Were you surprised by the VP debate?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by kilpajr, Oct 6, 2004.

1. kilpajr macrumors regular

First, let me say that I am a Republican and support Bush. I did not know that Cheney has an openly gay daughter and apparently disagrees with Bush on gay rights. The best part of the debate for Edwards IMHO was when he pointed out Cheney's voting record. I believe the Democrats would have an easier campaign if Edwards was their presidential nominee. He seemed to be clearer on the issues and a more likeable person than Kerry.

Even if I were not a supporter of Bush's positions, I would not be able to vote for Kerry. You can argue about whether Kerry is flip-flopping on the issues but at the least he will not be perfectly clear about where he stands. Bush is clear, whether you agree with him or not.

As far as who won the debate, I would say it was a tie. Cheney did a good job when he stated that Edwards was discrediting the effort and casualties Iraqis have had during the war. He also showed the voting record of Kerry and Edwards. However, Edwards did a good job talking about the war.

What are your opinions on the debate?

2. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Would you rather have someone who is unwavering, but wrong... or someone who changes their opinion based on the facts presented? I choose the flip-flopper. Though, I admit, I am more voting against Bush than for Kerry. The Kerry/Bush debates did make that decision easier, however. I feel I know more where Kerry stands by listening to him, than listening to what Bush says Kerry said.

If you didn't know about the gay daughter thing, there is probably a lot more out there that you weren't aware of. I was like that too, didn't think about it until it started to hit a little to close to home. My best friend is in Iraq right now, and I wanted to know why. It was scary what I found. I am now vehemently against what the Bush administration stands for. This is my favorite new site.

Cheney did rather well. I was surprised that most people were giving it to Edwards, even when the analysts were giving it Cheney. Guess people are done with the rhetoric. Reading about it now, I realize it was a lot of style, but not so much substance. Just like the rest of the administration. I don't think Edwards did that bad, but he didn't do that well. I guess that's enough for most people (see "Tie Goes To The Runner").

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I thought it was a tie, was surprised that Edwards didnt tear into this administrations record but Edwards is more of a positive guy then a negative one. Cheney i think is the brain behind bush and a lot of his ideas are just wrong.

4. wwworry macrumors regular

5. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

For the record, I'm probably voting for Kerry. I watched about an hour of the debate last night (fell asleep), but I think Cheney was winning when I dozed off. He made some very good remarks about Edwards voting record, and made some good points otherwise. But even though I think he was winning, it was very, very close. Hopefully, I'll be able to stay up for the entire presidential debate. :rolleyes:

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

There's a VP debate thread already established. Can we confine our VP comments to a single thread please?

7. kilpajr thread starter macrumors regular

I guess I am just the opposite. I am voting more against Kerry than for Bush. Kerry says we need more allies to support us but he wants to have unilateral talks with North Korea? So if the talks fail and we need to take action, are the other countries that we kicked out of the talks going to support us? Also, Kerry says he is for gun rights but has voted against them every chance he has had. He said our troops needed body armor and their families were having to buy it for them but he voted against the 87 billion to support the war. It just seems to me that what he says and what he does are not the same. I do not agree with what he has done.

That being said, I do not agree with everything Bush does. The biggest problem I have is with the Patriot Act. I just recently learned that through this act, you can be investigated and taken into custody without a warrant. This is just plain wrong. The economy has gone downhill although it is getting better. I would like to know exactly what he plans to do to benefit the economy.

I know you have to look at what a candidate has done in the past to determine what they would do when they become president. However, I think there is way too much focus on the past for both sides. I wish they would explain more clearly what they plan to do but HOW they plan to do it. Overall, I am just more afraid of what the country will be like if Kerry is elected than if Bush is elected.

EDIT: If you think I am just repeating the republican arguments, show me where they are wrong. But, show me where they are wrong according to what Kerry has done, not what he has said.

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

appropriation bills have hundreds, if not thousands, of line items in them. it's the easiest political bashing tool available: if your opponent votes for or against it, for whatever reason, find something in the bill that makes your opponent look bad and pretend their reason for voting the way they did was that particular thing.

in this case, kerry voted very specifically against the provision that granted $7.5 billion to halliburton in no-bid contracts.

cheney's position is: kerry voted against body armor and fuel, other things found in the bill.

the question to you is: is cheney being disingenuous?

btw, the bill passed w/o kerry's vote. and the troops in iraq are still short on body armor.

nice shifting of the burden of proof.

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Most of what you mentioned is what Bush says about Kerry, not what Kerry actually says (or does).

I can't exactly give Kerry a ringing endorsement, but if you are going to dislike the man, dislike him for the right reasons. I would again suggest going to http://www.johnkerryisadouchebagbutimvotingforhimanyway.com/ for some good points. Also visit www.factcheck.org the place Cheney meant to point out. It actually points out what's wrong with the Bush administration, and what little is wrong with the Kerry/Edwards side. I'd rather go with the Dems on this one.

If you are afraid of stuff like the Patriot Act, wait until Bush is re-elected.