Were you a big Mac user before OSX?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by edesignuk, Jun 27, 2002.

Were you a big mac user before OSX?

1. Yes

28 vote(s)
  2. No

16 vote(s)
  1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    Before OSX I had a G4 400 Tower with OS9, and to be honest, I didn’t really use it much. I never really thought much of OS9.
    Only after eventually buying OSX.1 several months ago did I begin to love the Mac world, soon I was using it all the time and ended up buying a brand new DP 1Ghz Tower (which is great BTW).
    But, the fact remains that the only reason I am now using the Mac is because of OSX, so, my question is…

Were you a big Mac user before the advent of OSX?
  2. evildead macrumors 65816

Jun 18, 2001
    WestCost, USA
    I have been a mac users...

I have been a Mac user most of my life and all of my computing life. My first Mac was a Mac+ . I dont remeber what OS we had on it... it was a long time ago and I was pretty young. I mostly typed up bookreports and played prince of persia (B&W), Then I got a hand me down IIvx from my dad as my first very own Mac when he upgraded to a 266 G3 desktop. It ran OS 7.1 and I upgraded to 7.6 (I think) later on. I went to 8.0, 8.1, then 8.6 but that was about the time it died on me. That was the year that the iMac was born. I ran out and got a Rev-A running OS 8.6. I upgraded to 9 as soon as I could. I installed OS 10.0.4 on it but it was pretty slow and I only had a 4GB HD so... it killed my space and my carracho server. After a few upgrades including going from the origonal 233G3 to a 466G3 I finaly took a step up to the pro line. I got a Quicksliver G4. Now im all about OS X!
  3. drastik macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2002
    Yes, from my Plus up to my tower and powerbook, I've had about a dozen Macs. My Plus ran for a few years, actually it still runs, but I haven't booted it in a while, I can't remember what the system was. Took a week to start up, though.
  4. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Aug 14, 2001
    I owned my Mac for 3 months before I tried OS 10.0. Even though I was barely a Mac user when I made the leap over to X, I was by then a Mac Devotee. I got 10.1 the day it was released and never turned back.
  5. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    I have used Macs since (I think it's now) System 6 on the IIgs, playing around with graphics. Then I moved on to a Quadra, and I used to watch astronomy demonstations on CDs, as well as download movies (I think these were legal to download and I am pretty sure they still are, as the site offers them for download) using the slowest and most unreliable 56k in the world. Downloading a 10MB file sometimes took 7 hours. Man, did I get mad at it.

After that System 7 demonstration I moved on to my iMac 233. In ran OS 8.5 for a long time, before I gave it 9.1. I did have lots of problems, but I refused to come in contact with windows, unless I really didn't have much choice. (I can't imagine my old elementary now.) Then I got my iBook and Cube, and Aqua-ized them.

My iMac is in Maine under OS 9, since the internet doesn't work under X.

For me: Once a Mac user, always a Mac user.
    For others: Once a peecee user, always knows Macs are more stable but refuses to leave his/her peecee. You should know better. :cool:
  6. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

Apr 12, 2002
    Apple Computers Pre-OS X

First was the Apple II+ then a Performa 637cd then a PB 1400cs then unfortunately, a Compaq (but it had an AMD chip in it;) ) and now a PowerBook G4.

A few other computer I got used for really cheap and later sold:
    Mac Portable (should have kept for increased value in future :()
    PowerBook 100
    PowerBook Duo 210
    Mac Plus
    maybe a few others I forgot...

At least now I'm not sitting here anymore with my '040 Performa cursing because it won't run PowerPC software. That was the most annoying experience I ever had with Apple. Heck, you couldn't even run that simple graphing calculator they included with the OS. And still some applications wouldn't run because the cheaper model of '040 (68LC040) didn't have an FPU. I guess that is what led me to get the Compaq, but the PowerBook G4 and OS X were definitely good reasons to come back. At least now I don't have to reinstall drivers every few weeks because Windows decided to eat them.
  7. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    So it's almost 50-50 so far, interesting...c'mon, what about the rest of ya?
  8. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

i have been using macs since before i could talk coherently, and i used to love that helicopter game where you drop the guy into the hay truck, does any one know what im talking about.
    prince of persia rocks
  9. fitzg2md05 macrumors newbie

Jun 5, 2002
    Ive used macs For-ev-er....

