were any of you guys considered nerds in high school?

Discussion in 'Community' started by acidrock, Apr 26, 2004.

1. acidrock macrumors 6502

hey were any of you guys considered nerds in high school? I was one of the biggest geeks at my school, it's funny now that I think about it, people actually thought i was smart!

2. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i was a nerd but not a genius..but my nickname was einstein

and by hs, i was no longer a nerd but more normal and balanced

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Nerd? No. I was more the long-haired goth/heavy metal guy that no one really talked to 'cause they were afriad I'd steal their soul or something.

Lethal

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

Maybe a few people called me that, but I didn't care to notice because at that time I was quite anti-social.

5. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

My group of friends and I were the "cool" people. I was pretty involved in high school, and popularity came as a result.

Oh, you nerds suck! :D :) Why don't you go watch some "Star Trek" reruns you nerds! :D Popular people rule! (Because we all know the class system from high school applies to adult life.)

6. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Considering I'm in my first year in high school, I am considered a big nerd, but not a book smart one. I can name every character in Star Wars, can name every part of a computer (chipset, V RAM, ect.) and, well, just check my profile to see my other hobbies. ;)

7. macka macrumors regular

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yepp, i was that kid that everyone aksed for answers but was jerk enough not to always give it to em but yeah i was considered book smart in some subjects plus geeky because of my computer knowledge...blah im glad that im still a english nerd and a computer geek

9. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

here's what i saw from my schooling...68-82...or something like that ;)

the nerds did not get the dates or go to the parties (and be "cool" and drink and do drugs) and the nerds did spend more time studying and were the "losers", but the extra studying (which led to lost date/party opportunities) usually led to college and better jobs after graduation

now at 40, i see who are the ones with the better cars, houses, prettier wives, etc..and they are the ones who were the nerds

it's just all when people "peak" in life...grade school/high school or later adult life...we are all stars at one time in life or another...fifteen minutes of fame if you will ;)

but i have seen some nerds get the grades, go to college, get the house and porsche, etc etc etc and take up hard core hedonistic partying and basically hurt themselves...and it's not pretty to see a 35 year old nerd turned yuppie acting like a 17 year old and hitting on 21 year old girls in clubs

10. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

people dont call me a nerd. im in the popular group but people know me very well for my knowledge in computers. everyone at school loves my website and gets much attention, they know im on the newspaper staff as a tech, they know im an apple salesman, they have seen the fun movies ive made in imovie. but i dont get called a nerd, not even a geek. they just know what im capable of i guess.

iJon

11. raynegus macrumors regular

I was what the ladies classified as a fine stud. Built for breeding. The finest hotties waited on me hand and foot. When I gave the order they took it willingly. I was hardly a nerd. Why the hell do you think I use a Mac? Geeks use PCs. Look at Bill.

12. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I was a nobody in high school really. People knew who I was, but I didn't really follow any particular crowd. I was friends with all different people in different groups.

13. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

I was the basketball player who got an A+ in AP Calc... Strange combination...

14. 7on macrumors 601

7on

15. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

I fell into a kind of limbo. Growing up I had a couple friends who ended up being in the popular crowd, and while I wasn't really part of their group I was accepted as ok. I took the AP classes and was into computers, but I also did sports, so I wasn't a jock or a nerd. Mostly I associated with my friends from band, but even then I wasn't a true band geek. It was nice sometimes not being pegged into one group or another, but sometimes it was a little lonely not being a major part of one group.

16. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Hmm, not quite sure where I fell in there. Although, my school was somewhat free of that, with only 180 or so people in my graduating class. If I had to apply the stereotypical cliques, I would say I hung around both with the nerds and the stoners. But I never really was 100% in either one...

17. acidrock thread starter macrumors 6502

as you moved through high school did any of your peers seem to change their attitudes towards you? As I came into my senior year it was really strange, everyone all of a suddent started to well kinda respect me, though I wouldn't totally call it that. When it was prom the talk of the high school was who I was taking, but I have no idea how that got started.

Have any of you gone back to high school reunions? I found out there was one for my class a few years ago but I couldn't go, because I didn't know about it, and Evergreen is on the quarter system, so I was still in school. Though I'm not sure I would want to, and I think only a few people actually from my class attended. -n

18. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

I was a hippie then. wasn't a nerd or uncool but wasn't seen as cool either. no one ever bothered me or my friends. I made close friends with my home ec teacher. we still talk. she is a total hippie also :)

19. beethovengirl macrumors regular

yup, I was a dork [but I didn't and don't watch Star Trek, Star Wars, or LotR].

I admittedly have some desire to go back to my high school reunion lookin' hot. ;)

Not that I am, but I've gained weight since high school, which is a good thing, since I have a double-digit weight.

20. Apple //e macrumors 6502

of course not, i was president of the chess club.

21. eyeon macrumors regular

Ha! Now that I think of it, I WAS last-picked for almost every sport. I wasn't a nerd because I played in a rock band, so I had at least a couple coolness points. But I was last-picked pretty much every time. Does that count?

22. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i was friends with almost every group. so it doesnt make me any of them.

23. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I was a nerd, there's no doubt. The only thing is, I didn't really think of myself as one and in terms of how much of one - there were many more kids who were nerdier than me.

D

24. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yeah, same here. These days, I'm not as social as some people, but I'm nowhere as bad as I was.

25. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I was a nerd, but I went to a magnet school so 1/4 th of the school was nerds. I also had 2 inches and 25 pounds on anyone on the football team so if push came to shove I could stuff them in the lockers.

MBHS if anyone cares. If you can't figure out the school look at westinghouse winners... :D