Wesley Clark is here!! #10

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Macmaniac, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Clark is now in the race, so my fellow democrats what do you think?
    Clark Enters Race
    How do you think this will effect the presidental race, and can he beat Bush?

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Well, I'm not a Democrat, but a Clark candidacy does make things a lot more interesting, and I'm looking forward to learning more about the man and what he believes.

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Clark brings excellent security credentials to the table. Now I'll be interested to hear what his thoughts on everything else are. I like the fact that he is a Rhodes scholar, and that every time I see him talk, he seems knowledgable and comfortable with the issues. He seems like a straight shooter type to me.

As my sister said when evaluating GWB, "I don't like my president to be my intellectual equal (she was being generous, she's very sharp). I want to feel like he/she is head and shoulders above me."

Clark gives me that feeling.

4. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I need to learn a lot more about Clark to consider voting for him, but I have to say I'm intrigued by his candidacy. In the CNN article in a very brief summary of his views on some major issues it says:

I like all of that, assuming that his reconsideration of Clinton's policy on gays in the armed services doesn't mean going back to the previous policy of discrimination. Anyone know what is his position on abortion rights? He's running as a Democrat, so I'm assuming he is pro-choice, but I've never heard a statement on the issue.

5. michaello macrumors newbie

I love his announcement: "Draft Movement Succeeds in Recruiting Wesley Clark — 'Mission Accomplished'"

Wesley Clark:

Ranked first in his class at West Point - Master’s Degree in Philosophy, Politics and Economics from Oxford University where he was a Rhodes Scholar - A recipient of numerous U.S. and foreign military awards, including the Silver Star, two Bronze Stars, and a Purple Heart, dating back to his experience fighting in Vietnam - Received honorary Knighthoods from the British and Dutch governments and was made a commander of the French Legion of Honor - Awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation’s highest civilian honor.

George W. Bush:

Arbusto Energy, Inc. (Failed Venture) - The Spectre 7 Energy Corp. (Failed Venture) - [Spectre 7 was bought by Harken Energy Corp., which named George W. Bush “Director and Consultant”, until June of 1990, when Harken asked George W. Bush to see into the “restructuring of the company”, before announcing a $23 million loss for the past quarter, and then losing a further 60% of its value over the following six months. But, that’s okay, because Bush sold $848,560 of his Harken stock just one week before the announcement.] - Owner of Texas Rangers - Conquered Alcoholism and quit using cocaine - Governor of Texas - Deemed "President of the United States" by the Supreme Court.

I'd say Mr. Clark has the upper hand here.

6. michaello macrumors newbie

7. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

I'm not a democrat, but right now I would rather have a retired general as president than a Texas oil inheritance baby.

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

bush is spending dollars like they are grown off of tree's, well it looks like the demo's finally got someone who might be able to take george on, the other nine might as well go home.

9. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Thanks, michaello, I read that the last time you posted it -- very interesting article. As I said in the last thread, the emphasis on international institutions and international law is very good. So different from the neoconservative view of the world. A major plus in my book.

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I read in the paper this morning that Edwards also just announced his candidacy, which surprised me, because I thought he'd already announced. The pundits will watch him closely if only because only one Democrat from outside of the South has won the White House since 1948.

11. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

For those who are interested, I've found a transcript of CNN's Crossfire show with an interview with Clark in which he states he is pro-choice.

The full transcript is at:

http://www.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0306/25/cf.00.html

12. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

omg -- someone who can use brevity and say something substantial.

what would bush say if asked the same question? could he be as succint? let's see!

typical retardedness from bush. can he do any better?

and that position is...

so, he's pro-life because abortion has to do w/ life. yes, of _course_ it has to do with life. is there _anyone_ who disagrees? i'm detecting the straw man...

is it so damn hard to just say "i'm pro-life?"

clark's brevity is refreshing.

oh yes: link

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I was actually pretty impressed with the way he started his speech yesterday announcing his candidacy. Your typical polititian would have blustered on for a while before actually getting to the point. Clark starts with "My name is Wes Clark. I am from Arkansas. And I am here to announce that I intend to seek the presidency of the United States of America." (roughly paraphrased, couldn't find actual transcript yet)

Rare to hear a polititian keep it short, sweet, and to the point.

14. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

15. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Compare/contrast to Bush, who didn't even bother to show up for two years of his cushy Guard duty.

16. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

BTW, I'm pretty sure (85%) this is the guy who's getting my vote in the primary.

17. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

My opinions on Democratic candidates.

Clark - Most potent threat to Bush
    Dean - Loved by Dems, will destroy Dems if nominated
    Edwards - (no real opinion)
    Gephardt - Scoundrel
    Graham - Politician and presidential hopeful, laughingstock
    Kerry - Snake
    Kucinich - ???Who is he and why is he running???
    Lieberman - Solid, but has yet to grab anybody's imagination
    Mosely-Braun - By will of Dem leadership, to halve the Sharpton scare
    Sharpton - Scaring the Democratic leadership

I don't vote Democratic, but as you can see, the 2 candidates who I think could get rid of Bush if they were nominated are Lieberman and Clark. They are solid and respectable candidates who don't spew the same typical drivel you'll hear from some of the other candidates. What will be interesting now since Clark has finally declared is whether or not the Dems can get rid of their ticket to nowhere, aka Dean. He may be the ideal Democrat, but for America as a whole he sure isn't an ideal president.

(And now that I've told you all how to win the election, I bid you all to go vote for Kucinich and his chums at the bottom:D )

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah, if he can manage to nail down his stance on the war. Hopefully that was a rookie mistake, not a waffle. This didn't really help things in my book either. I'm hoping it's just a smear.

19. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Clark, like Clinton, is a moderate from Arkansas.

He doesn't owe anyone anything, and he's not a politician.

The way I see it, he's got all of Clinton's strengths and none of his weaknesses.

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

As long as he can keep some daylight between him and Clinton, but if he is seen as Clintons puppet the way Arnold is seen as Pete Wilson's, then Clark will have to deal with the Clinton legacy.

But yes, I generally like Clark too.

21. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I don't see any danger of that happening.

He really is his own man, I think, beholden to no party or political bosses. I don't think he'd have it any other way.

Because of this, he could be a modern-day Woodrow Wilson, playing the politcal machine against itself while the people benefit.

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

People said the same thing about Arnold until all the Wilson ties emerged. His camp still says he's his own man though. It's just a method of attack from the opposition, but one that Clark will be vulnerable to if he brings too many Clinton insiders onto his staff.

And I'm not naive enough to think that anybody gets to be president without becoming beholden to someone. Usually several someones. Or am I just to cynical?

23. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The "not a politician" thing only goes so far for a presidential candidate. It might create an initial appeal, but eventually people will begin asking themselves if he's got the kind of experience required to be an effective president. If Clark's got smart advisors, they'll already be working out how to address this question.

24. wwworry macrumors regular

Why do you say Gephardt is a scoundrel? I have not heard any scoundreling about Gephardt.

Kerry and Clark put Bush's and Cheney's military career to shame.

25. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Either one of them puts Bush's to shame.

Cheney just didn't have one; he did everything he had to do to stay out of the draft like clockwork.