Went to the opening of the new NYC Apple Store, met Steve Jobs!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SuperSnake2012, May 19, 2006.

1. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

:D :D :D :D :D

(click the thumbs to enlarge the original photo)

I am seperating this into several posts because MacRumors isn't letting me post more than 10 pictures per post.

Yes, I met the Steve Jobs today. :D I will explain everything with pictures so here you go! :)

I left school at 2pm today, hopped on the 4 train downtown. When I got off the train, it was pouring. I ran around trying to find the new Apple Store. After getting drenched I finally found the store and hopped in line. I stood behind the store and I snapped a few pictures with my camera.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. SuperSnake2012 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The line was already extremely long because people decided to camp out and wait for the opening. Some people even brought tents! They came well prepared.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

While I desperately waited for 6pm (it was only 3pm when I arrived) I snapped a few photos of the fountains they had in front of the store and got some better angles.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

A few people decided to bring along their Macs to help speed up time.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The store was inside the glass cube, and all you could see was the giant Apple logo glowing inside the cube.

[​IMG]

3. SuperSnake2012 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Some pictures of where I was:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

When it got closer to opening time, all the employees came outside and started getting the crowd pumped up. They were telling everyone about the free Macbook sweepstakes.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Everyone was chanting "Steve, Steve, Steve!" so I desperately searched the streets of Fifth Avenue looking for him but he was nowhere to be found. There was tons of media coverage of the event.

[​IMG]

Right before the store opened, someone got on the top of a building and held up a sign saying "We Love U2 & Apple" so I snapped a few pictures. They were really far up so the pictures aren't great.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. SuperSnake2012 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I then caught of glipse of Steve in front of the store! He is standing up front. Oddly, there were several Steve-lookalikes at the opening. The picture is blurry but you can make him out.

[​IMG]

Everyone was getting excited and we all tried to get inside the store. This just gives you an idea of how many people were in front of me on line:

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Everyone was trying to get a picure of Steve so you see tons of people holding up camera phones and digital cameras.

[​IMG]

The line was starting to move so I made my way to the store.

5. SuperSnake2012 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I then got right up front and I snapped a few pictures before I walked in.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

A guy rode in on a Segway and had a license plate saying "MACGEEK" on it :)

[​IMG]

Some more pictures of the store:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

We finally got in and the audience and the employees were applauding as we were the first group to ever walk into the Apple Fifth Avenue Store.

[​IMG]

When I walked into the building, I saw a glass staircase and there were already tons of people inside taking pictures.

[​IMG]

Then I found the new Macbooks waiting on the desks. It was extremely loud in the store, but I couldn't hear any whine and they were not hot. The screens were amazing. They show reflections in the pictures but it doesn't show in person.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. SuperSnake2012 thread starter macrumors 6502a

A couple playing with the iSight on the black Macbook:

Then, I hear a huge roar of applause so I go around to see what's happening! It's none other than the man, the legend, Steve Jobs! There was a huge crowd so I tried snapping a bunch of pictures but people from the media and photographers were trying to get pictures.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

7. SuperSnake2012 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Out of nowhere, Kevin Bacon walks in to the store and he is about two feet away from me. He takes a few pictures and leaves after a few minutes.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I then go around while every one is with Kevin to get a few better pictures of Steve. As you could see, everyone was crowding around him trying to meet him.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

8. SuperSnake2012 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I then get really close and get some good pictures.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. SuperSnake2012 thread starter macrumors 6502a

He then walks back and the employees show him around the store. When he comes back, he walks right past me. I stop him and introduce myself and shake his hand. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to take a picture but it was incredible. Steve is very nice and a real cool guy.

The new Apple Store also has seperate bars for iPods, computers, and something called "studio".

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I then signed up for the 6PM Macbook drawing and got a free t-shirt that has a cube on it that says Apple Fifth Avenue. I had quite the adventure so I decided to get back on the train and go home. I called all my friends saying I met Steve and they were jealous that they couldn't come. :p:
    If you're ever in New York, go to 58th Street and Fifth Avenue and stop by. It's an amazing building.

Note: Do not edit to return direct links to large photos... reduced versions are fine. - jsw

10. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

Any pictures of you with the Steve. As you can see in my sig, I went and the line was too long.

EDIT: Sorry, my computer is knowing that the end is near and giving me a hard time. Nice pics! I can't wait to get down there.

11. SuperSnake2012 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I tried but everyone was crowding around him. I was too nervous to say anything else too. It was like shaking hands with God. :D :eek:

12. p0intblank macrumors 68030

I'm at the store now and loving it! :D I'll be sure to post pictures when I return home. It was definitely a time to remember!

13. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Steve Jobs on NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams From Inside The Store

Please post your Pics. Here is a video of Steve talking with Brian Williams on NBC Nightly News this afternoon from inside the store.:)

So much for the NBC-Microsoft alliance. ;) Brian explains that NBC Nightly News will be doing a series on Steve Jobs' opinions all next week.

Attached Files:

14. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Yup i went there...too many people...did you like followed steve dude?...i think i see me in one of those pictures...

Bless

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

16. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Dude GREAT PICTURES!!! I almost felt like I was in there myself!!! ..Again awesome pics man..:) ...on the downside Steve looks real skinny. Hope he's alright..

17. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

18. TAV macrumors regular

Before this (and so many other) threads get hijacked...wait, this one is already slipping...

Excellent pics, excellent share. Thanks for taking the time to post up a solid "first hand" perspective. If I want to see how well Apple's PR department can hand out stills and B-roll, I'll check the networks.

Thanks for the share!

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wow, James Woods look very very very very very old now. The Bacon still looks cool.

Oh, and is the white MB case the same shiny plastic as before, while the black MB casing is matte and not shiny, kind of like the PB and MBPs?

20. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

As others have said, I too feel like I was there. Excellent shots. And was that James Woods in some of the pre-Bacon shots?

One request: when you get a sec, would it be possible to create reduced-size versions (say, 320x240, 640x480, or whatever) and then use those to link to the larger versions? The code you'd use would be:

[url=http://my.pic.site/big1.jpg][img]http://my.pic.site/small1.jpg[/img][/url]

I do love the pics - really! - but loading the page is a bit much for those members with lessor bandwidth. Thanks!

21. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Its Keria thats making the Bacon stay young;)

Bless

22. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

Awesome pictures! Awesome!
    I can't believe you got to shake Steve's hand.
    Can I shake your hand? Then I can say I shook the hand that shook that hand of Steve Jobs! :D

23. beatzfreak macrumors 6502

THANKS!!! Great Pictures and comentary.

I wanted to go, but had a very important appointment at 6pm.

Can't wait to see the store in person.

24. SuperSnake2012 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The white Macbooks were shiny while the black ones looked something like the Pismos.

25. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^Oh okay. The black MBs are a bit ugly IMO. I actually wish the casing was a shiny plastic like the iBooks.

Yeah man, and don't wash that hand. Bacteria is your friend.