Well...lets see...first mac(s) were 2 Mac se cpus. with 1 Mbyte Ram, and a processer well in the single digit range...that thing was a screamer...both of them. And all for only 3500 a piece! Then came the 33 megahertz performa...with cd drive (high class). Then came the infamous 7200 90 megahertz PPC. Wow...that thing was FAST! And last came my 350 megahertz sawtooth G4 thats in front of me now. And then this july ill be getting a new Gseries Tower at ??? megahertz. Overall...i think those SE machins were awesome with their little 7.5 inch black and white screens. Pretty worthless now, exept for my ongoing addiction to Sim Ant:cool:
  10. awrc macrumors regular

Apr 20, 2002
    Milwaukee, WI
    My current Mac (bought in February) is my first. Prior to that I used an ancient toaster Mac at university circa 1987 to do an assignment that required Hypercard, prior to that I'd never touched a Mac at all. The cost, the OS and the fanatical zealotry of certain parts of the userbase more than countered the droolworthy Mac-only apps, and eventually the Mac only apps became available on the PC, Windows became vaguely usable and so forth.

I only really got interested when my wife (who also has no prior Mac history) started gazing longingly at Titanium Powerbooks whenever we were in CompUSA and dropping broad hints. So in January this year I bought her a 667MHz TiBook, primarily for Bonus Husband Points - I wasn't particularly interested in it myself. Like I said earlier, I had no great fondness for MacOS.

However, I was present at the opening of the PowerBook box, and was impressed by the presentation. My wife skipped most of the setup and immediately changed the startup disk to boot OS X. I was then impressed by the OS X setup procedure, in particular the ease with which it could be hooked up to my existing WiFi network.

Then I was impressed by the OS X desktop and the familiarity of everything "under the hood". Then I started poking around the info on Apple's site about the developer tools, reading about the Cocoa frameworks and Objective-C (which previously had been thought of as "that thing that's supported by gcc that nobody actually uses").

The final straw was that over the period November-January I'd gone through no fewer than four different motherboards on my XP PC trying to find one that was stable, had wasted entire weekends lapping huge heatsinks to try to get the Athlon in the box cooled adequately, and still wasn't that much further forward. Oh, and the continual desire to upgrade the machine was a money pit.

So, succumbing to what I've termed "homebuilt PC upgrade cycle fatigue" I decided that what I wanted was a machine that would work right out the box, that wouldn't require me to pour the sort of money into development tools as was required on the Windows box (where I'd just ordered Visual Studio .NET), and that would last a lot longer before it began to feel obsolete.

The end result was that in early February, I talked myself into buying a dual 1GHz PowerMac. I've been very happy with it, even though it's turned out to be a money pit of a different sort (Apple Studio Display, Adobe Web Collection, GeForce 4 Ti upgrade so I can hook the Studio Display and the Samsung Syncmaster LCD that used to be on the PC up at the same time...)

The PCs still there, the idea was that my wife and I would both use it for the few remaining things we *needed* the PC for (PCAnywhere in her case, .NET development in mine). However, the machine is lucky if it's switched on once every couple of weeks, and even then it's usually only to download and install the latest Critical Patches.
  11. MacAztec macrumors 68040

Oct 28, 2001
    San Luis Obispo, CA

Before X, I used 9. Had an iMac 333MHz and used 9 all the time. Before that I had a Beige G3 Tower, than a 6116CD, then a Classic, then a...I dont rember.

Right now I have a G4 400MHz

My dad introduced me to macs. He has a G4 500MHz and a G3 Powerbook Firewire
  12. krossfyter macrumors 601

Jan 13, 2002
    secret city
  13. icetraxxg5 macrumors 6502

Apr 7, 2002
    Commerce Township
    To me Classic MacOS was horrible compared to windows but MacOS X made me buy a mac ;)
  14. evildead macrumors 65816

Jun 18, 2001
    WestCost, USA

Its all about Prince of Persia. Did you play part II as well. I got that when I had a Mac with a color monitor, my IIvx. I could play those games for hours. They just dont make them like they used to.

15. cb911 macrumors 601

Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia
    i only got a Mac around the start of this year, and if i hadn't gone to the college that i did i might never have got one. at college we had to use a few programs that were at the time only available for OS 9, and i hated that. to this day i have never booted up in OS 9, i think it's disguisting. it's the most ugly, cumbersome OS i have ever had the misfortune of setting eyes upon.

