We're number 27!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iMikeT, Jun 19, 2013.

1. macrumors 68020

2. macrumors 68020

localoid

The American Dream Machine has been running out of gas (both literally and figuratively) since the 1970s...

3. macrumors 68000

mcrain

I disagree. I think that American ingenuity hasn't gone anywhere. I think people of every socio-economic level still innovate and hope to improve their lives. I think the biggest change between now and decades ago is that all of the money is once again concentrated in the hands of a few industrialists (to use a term from the era). As a result, if you do innovate, you are bought out in an offer you would be stupid to refuse, but then your idea is swallowed and destroyed by the larger fish who gobbled up your baby. (yes, I'm mixing metaphors. Deal with it).

The other thing that happens is that bigger companies, and to a smaller extent, patent trolls do everything they can to protect their turf and prevent competition.

Finally, if you manage to resist the lure of massive money to sell out, and survive the inevitable litigation, you have to compte with their money. How do you get in front of customers? Advertise? Money. Walmart or any other retailer? MONEY. The system is not designed to have an upstart innovating company succeed, and it is set up that way by the people who are already successful.

Those who have all the money, land, castles have no desire to have to share air with the neveaux riche.

4. macrumors 68020

localoid

American ingenuity may not have gone anywhere but the country's supply of cheap, abundant fossil fuels has continued to diminish since the 1970s. Unfortunately, since that time, there has never been a shortage of people (and corporations) that have fought the transition to renewable energy systems, tooth and nail.

Renewable energy is still viewed by many as the enemy of the middle class and capitalism, when in fact, it's the only thing that will allow humans to sustain either in the future.

5. macrumors 6502a

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Are there actually people who think the middle class in the U.S. is doing well? "Occupy Wall Street", "We are the 99%", etc. It find it a little hard to figure out what the units of the above graph are, but, I find this one pretty clear. Middle class (and lower) income hasn't budged much since 1970, while the rich keep getting richer. But, you knew that already, surely:

[​IMG]