Wes Anderson

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MattG, Jan 2, 2005.

1. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Does anyone else here like his movies? I'm a big fan of "The Royal Tenenbaums," and I just went to see "The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou" yesterday. I'm still trying to figure parts of it out...I think I need to see it again. Regardless, the visuals and the soundtrack to the movie were awesome, as they usually are in his movies. Bill Murray deserves an award for this one...

2. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I haven't seen the Royal Tenenbaums, but I did see The Life Aquatic last week. I really enjoyed the movie, and I agree that the soundtrack and visuals were excellent. However, I can't see myself liking it nearly as much without Bill Murray

3. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

I seen it and loved it, as well as Tennenbaums and Rushmore, all awesome movies. I still need to pick up the Criterion Tennenbaums and Rushmore.

I guess I would say I am a fan of his movies :)

4. MattG thread starter macrumors 68040

MattG

Cool. I might try to go see "The Life Aquatic" again this week. Watching "Tenenbaums" right now just because :)

5. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Please no flames here - I am just calling it like I see it. I'm sorry but after seeing Aquatic I'm beginning to think that Anderson is coasting on his street cred from Rushmore and Tennenbaums. I didn't think that it was deep, existential, etc There were "funny," moments but not any that they didn't show in the previews. I left the theatre feeling as cheated as I have after every Sophia Coppola movie. I loved Bottle Rocket, Rushmore and Tennenbaums - all movies that stuck with me and I thought about for long after seeing them and I can't claim the same for Aquatic. Sure Anderson's visuals are compelling but the story is not there to back it up.

6. Sir_Giggles macrumors 6502a

Sir_Giggles

Tenenbaums was an excellent example of restrained filmmaking. I loved how the camera was always perpendicular to the sets and the characters inhabited the sets like a comic strip.

7. jywv8 macrumors 6502

I'm a big fan. I haven't seen The Life, yet, but I thought Rushmore was fantastic. I still need to see Bottle Rocket. I hear it's hilarious.

8. apple2991 macrumors 6502

Yes.

Bottle Rocket, really good. The Royal Tennenbaums, pretty good. Rushmore and Life Aquatic, fantastic.

I think what does it for me is that Rushmore and LA are much of character studies than Bottle Rocket and TRT. Just clicks with me, I guess. Also, Wes Anderson does the duality of characters (two characters in the movie representing 2 sides of the same person, a la Mr. Blume and Max in Rushmore) than anything I've ever seen.

9. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I'm interested to see The Life Aquatic, as it looks genuinely entertaining. On another, unrelated note, I saw The Aviator last night, and was quite disappointed. It was long, and very drawn out, trying to be big and epic, but ending up just boring. That coupled with a sorely miscast Leonardo DiCaprio, made it a rather dry film, that was overly long at 2h46m. Meh. Any other opinions?

10. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i just rented the life aqutic and loved it, so the next night i got the royal tenenbaums and equally enjoyed it

as far as the aviator, i fully expected it to be 100% percent fluff and to include all the worst a big budget hollywood movie could put out...but i was pleaseantly surprised and i actually liked the movie...but it's not the best historical piece, or action movie, and it's not even the best work of dicaprio (who was well cast in romeo and juliet, and perhaps not the best choice as howard hughes)

i would have cast an older, or at least older looking character to play the part of howard hughes but dicaprio did a better job at playing hughes than i expected him to

a more miscast actor for hughes would be tobey mcquire or john travolta, for instance, and a much older actor like dustin hoffman or gene hackman would also not fit the part

much of what howard hughes achieved and invented was in his early years before schizophrenia rendered him unable to function

11. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I saw this a couple of months ago and I really got a kick out of this movie. So much so that I felt justified in spending $15+ on the soundtrack. :D I really do need to watch the movie again, though, I bet I missed a ton of details.

12. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

Big fan of Wes Anderson. I bought Rushmore by mistake on DVD a couple of years ago and loved the understated deadpan silliness of it.

At first all his films seem slightly underwhelming, but as they go on, they have a peculiar charm and they really stick in your mind. A second viewing is essential as they are all full of intricate details you miss the first time around.

Portuguese cover versions of David Bowie? Excellent. When I found this out I knew I would love the film.

13. MattG thread starter macrumors 68040

MattG

Wow, I love it when really old threads of mine come back from the dead :) And on Halloween!

Is Wes working on anything else right now?

14. Nanda Devi macrumors regular

15. Kobushi macrumors 6502a

Kobushi

Yeah, I'm gonna have to go ahead and uh....disagree....yeah.

I had heard so many things about The Royal Tenenbaums, that I think I had too high of expectations. It was one of the first times I wanted 2+ hours of my life back. I was looking for comedy and instead found a documentary of my family. Not funny...just depressing.

Notwithstanding, the cinematography was outstanding. I loved the camera angles and some of the pans in the movie.

16. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

17. MattG thread starter macrumors 68040

MattG

Great soundtrack! I listen to it all the time! I love his renditions of the David Bowie songs, even if I can't understand what he's saying ;)

18. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

wes anderson is great, but so is the core of his films... the wilson brothers (especially owen with the writing on the first 3), and then some of the lesser players like deepak and kumar pallana. with a stop motion in the works, i wonder if those people will do voice acting... and bill murray? should be interesting...