We're going to Mars! (we're not sure how exactly and paying with credit)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by blackfox, Dec 5, 2004.

1. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

So, I have some problems here. Don't get me wrong, I love the concept of Space Exploration, I think it is one of the finest examples of the more laudable parts of our humanity. My problems are these:

1. That we are spending 16 Billion dollars now, in the middle of a War, with a huge Budget Deficit, and plenty of un- or under-funded problem right here on Earth, at home. These include Health Care, Education, Energy and so on. I think Space Exploration is important, and in some cases, worth sacrificing for. Still, I cannot help but be galled at the irresponsibility of funding such an enterprise in the current climate.

2. That there does not seem to be a detailed plan, as what this money is to be used for, or how much the "grand plan" envisioned by Bush will actually cost. It seems like carte blanche and again irresponsible.

3. Delay. First off, the manner in which he secured funding for Nasa (in his district, I might add) was to stick it in the OmniBus bill and then threaten to scuttle the whole thing if he didn't get all the funding he asked for. Irresponsible again.

What do you all think? Am I being too harsh?

2. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

No, not too harsh. It was the state of the economy (and waning interest from the public) that scuttled the Apollo Moon landings.

We will have spent about $120B or better in Iraq. That money could have gotten us to the Moon again, and a whole lot of new technologies. Or that money could of been used to help fund NCLB. Or to have given real relief to seniors needing medical care and prescriptions.

The shame of it we keep electing these bozos back into office. They fight term limits, because they know most voters seem to dumb to go against the tide. Or too dumb to see past the dirty ads.

3. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

You are definitly a Radical Centralist Wingnut! :D

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Its still only 4% of the whole budget which isnt much. Nasa needs a overhaul, and a new system to get us moving again so i am for the Nasa budget. Boeing has a nice concept of a modular design which includes a crew exploration vehicle. If we can piss away the billions in iraq then we should support Nasa.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Isn't it time we sorted out some of the problems here on Earth? It may only be 4% of the whole budget, but most of that budget is being borrowed from abroad, which can't be good. The only reason you can "piss away billions in Iraq" is because everybody else is subsidizing it. And because GWB can't afford to admit he blew it.

7. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I say **** it. If I were going clean, flat-out bankrupt and knew it, I'd use all the credit I had to buy all the toys I could afford with said credit. I mean, I know I'll never have to pay the bill.

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Shut up and buy some dollars, limey. We need to finance a very big rocket ship.

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

The space program has been floundering with shuttle for years so i am all for a new design thats safer cheaper and lays down the building blocks instead of one shot wonders to space. The Boeing concept deserves a look and by using many current made items like the delta4 and shuttle's main booster we could have a sustained way to low orbit,high orbit and lunar orbit operating within this new budget. I know its Nasa and they never have anything underbudget. :rolleyes:

11. blackfox thread starter macrumors 65816

blackfox

that was funny.

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I'm already buying up as much of your dirt-cheap third world merchandise as I can. Gimme a break! :D

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

A break? Have you seen the currency exchange tables lately? You're already getting one.

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Why else would I buy? :D
    Those 30" displays look awfully tempting, come to think of it....

15. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

But there will always be problems here on Earth. Not that I agree w/Delay's tactics, but if we wait for all of Earth to be a-okay before we look back to space we'll never look back to space.

Lethal

16. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

including a rocket to get you off the planet, eh?

17. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Wanna buy some wood?

I think our #1 export in the past 5 years has been manufacturing jobs.

Wait, I though Bush was going up.

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Funnily enough, yes. I buy quite large quantities of American White Oak: it's even cheaper than the Chinese stuff these days.

19. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I thought that was Haliburton. :D

20. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I see what you mean, but we also need to have politicians that are willing to look at the larger picture (and not operate in a vacuum). What could we have done with the $150B to $200B that the Iraq War II is going to cost us?