Were the moon landings by NASA a hoax?

Discussion in 'Community' started by edesignuk, Jan 18, 2003.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I know this is *slightly* old, but I've just been reading about the possibilty of the moon landings by NASA in the 60's-70's being a big hoax to boost the US in the eyes of the world, to show Russia who's boss and so on.

Article.

There are alot of things in the pictures that realy don't seem to add up, I was just wondering what your take/opinion was on this?

...mmmmm...very odd :confused: ...

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

3. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    don't forget - there was no such thing as the holocaust also.

unless you ask about 6,000,000 jews, + 7,000,000 gypsys and others people. they thought it was pretty real.

edited to add the 7...

4. Dignan macrumors 6502a

Dignan

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

There is also the issue of Moon rocks. Apollo astronauts brought 841 pounds of Moon rocks home to Earth, a unique treasure trove that has taught us a great deal about the Moon.

"Moon rocks are truly unique, and differ from Earth rocks in many ways," says Dr. David McKay of NASA's Johnson Space Center, one of the people who run the Lunar Sample Laboratory Facility where most of the Moon rocks are stored. "Several museums, such as the Smithsonian and others, let the public touch and examine rocks from the Moon," says David.

Dr. McKay says that faking a Moon rock to fool scientists around the world would be next to impossible. "It would be far easier to just go to the Moon and get one!" he says.

"There's a big stack of scientific books in my office, full of research papers about Apollo Moon rocks " added McKay. "Researchers in hundreds of labs have examined Apollo Moon samples -- and not one of them has ever challenged where the rocks came from! These are not NASA people, either -- but are scientists in dozens of countries to whom we loaned Moon rock samples -- and they have no reason to cooperate in any hoax."

There are so many other common sense reasons to believe NASA truly sent men to the Moon. The integrity of the twelve astronauts who walked on the Moon, nine of whom are still living, is one. The vast number of NASA employees, who are, after all, just regular people doing a job, who would have had to conspire, lie, and maintain the lie for over 30 years is another.

Taken from here.

Lethal

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Go check www.badastronomy.com to get the whole thing - there was no hoax, its all real. NASA is even publishing something to definitively prove we went to the moon.

D

7. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

13 million people were killed during the holocaust, not 6.

anyway, back to the topic of the thread, i've been reading quite a bit on this, and am not really swayed either way. the evidence on some of the pro-hoax sites are pretty good, but i also came across this site:
    http://www.lunaranomalies.com/fake-moon.htm , which has some strong arguments against the hoax. hmmmm.:rolleyes::confused:

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

ok, people are doing the Moon Hoax for their own publicity, all the 'evidence' I've seen is ignorant observations by individuals who want to believe in conspiracies. If you have a good set of facts validating the hoax, post it here.

But I'm very dubious on that your info will be any more realistic than any of the others I've read.

D

9. runningman macrumors regular

I'll agree no hoax. There arguments are set up just to make a reasonable doubt to help sell books and increase profits on the lecture circuit. Same people argue about the world being flat.

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

hoaxes use junk science

every "fact" i've seen in the moon hoax theories has been soundly debunked. there are many hoax debunking sites. many are good reads.

i find it's easier for people to spread gossip than do their own research. a sad commentary on what passes for science education in public schools here in the US.

11. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

edesignuk, you better look out or astronaut John Glenn might come around and punch you in the face! Just like he did to one of the guys who wrote about the conspiracy theory.

12. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

ROFL! Thanks, I'll be checking behind my back ;)
    BTW, I'm not saying I believe any of this, but it did make me think twice.

13. 3777 macrumors 6502

Think it was Buzz Aldrin who punched the idiot in the face:eek:

14. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

yeah, I think you're right, but it's still funny to think of a geriatric ex astronaut throwing down with an interviewer!

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Go back to watching the X-Files Marathon ...

But remember,

"Reality" is what you see when you stop watching television.

16. blogo macrumors 6502

17. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

18. hype macrumors newbie

The pro-hoaxers always try to pick out "multiple shadow" seen in the moon landing photos caused by (as they would have us believe) numerous spot lights on the moon "set". Do they really think that NASA wouldn't think about this before going ahead with any sort of hoax?

The hoax moon landing theory just goes to show that some people have too much spare time.