We're getting married!

Discussion in 'Community' started by mrjamin, Feb 17, 2004.

1. mrjamin macrumors 65816

Feb 6, 2003
    My girlfriend (anneleonard) and I have recently decided to tie the not! We got engaged on friday night, and hope to be married within the next 12 months.

So yeah - for those of you who're interested, we've been together for a little under 2 years, and actually met *coughs* on the internet! We weren't "looking for love", but I run a website for a singer/songwriter who anne was a bit of a fan of, and was the very first person to post on the forum we had. We ended up swapping a few emails, chatting on MSN, then it turned out that we were both going to be at the same place at the same time. We agreed to meet, and after spending 5 days together, we ended up getting together. After about 18 months of a long distance relationship (I was in Reading, she was in Nottingham), anne's job came to a natural end, and moved down to Reading. So yeah, there you have it!

Hehe - I like "our story".

Anyone else got any interesting stories of how you met your boyfriend/girlfriend/fiance/wife/partner?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
  3. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the story--and congratulations! I think I'd get in trouble with the wife if I posted our story, though :)
  4. joker2 macrumors 6502a

Feb 19, 2003
    DC area

Congratulations! I just got married last year after a seven-year relationship that started on the 'net, originally in an EFnet IRC channel.

Long story short, we talked on IRC, met at a channel party, had a long-distance (400 miles) relationship for 6 months, he moved to be closer to me. That lasted for three years. I moved back to my parents' place 1500 miles away, he moved out about 4 months later. After 3 years out here, we got married in September and got our own place, and here we are :)

We still IM each other even when we're both home, (most efficient way to get URLs across) and we communicate a lot better (both verbally and textually) than many other couples we know.
  5. howard macrumors 68020

Nov 18, 2002
    about you guys that have long distance relationships...

i also have a long distance relationship and also find that we have really incredibly communication skills. interesting how that happens, cause communication is all we have and we've become pros at it.

i'm getting the feeling that having a trusting healthy long distance relationship is good in the long run, not only because of what i just mentioned but also because you won't take the other person for granted when you do spend time with eachother
  6. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Oct 21, 2002
    Congrats mrjamin!

My wedding story is pretty boring. We met in High school at a mutual friend's house. You could say it was love at first sight. We both felt something immediately. I just knew that she would be with me for the rest of my life at that first glance. (But let me tell you it hasn't always been a fairy tale. ;)) Anyway, we dated our senior year and on into college. We took a 9 month break in college (to do a bit of growing up...) got back together, got engaged, got married, had a kid right away. We will be married 7 years in July and together for almost 11. Now we have 2 boys a dog and a mortgage. :D
  7. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    congratulations...may your first child be a masculine child...
  8. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
  9. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

Dec 30, 2002
    Chicago, IL, USA
  10. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Jun 28, 2002
    North Central Colorado
    congradumulations. :D

Don't do anything I wouldn't do... and if you do, name it after me :D ;)

congrats :)
  11. Chappers macrumors 68020

Aug 12, 2003
    At home
    Long distance relationship - before we married we were on different continents ( and about 2000 miles) for 4 years.
    Happily married now for six years.

Good luck to you both.

ps. Don't get married on Valentines day, it will seem like a good idea in about 12 months time but trust me - resist.
  12. mrjamin thread starter macrumors 65816

Feb 6, 2003
    No chance! I hate valentines day with a passion
  13. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Congratulations mrjamin, May God richly bless your union.

I have always been surprised by long dating relationships and engagements. In my case, I met my wife just prior to Valentine's day. On the 3rd date I ask her to marry me. Completely out of character for me. It was love at first sight for both of us. We were married September 9th, 1972. Still happily married.

I hope that you will also find happiness. I Christ is in your life, you can't help but be successful. Is she a Christian also?
  14. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    what? iChrist? Someone has been playing with their Apple for too long...

15. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Apr 26, 2003
    Wakayama, Japan
    shoot man, I should mention that to my priest, he should get the church on that one quickly. iChrist, he comes in 5 colors!
  16. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    Congrats man, it's a cool thing to do.

I met my wife at university in the early 80's, we went out for a few weeks before I dumped her for another girl (I was young...). She didn't speak to me for two years, then after we'd graduated I wrote her a letter on an impulse, and we met up a few times, so I guess she'd forgiven me.

We spent 10 years or so at opposite ends of the country (and opposite sides of the planet for 3 years) before we finally got it together enough to give it another go, got married a year later in 95, had a daughter in 98, still going strong.

My advice: marry your best friend...:D
  17. rueyeet macrumors 65816

Jun 10, 2003
    Yet more congratulations! I've got nothing but admiring astonishment for those with the courage to enter into the bonds of matrimony.

As to the stories of meeting on the Internet, I don't have any of my own yet. ;) But that's what friends are for:

One couple I know met about a decade ago in AOL's Red Dragon Inn, and moved in shortly after their first face-to-face meeting, and got married in the same year.

My roommate from college met her husband in real life, and had actually known him awhile, but when they fell for each other, he was stationed in Japan! The Internet kept them connected for over a year until he could get a week's leave to come home and get married, and then over those last few months of his duty overseas. Their first child was just born in November.

I wish you as much good fortune as they have! :)
  18. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

Oct 30, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Re: We're getting married!

If your relationship survived 18 months long distance, then you guys are well on the way :)
  19. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Jun 23, 2003
    St Augustine, FL
    So...proposed on Friday the 13th, eh? Best of luck to you! :D
  20. ibookin' macrumors 65816

Jul 7, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Congratulations. I hope you have many happy years together.

Also, her being a Mac user is always a plus. :D
  21. mrjamin thread starter macrumors 65816

Feb 6, 2003
    indeed she is - i wouldn't have it any other way!

Thanks all - its been cool to hear stories!
  22. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    Congrats man. I have no story to share, but good luck. ;)