

3. Gasu E.
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68040

Gasu E.

Sounds great, until the first time it accidentally cleans out someone's bank account. That would be a lot more upsetting than a double-charge glitch.

4. JonneyGee
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

JonneyGee

This would be amazing. I'm a BoA user and the only time I need my debit card is at an ATM since I use my credit card for everything else. We're still several stores shy of me being able to quit carrying my credit card, but at least this would thin my wallet out a little bit!
    --- Post Merged, Jan 28, 2016 ---
    How would this even be of concern? Apple Pay would be used for validation instead of an ATM card and the rest of the process would be the same. You're just as likely to do that swiping a card as you would be with Apple Pay.

5. thisisnotmyname
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

thisisnotmyname

You are right, it wouldn't. They are probably just trolling or didn't think it though all the way. TouchID is more secure than a short numeric only passcode.

6. naeS1Sean
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

naeS1Sean

Owww. I'd like this for Wells Fargo. :cool:

7. gaximus
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

My bank doesn't have ATMs, they just reimburse all ATM charges. They support Apple Pay, so I wander if it would work at other bank ATMs

8. zyr123
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

I just tweeted them too

9. CPx
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

This would be sweet. Between this and rolling Apply Pay out at gas stations, this could be very cool.

10. gsmornot
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

gsmornot

Since my grocery store has not turned on Apple Pay...I'm still bummed. I guess this will help some but most of my cash comes from cash at checkout when I pay at stores. Its cheaper than an ATM fee when you're not near a local ATM.

11. madsci954, Jan 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2016

madsci954
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68030

12. Crzyrio
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

This is awesome.

Now if only one of the Canadians bank would even get Apple Pay

13. duhvid
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

duhvid

And it begins....we've gone from gold to legal tender/debt to debit cards equipped with chips and now to a fingerprint NFC tender ... and later something else will replace that, but electronic funds will win

14. joueboy
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

What's the big deal with this banks and why they're years behind on this? They are not some small time bank like my local bank still doesn't support Apple Pay. How hard could it be or they're just waiting some kind of a deal they can get. Is it their greedy nature that's holding them all these years to support Apple Pay. Do they want Apple give them money a percentage of every transaction? SMH!

15. b1wils1
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

b1wils1

like previously mentioned, this and gas stations would be GREAT.

16. Caliber26, Jan 28, 2016

Caliber26
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65832

Caliber26

Actually, Chase just announced they're moving in this direction:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money...olling-out-atms-give-cash-via-phone/79374222/
    Yep. A chip (or mark) on our hands or foreheads and without it we won't be able to buy or sell.

17. duhvid
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

duhvid

FDIC Banks man
    Banks need to be progressive and take advantage of the tech available to them. It's interesting to see the way currency is heading too.

18. Rogifan
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors P6

Rogifan

How about bringing Pay to Target? Is that so difficult?

19. rdlink, Jan 28, 2016

rdlink
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68040

rdlink

Nothing like a little unwarranted FUD to round out your day. Apple Pay would be used for dipping your virtual ATM card, and then the screen prompts would take over, just like any other ATM transaction.

This would destroy the skimming slime bags.
    Seriously? The tech to make this happen is not easy to implement. Plus, Wells Fargo has over 12,500 ATMs in the US.

I'm sure that there will be no money changing hands on this implementation. Wells Fargo will be getting a large problem fixed from a security standpoint (no more skimming at their ATMs). And Apple will be getting another reason to get people to buy iPhones.

20. jedifaka
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

jedifaka

I think I rely too heavily on MacRumors for my technology news. I sincerely believed Apple Pay had the drop on its Android Pay competitor and had effectively left in in the dust. So I was really surprised to read, "Right now the initial launch is with Android Pay, but that doesn’t limit us from considering other mobile wallets."

21. penajmz
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

penajmz

22. jayducharme
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68030

jayducharme

I'm really glad to see this is finally beginning to happen. ATMs have been notoriously poor for security, and Apple Pay would be a large step toward fixing that problem.

23. iJandro
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

iJandro

NICE! Now if city Parking Meters can get on-board with NFC technology, we'd be SET!

24. can$rules
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

ATMs? Who even uses cash anymore? They should focus on having all transactions done through the phone.

25. budselectjr
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

I know Exxon is doing it but more gas stations need to start switching over as well with all the skimming going at the pumps.