OS X on the other hand is the nicest looking and most easy to use and logical OS i have ever had the pleasure of using. X kicks XPs ass, although i did like XP and i still don't mind it, X has to be the best ever.

if there wasn't OS X i would probably go back to PCs after i have finished my course.
  16. Beej macrumors 68020

Jan 6, 2002
    Buffy's bedroom
    I've always been a Mac user, but now I love them even more with Mac OS X
  17. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

Jan 7, 2002
    2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    i'm still running 8.6

most of my apps aren't X compliant so i won't be X'in for quite some time.

and i may update to 9.2(or whatever it is...) if i get a wild hair.
  18. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

I used a Performa for five years with OS 7.5-8.6, Many of my Macrumors posts were with that machine, now I love OS X on my iMac. I have been a big user before OS X.
  19. teabgs macrumors 68030

Jan 18, 2002
    behind you
    well Im still technically "before OSX" since I run OS9.1 on my PowerMac 6500. I got this baby 3 months before the G3 was first released....If i'd known at the time I would have stayed with my Performa 6230CD a bit longer....

Well, I'll get a new tower after MWNY then I'm gonna try to go all OSX. Ive used it here and there a little but I dont get to do what I want with it since its always at work or on other peoples' machines....
  20. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    I learned design on a Mac...and I got to be pretty damned good troubleshooting Mac OS before X came along...

now I'm starting over...but I'll always be loyal to Macs... ;)
  21. mc68k macrumors 68000

Apr 16, 2002
    I've been using and loving the Apple/Mac experience since '95 when I got my first one, a Performa 630CD. That came with System 7.5, when Apple's OSs didn't even simulate multi-tasking.

My favorite Mac OS is 7.6.1, but is quickly becoming X because of the pre-releases I've been getting. :)
  22. mr.w macrumors regular

May 17, 2002
    Well my first computer was an Apple and I'm pretty sure my last computer will be an Apple. I started out with a Macintosh IIci (25mhz and 40mb HD OS 6.0.4) and the only thing i remember doing on that was playing # munchers (I must have been only 5 or 6) Then I upgraded to a Macintosh quadra 950 (33mhz 1gig HD cd-rom and os 7.0.1) didn't do much with this one either claris works, mario teaches typing, and I think kidpix... then in '96 my parents bought a performa 6400 (200mhz 2.4gig HD cd and zip and OS 8) (I thought i was the coolest kid on the block) I was addicted to PowerPete for years. Although one of my favorite games was marathon, Escape Velocity was pretty sweet too. Then in '99 bought a lime colored iMac (333mhz (G3) 6gig HD os 9) pretty sweet computer, wish I still had it, I'd want to make one of those cool looking fish tanks out of it. In 2000 I went portable with a pismo G3 PB (500mhz 10gigs os 9). Loved it 'till some bastard stole it from me. So I was FORCED to buy a dual 800 G4 with a 22in Cinema display in 2001.

In 20 years I'll have a G7 9ghz quad processor with a 60inch organic plasma display and OS 14 :)
  23. G4scott macrumors 68020

Jan 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've been using Apple computers for as long as I can remember. My first Apple was a IIe. We used it at home, and I remember a christmas tree game, lode runner, and a fisher-price bus game... Eventually, we got a Mac (performa 600 CD), and the IIe went to my mom's school, and then we donated it to our local museum because it was so old. They have it on display! They still use it for different exhibits, but at least I know that my family's first computer will be safely preserved... [tear] the nostalgia...

The next Mac we got was a performa 6400/180. We then got a G4/400. We bought it the right after Apple raised the prices, because our CompUSA is a little slow, and it takes them a while to change things... So we basically got a good deal... $1000 off :D My mom, who is really stingy about these things was actually ok with it. Now, I have an iBook, my mom got an iBook before, and it became mine, and now it is my little brother's computer. Mine is a 600 combo drive. I became really interested in Macs around the time of the G3, and when the rumors of OS X were out, I was all over them... I remember staying up all night installing the OS X pubilc beta on my 300mhz iBook... It wasn't until last year, that I discovered MacRumors.

looking back, I would say that I was quite the mac 'freak' (as my friends called me...) I remember helping out my 5th grade class use hypercard on old LC's...
  24. whawho macrumors regular

May 7, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    Nope I was a PC guy

What made me switch was using my friends girlfriends Imac... I just liked how aesthetic the OS was compared to windows and I liked how the OS worked. This was OS 9...so when I saw OS X it made me want a mac even more and the fact that it was built on UNIX I knew then it would be stable as hell compared to windows. I had always been a big fan of macs and so I sold my two PCs and bought me a G4 .....
  25. teabgs macrumors 68030

Jan 18, 2002
    behind you
    Re: Nope I was a PC guy

good man....