"We're sorry, but this is a serial number for a product that has been replaced. "

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jamaggic, Feb 23, 2010.

1. macrumors member

recently bought a factory unlocked 3GS from Australia (works great),,, went to the Apple support page to check its warranty status and got the above message.
    Does this mean the phone is refurbished? Stolen? any ideas...

2. macrumors demi-god

Where are you located? I don't know if this is your situation, but iPhones can only be serviced in the countries they were purchased in. i.e. an US Apple Store/AppleCare can't service an Australian iPhone.

3. thread starter macrumors member

yes, I know that Apple will not service the phone,,, I'm just wondering what the message "replaced " means, as it was advertised in ebay "as new, slightly used"...log showed about 20 hours of total use when I got it.

4. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

5. macrumors 6502a

DEE9299

i have a 3g that says that as well but i also have a 3gs that is a refurb but when i check warranty on that is says its still warrantied until the end of the year...

6. macrumors demi-god

If you go to Apple's Australian site and enter the serial number there, does it return the same thing? I wonder if the serial#'s are country specific?

7. thread starter macrumors member

went to the AU site and got the same message when I provided the serial#
    :confused:

8. macrumors regular

use the serial number from the phone, not the box.

9. thread starter macrumors member

10. macrumors 68010

Perhaps it's a phone that was turned into Apple for replacement and somehow was kept afterwards.

11. macrumors G4

Chundles

12. macrumors newbie

Did you buy this from ebay australian seller?

Did you buy this from ebay australian seller? I am also in same boat. can you write me back? Is the seller name is sys solutions/Nahar?

13. macrumors 6502a

JonnyIreland

This sounds like a replacement or refurb handset that has been sold to you in the box belonging to the original phone (as you probably know, Apple only switch out the phone itself, the owner keeps the original box/accessories). Normally, Apple also hand over a replacement barcode sticker for the box but maybe the seller didn't use it.
    It is not necessarily a big deal -in fact, I would bet that most replacement or refurb handsets have been tested to an even better degree than an original handset!
    Like others have said, try entering the serial number from the handset itself and not the one printed on the box ;)

14. macrumors 68000

You bought this from an eBay seller?

My guess (and it's only a guess) is that you're an unwilling accessory to insurance fraud.

Probably something along the lines of, the eBay seller took out insurance on their iPhone, then "reported" it to the insurance agent as stolen, so the insurance company replaced the phone. Then the insurance company automatically reported the original phone to Apple to get them to shut off the warranty. Meanwhile, to get rid of the evidence, the eBay seller sold the original phone overseas on the grey market for a tidy profit.

15. thread starter macrumors member

australian iphone

yes, purchased the phone from sys solutions, altho' the phone has no warranty after almost six months it is working flawlessly, JB with blackrain and no problems, luckly it was 3.1.2 so I'm backedup with Saurik....